Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

My Buschur Racing experience, 3 engines in 4,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Buschur Racing experience, 3 engines in 4,000 miles

In 2007 my stock motor let go on my 03 Evo 8, so I decided to go with Buschur and get one of his stage III short blocks. I also bought a stage III head, ported intake, throttle body and EM. In all I have spent well over $10,000 with Buschur Racing.

I installed the engine and after approx 100 miles it ate the crank position sensor, I replaced it and shortly after that it completely seized up. I pulled the engine and found the oil pan was full of bearing material.

I call Buschur and Nick has me send the engine back. Dave returns the “fixed” engine at his cost although I pay for shipping both ways, a new front cover, tensioner, oil cooler, gasket set, fluids, labor, etc. The “new” engine starts to do the same thing as the first engine. I call Buschur and tell him the problem. He proceeds to attack me. He starts throwing F bombs saying there in no F&%ing way that he did anything wrong and that I had to of screwed it up. I keep my cool and tell him and I don’t know what I could have possibly done. He asks me to drive the car there for evaluation. I tell him that there is no way it will make it. This comment infuriates him further, he continues to talk to down to me, essentially saying that I don’t what the f&%k I’m doing. Never once do I raise my voice or get upset with Buschur.

I pay to have the car flat bedded to Wakeman OH to Buschur’s shop. He contacts me and says they found the problem and will replace the engine. He says his “hillbilly” machine shop screwed up the engine and says they will fix it again.

I never got a straight answer on what exactly the problem was with the engine. Clearly Buschur was embarrassed as he had royally screwed up. But he would never admit it nor would he say what the problem was, nor did ever apologize for his poor performance. He only blamed his “hillbilly” machine shop. The only thing I could get from Buschur was that they used an Eagle aftermarket crank and either the crank was bad or the block wasn’t machined correctly as it would eat the thrust bearings in a matter of minutes. It appears that I was the guinea pig for the Eagle crank, as it had never been tried before. At this point Buschur has sent me the same engine twice with the exact same problem. Clearly Buschur did an extremely poor job doing a root cause analysis on what happened with the initial build. In my opinion he was probably upset that he was putting more time in an engine that he didn’t think failed due to him, so he did a half assed job a SECOND time and made the exact same mistake as he did before.

I want to get out of this fiasco at this point as I have lost all confidence in Bushur, but I felt stuck as I was committed to Buschur at this point. Although I was upset I never once acted like it.

He installs the third engine (the car has a total of about 150 miles since the fiasco started approx six months ago at this point) entirely at his cost. It’s a completely different block and crank, but I suspect he reused the rods and pistons. He calls me to tell me the car is done but before he puts it the dyno he asks if I have the right timing map in the AEM ECU. He said the timing map has way too much advance and asks if he should run it. I said I don’t know, I thought it was OK, but I’m not sure. It turns out the timing map was incorrect as I must have accidently modified it possibly when using the “compare” feature on AEM. Dave knows the timing map is bad by looking at it, but decides to make a full load pull using the bad ignition map on a freshly rebuilt engine with zero miles. I have the internal log from AEM showing it knocking over 4 volts on that pull. This is a good example of Dave’s attitude, arrogance, and lack of customer respect. Why would you purposely run a brand new engine with a knowingly bad ignition map? To spite a customer that you have just put through the ringer?

Anyway he corrects the timing map and does a full pulls and the car is complete. He makes some other minor changes to AEM, one of which does not allow the car to start when I get home.

I pay for a one way rental car to pick it up, again he tells me that the “hillbilly” machine shop screwed up and he was deducting all of his costs off his next payment(s) to the hillbilly.

Everything seems OK at this point (except for an oil pan leak) and I’m not happy but glad the fiasco appears to be over. I drive the car a little the spring of 2007, take it to the track a few times, etc and then really don’t drive it until November of 2009.

I use the car as my winter ride for the winter of 09, essentially using the same calibration as Buschur except for some timing reduction. In April of 2010 the car develops a ticking noise. It sounds like a lifter so I replace them, but that wasn’t the problem. The third engine completely fails again in April of 2010. The car has approx 4,000 miles since the installation of the third Bushur engine.

I pull the engine in late 2010 to find out that one piston had completely split in half at the wrist pin hole. The piston takes out four valves when it let’s go. I send Buschur a picture of the piston and he admits that he had failures with that piston design and he has made several changes to the design. My guess is he makes a piston design change everytime there is a failure, so there have probably been several failures due to a marginal piston design other than mine. It sounds to me he is directly involved with the piston design as well. He tells me that he’ll fix the engine at his cost. I’m sure he doesn’t know who I am at this point.

I sent him the third failed engine at my cost. Nick is handling it at this point, He sends me an invoice saying it’s going to be $2000.00 to fix it as it needs a new crank (the old has a small crack) new pistons and rings, sleeve one cylinder, new bearings, resize the rods, and assembly.

I tell him I’m not paying another nickel with Buschur racing and to reconsider. I also told him that I don’t want to do it, but I will tell my story on Evom and get an attorney involved if I have to.

Naturally I hear from Dave at this point. He says he will not be threatened and essentially tells me to go F&*k myself. He also indicated that it was “my” tune and insinuated that my tune caused the failure as I asked some “novice” questions about E85 tuning in 2007 on Evom. He also tells me if I “tarnish” his name on Evom that he’ll get his lawyer involved.

The pistons showed no signs of detonation, so Dave is probably wrong again.

I asked Dave again to fix it at his cost because it’s the right thing to do. Now he says I’ve insulted him and he will not fix it at all.

I tell Nick to put the pieces in the container I supplied and I’ll arrange shipping to pick it up. Dave responds back and says I owe him money to inspect and package the engine. I told him I never authorized any work and will not be paying to inspect it. He is now holding the engine parts hostage unless I pay him $250.00 for the inspection.

So that’s my story with Buschur Racing, and it’s the absolute truth. My recommendation to you all; Stay away from Buschur Racing.

Last edited by Brian; Mar 18, 2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
This is a complete waste of my time but since it is posted I have to respond. First off, in 22 years of doing business I've NEVER been taken to court, I have a PERFECT BBB report and have NEVER not been able to work out a problem with a customer. This guy is the exception to that.

The response is going to be long but it has to be to get the facts out there. I have all invoices of every dime he ever spent printed and saved along with his e-mails at this point, because of his threats of a lawyer. So here are the facts:

1. 5-22-06, we built a Stage 3 engine and head and shipped the parts to him to install himself. Shortly after, yes it did fail. I can't remember what my attitude was on the subject but it is generally controlled by the customers attitude and I'm guessing his sucked from what he said my response was.

2. We repaired that engine, he paid for a front cover, timing belt and tensioner, I have the bills for that. We paid to ship it back. If you were not happy with that in 2006 you should have said something.......not bring it up 5 years later.

3. That engine failed again. Let me say at the time we were convinced how great the Eagle cranks were. EVERYONE we tried had a problem and in the same year we recommended them we also STOPPED using them and refuse to use them to this day.

4. We paid to fix that engine again. He paid for a crank sensor and front cover/oil pump. I also paid the shipping on the car to our shop from his place in South Bend, IN and back to him, I have those bills here too. Those are dated 1-8-07.

**Note, up to this date, I stood behind my work. I fixed both engines and paid shipping on the car to and from our shop. Let me also note the bottom of our invoices state: "BUSCHUR RACING SELLS PRIMARILY CUSTOM RACE PARTS WITH NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED" With this said IF I PERSONALLY SCREW UP OR OUR MACHINE SHOP SCREWS UP I warranty our engines. That is the verbal warranty we give with each and ever engine we sell. In the case of that first engine the failures fell under that verbal warranty (my word as an honest man) and I stood behind them.

Now, let's get to the interesting parts.

The car came back here with a "tune" if you can call it that from the customer. Here is a screen shot of the fuel and timing maps he had in the car:

I did do a base pull with his maps in the car to see how it ran. Of course until I ran the car I couldn't know how inexperienced the tuner was. After the pull is when I contacted him to ask if he wanted someone who knew how to actually tune a car to do the job.

Here is the fuel and timing maps the car left with:

Here is a link to the thread Richard started March 11th 2007. This is just over a month after getting the car back. He decided it was time to tune it again...........you'd think after the first mess he'd want to leave it alone, I guess not. As you can see from the first set of maps that were in the car I had to fix and this thread, I am not unjustified in telling him he showed a "lack of knowledge" (my exact words in my email) in tuning.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ae...85-tuning.html

Then here we are in October of 2007. Obviously the car is running good. Obviously HE has had the engine apart again, as he has bought a timing belt tensioner from us, added BF272 cams and RETUNED the car again for C16. When it left here it was tuned at 25 psi on pump gas only. So here's a guy that claims he was treated badly and cussed out BUT as we can see, he bought a tensioner, added our cams etc. Also still bragging about his BR parts/build that are in his signature. Doesn't seem very displeased with our service and parts to me. Here is the post about his new record he set, post #167:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/dr...9-list-12.html

So let's make all this clear again. I stood behind my work when the failure was what I'd consider my fault. The customer obviously was happy with how we handled things as he continued to use our parts and do business with us and had good results at the track, leaving our parts in his signature. Let's also be clear I DO NOT warranty engine that someone else re-tunes after I tune them. I also only warranty something that was my mistake or our machine shops. I also don't warranty engines for the life of ownership, get real. Auto manufacturers void their warrantees as soon as you modify the car, they also have TIME and MILEAGE limits on even their STOCK cars. Here is an engine I fixed FOUR YEARS ago that has been drag raced and self tuned by an obvious amateur.

As he said, he told me the piston failed. Here is what HE said above, "He tells me that he’ll fix the engine at his cost."

So Richard sends the engine in to us, knowing as he says in his own words we are going to fix it at our cost. I pay my guy to take it apart, clean it up, check over damage. We then pay the machine shop to magnaflux the crank and they find a crack in it. The cylinder is damaged and needs a sleeve. So here is the work to be performed: New crank, re-size the rods, bore/hone/deck the block/ new pistons, new rings, new rod/main/thrust bearings, new balance shaft kit. In other words a complete new Stage 3 engine with the exception of his rods being used again and re-sized. For reference, this work would typically cost a customer $3800. He did buy it from us and I do help anyone who support us. We quote all this work at ONLY $1881. Shipping back to him was $200, total $2081.

His response to me was (the highlights): "I got the estimate. It's unacceptable. I don't want to tell my story on EVOm but I will, I will also get my attorney involved if need by. you guys need to foot the entire bill"

I HATE being threatened. My responses I kept extremely professional so if we went to court I looked like a saint. I responsed (highlights): "Based on the threat of EVOm and an attorney I am sorry but I can no longer discuss any of this. Feel free to have your attorney contact me. Typically these things are easily figured out but when threats start flying with attorneys I know it's best to stop talking."

A few e-mails later I said to him (highlights): "You self tuned the engine. I warranty engines based on a mistake on my part or the machine shops. In this case the pistons simply failed that has nothing to do with my work or the machine shops. I also did NOT tune the car and it was FOUR years ago."

He emails with these highlights: "YOU said YOU would warranty it. YOU tune it, not me. I have only driven the car 4000 miles since 2007. I'm not bull****ting you when I say I'm getting my attorney involved. Trust me, you really don't want to down that road. Belly up to the bar and fix the engine at your cost, it's the right thing to do."

I then outlined, as I just did a few paragraphs earlier, that we were fixing the engine at our cost. Which he agreed to when he sent it to us. $1800 is a LONG way from $3800. I'm still standing behind our product 4 years after we built it, self tuned and who knows what else. It confuses me to what his deal even is as I am doing what I told him I'd do in the first place, fix it at my cost and he agreed to it. Now he wants my cost to be ZERO it seems.

He again responds after my explaining our cost and the bill with this (highlights again):

"I'm the one that got ****ed, not you" And then you accuse me of being a novice, you don't even know me, trust me, you couldn't carry my jockstrap."

That's a good one, I may use that line myself. I didn't know he was a **** star though! haha Richard, you are no tuner as anyone can see and that's what the subject was. hahaha

At this point he said just return the engine to him. I explained that was fine but it was sent in with the understanding we were repairing it at our cost and he was fine with that. So now I was out re-sizing the rods, magnafluxing the crank clean up time, inspection time, transporting it back and forth from the machine shop, boxing it back up etc. I told him he'd have to pay $200 for all that and I'd eat the price of re-sizing the rods. He said, "I never authorized or approved any inspection work, and therefore will not be paying any invoice associated with inspection.

Corrret me if I am wrong readers but he says in his own words he knew I was fixing it at my cost and sent it in to us.......seems like approval to me to fix it entirely and certainly it needs inspected to fix it.

In the end. I have done my part and stood behind my work. I am not going to warranty a self tuned, drag raced engine that is 4 years old. The failure was from a wrist pin pulling out of the bottom of a piston. We have constantly strived to build the best parts and in doing this we constantly are making changes to everything we do. Pistons are no exception and our pistons have been through probably 20 design changes to keep improving strength, flame travel, types of rings used etc. This failure was not a fault of mine in assembly or machine work. I am still standing behind it doing the work over $2,000 less than a typical new build would cost, basically doing it for what it costs me in parts and labor, WHICH IN HIS OWN WORDS HE AGREED TO.

I am simply confused as to what the problem is..........
Old Mar 18, 2011, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

OK, hang on a second guys. This thread was started last night against the rules of EVOM and I was not around to respond. I had the first post Richard wrote sent to me via email from a friend and typed my response based on that. Now I see it's been edited and Richard further proves himself to be unstable and a liar. Above in his post you will see he says this:

"I asked Dave again to fix it at his cost because it’s the right thing to do. Now he says I’ve insulted him and he will not fix it at all."

This is an absolute LIE. Richard refuses to pay anything and you will see that in his own responses, threats and insults to be below.

Remember, go to the bottom as that is the first email and read back up to the top.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----- Original Message -----
To: davidbuschur@buschurracing.com
Subject: Re: BR stage 3 block crank results

I never authorized or approved any inspection work, and therefore will not be paying any invoice associated with inspection.

-----Original Message-----
To: hoosiermp <hoosiermp>
Sent: Wed, Mar 16, 2011 10:37 am

I will have Nick put together a bill for inspection and packaging of the engine. He said you are arranging your own shipping. He will call you for payment information and let you know when it's ready to be picked up.

I'll add your replies to your folder for court.

David Buschur
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 10:50 AM

The pistons would show signs of detonation if the tune was bad, they do not. I'm not spending another nickel with you. I've spent way too much already. If you were me you'd be upset too. Nor would you buy anything more a supplier that's done what you have to me. Three engines in 4,000 miles from the "best" what a joke. You would have been on EvoM a long time ago bashing a vendor that's performed like you have.

You're not out a nickel, you told me you charged the "hillbilly" for the Eagle crank fiasco, and you can't even cough a measley $2,000 to make things right. I'm the one that got ****ed, not you. And then you accuse me of being a novice, you don't even know me, trust me, you couldn't carry my jockstrap.

I'm done talking to you. Send me the engine back.

Sent: Wed, Mar 16, 2011 7:48 am

Your dates and facts are incorrect.

The last time the car was tuned was 1-10-07, one log from when I started on it is labeled "customermap". Then checking your file on the car I have the tune I pulled out of the car labeled as "customersmess". I also went on EVOm and pulled the thread down and printed and copied all the questions and lack of knowledge you showed in the thread asking about tuning the car........the thread I copied and saved is from 3-07, so it was tuned by you after you picked the car up in your own words.

The piston design was found to be marginal. Our pistons have gone through probably 20 changes over the years. JE has constantly redesigned their parts to handle more and more stress and power as those levels have gone up. I did not design the pistons, that is JE. I stand behind our engines, as I told you, IF the failure is due to something I did or improper machine work. In this case the piston failed at the pin boss. In this case the engine is also 4 years old and was self tuned both of which are out of any type of limits I'd consider warranty work to be fair. With that said I am standing behind the work by giving you a huge discount on fixing it. The only thing I am using again in your engine is the rods, which BTW we already has re-sized because I assumed you'd fix the engine. Our Stage 3 shortblock with a good block and crank core is $3050. Since you already had good rods that would knock $600 off the price, leaving you $2450 to have the engine done by us. BUT, your crankshaft is bad, this adds $750 to the build cost. So in actuality that's $3800 for anyone else to come in here and have the same engine done, minus the rods, $3200. I am supplying new pistons, rings, bearings, crank, crank balancing, thrust bearing, balance shaft eliminator kit, bore/hone/deck the block and assembly for $1881, $200 additional for shipping back to you. I'm doing this because I did build the engine 4 YEARS AGO and still want to help you out because you bought it from us. That's as good as my offer could get.

David Buschur

Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:05 PM

You've already admitted fault, I have the email from you in January 2011 where YOU admit the piston design was marginal. YOU said YOU would warranty it.YOU tuned the engine not me, you ran it on your dyno and I even have the internal logs from AEM where it detonates in fourth gear (On YOUR dyno with the corresponding date stamp) and I have a copy of the calibration file that YOU did. I had to take out 2-3 degrees of timing to get to stop detonating. I even had to change something on start up because the car wouldn't start when I got home. YOU even tuned it when I came there in 2004 when YOU put in HKS cams and the AEM computer. I have only driven the car 4000 miles since 2007.

I'm not bull****ting you when I say I'm getting my attorney involved. Trust me, you really don't want to down that road. Belly up to the bar and fix the engine at your cost, it's the right thing to do.

Sent: Tue, Mar 15, 2011 1:30 pm

Your e-mail below was the first I have heard from you and it was a threat. I do not do well with threats. Running to the internet to solve your problem or hiring a lawyer are both threats.

The engine that had the Eagle crank in it that failed I warranteed. The engine that is in your car has been in there since 2007. YOU self tuned that engine, I have printed and saved the posts from EVOm about your self tuning and learning on your own car. I stand behind our engines for failures from anything I did, whether that be a mistake on my end or machine work. In this case you had a piston failure, that is nothing to do with anything I did on the assembly or in the machine work. I also did not tune the car AND it's been FOUR years. There is no reason for me to warranty it.

David
To: davidbuschur@buschurracing.com ; nick@buschurracing.com
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2011 3:25 PM

I figured you would respond that way. I don't have anything to lose, I wasn't going to buy anything else from you anyway. I'm only going to tell the truth, I don't know how that's considered a threat. If the truth tarnishes your name so be it.

I've been more than professional with you and have gone out of my to accommodate you and this the response I get.

Have a great day.

Richard Sierra

Cc: Nick Ryan <nick@buschurracing.com>
Sent: Mon, Mar 14, 2011 12:58 pm

Based on the threat of EVOm and an attorney I'm sorry but I can no longer further discuss any of this. Feel free to have your attorney contact me, when he does I will put him in contact with an attorney I will have to hire. Typically these things are easily figured out but when the threats start flying with attorneys I know it's best to stop talking.

Keep in mind that attempting to tarnish my name will result in legal action of my own.

Have a wonderful day.

David
To: nick@buschurracing.com ; davidbuschur@buschurracing.com
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2011 12:31 PM

I got the estimate. It's unacceptable. I have spent well over $10,000 with Buschur Racing. (I don't even want to total it because it's probably closer to $20,000) I have gone through three engines in 4,000 miles. None of the failures have been my fault. I have spent hundreds of hours of my own time not to mention all the money I have spent on parts needed every time the engine is pulled and reassembled. (i.e. gaskets, timing belt tensioners, etc) I paid the have the car flatbedded the last time you guys decided to put the junk Eagle crank in the engine the second time.

Please reconsider, I don't want to tell my story on Evom but I will, I will also get my attorney involved if need be. You guys need to foot the entire bill.

Last edited by David Buschur; Mar 18, 2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:34 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Folks, we are going to keep this thread open for awhile, however, the ONLY people that have any factual information are the OP and Bushcur racing. Useless comments will be removed and the thread will be closed if it devolves into a flaming mess. Thanks.

Bob..
Old Mar 18, 2011, 09:34 AM

First off, Dave has a selective memory, he called me first about the timing map BEFORE running it on the dyno. He knew the ignition map was bad and ran it anyway.

Anybody that knows Dave knows about his abrasive and egomaniac personality. He attacked me about the second failure, I did not prompt it. It just more Dave BS. It's my belief that he thinks he is the only game in town and that his customer's are lucky to have him around. He's got the audacity to call me unstable, yikes.

He is honestly the most unprofessional business man I have ever dealt with in my career.

I've already explained why the timing map looked like it did. Regarding the fuel map it's not pretty but it functions fine. Anyway as I mentioned before, if the tune was bad there would be signs of detonation on the pistons and there is not. You know damn well Dave would have posted pictures of the pistons if that was the case.

I assembled all the engines, the assembly was never an issue, it's just further bashing by Dave. He even commented on how well the car was put together.

I was happy that the car was finally running, I was never happy with Buschur Racing, that's Dave assuming again.

I NEVER told him I would pay to have the engine fixed. He has no proof of that and yet he says I said it. He ASSUMED I would pay to fix it. Just because I sent the engine back for evaluation doesn't mean I'm going to pay fix it. And he has the audacity to call me a liar. He even trying to charge me to "transport" the engine across the street to the hillbilly machine shop.

Regarding his statement that he has never been taken to court, IMO (assuming it's even true) that's because no one has had the ***** or means to do it.

I strongly suspect I'm the not only Buschur Racing customer that has a similar story, I think most guys are afraid to to say it here. In the short time the original post was up, I received a PM thanking me for sharing my story and having the courage to post it.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 09:45 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Uh, probably too late now, but wouldn't it be polite to remove the email addresses from the conversation? Not everyone wants their personal email address posted on the web... Just a thought regarding Dave's 2nd post.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you for opening the thread back up Bob, much appreciated.

All of the facts are there in the three top posts. There is no he said she said at this point, it's all right there. Very simple to sort through.

As you just said in your post Richard: "He tells me that he’ll fix the engine at his cost." Then you say: "I sent him the third failed engine at my cost. Nick is handling it at this point, He sends me an invoice saying it’s going to be $2000.00 to fix it as it needs a new crank (the old has a small crack) new pistons and rings, sleeve one cylinder, new bearings, resize the rods, and assembly.

I tell him I’m not paying another nickel with Buschur racing and to reconsider. I also told him that I don’t want to do it, but I will tell my story on Evom and get an attorney involved if I have to."

So here lies the confusion. I told you what I would do, fix the engine at our cost, that cost is $1800, again I point out $2,000 less than normal as there is NO labor on my end and no profit. I told you this BEFORE you shipped the engine. You sent the engine in to have this performed obviously as you knew what I told you prior to sending it. Then once the quote was fixed you told me, as you point out, you were not willing to pay for anything. It's clear to anyone you are confused.

You are attempting to slander me after I've gone out of my way and always made things right, I am not the only game in town yet you have continued to come back and purchase things, even parts available at your local dealer. Obviously you were much happier than you are attempting to convince anyone NOW.

Blacksheep, I edited the emails for you. I asked permission to post those emails in their full content first, for reference.

Last edited by David Buschur; Mar 18, 2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:57 AM

For the record, I have only bought one tensioner and four valves from Buschur. since the fiasco.

It's a lot more convenient to call Nick than it is to go to my dealer for OEM parts. When the last failure took out the valves, I had no choice but to buy them from Buschur as I don't know the specs to buy them from anyone else.

Dave, this may be hard for you to understand, but do you really think I ever had any intention of paying for a fourth engine? I think someone would be unstable if they hadn't learned their lesson after three.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

You have paid for ONE engine as you have noted in your story. I have covered the other damages. You had one built in 2006, Eagle crank failed I fixed it, crank failed again, I fixed it. Now you have that same engine I fixed the 2nd time in the car and it's been in there for four years. YOU paid for one. Obviously after you contacted me and I told you, "I will fix it and charge your our cost to repair it" and you sent us the engine knowing that you had the plans to have us fix it......maybe your mom cut off your allowance and now you can't, I don't know what happened but to anyone with half a brain it was obvious you planned to have us fix it this time too.......
Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:48 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Speedlimit
Folks, we are going to keep this thread open for awhile, however, the ONLY people that have any factual information are the OP and Bushcur racing. Useless comments will be removed and the thread will be closed if it devolves into a flaming mess. Thanks.

Bob..
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Go ahead and lock it down so you guys don't have to deal with it. All posts from members are being removed and I have nothing else to say about it. I've been dealing with it for over a week as it is.

Thank you.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 02:19 PM

Here's the email string from my initial contact with Buschur in Jan 2010. Note my response in the first line:

I'll ship you the engine for your review. The bore is damaged, not sure if the block is salvageable. I'll ship it next week and let you know when I do.

To: hoosiermp <
Sent: Mon, Jan 10, 2011 9:33 am
Subject: Re: another failure

That sucks, obviously. Sorry to hear it/see it.

That piston is old in the actual time line of an engineering stand point of the piston. We had quite a few pistons on high HP/RPM cars fail in the same way as the power level of the cars went up in the EVO when we started. I don't know if you've ever seen it but I've said on the forums our pistons have gone through probably 10 changes in the last 2 years. The only piston failures we ever saw were exactly what you have just shown me. The pin boss area on JE's casting was too weak in the beginning and would come apart on higher hp/rpm cars occasionally. So that was one of the improvements we had them make to the forging we use now. The actual first change I remember making was to the valve reliefs, so I can tell by the picture that that particular piston is really old in design because the valve reliefs are the original small style reliefs.

I guess what I am getting at is, I see what happened, I know what happened and I have no excuse other than JE's original piston was simply too weak in the pin boss area. It's a flaw of the piston not being strong enough. Nothing you or I did, simply a piston too weak in the pin area.

The pistons, as I said, have gone through at least 10 changes in the last 2 years. Everytime we find something we can improve on we have them do it. From the valve reliefs, to the dome shape, to the compression height, pin itself, pin boss area, weight, ring placement, pin diameter, pin length, pin material etc. All have been changed on at a time and some of those things multiple times.

The best I can do is offer to fix it at my cost of machine work and parts. The rod looks to be intact, I can check it for straightness and if it's straight it would be a fairly inexpensive rebuild, I'd guess. I can't tell if the cylinder wall is damaged.

Let me know what you'd like to do.

David

Sent: Sunday, January 09, 2011 5:05 PM
Subject: another failure

David,

This is Richard Sierra, I had another engine failure. It's a Buschur stage III shortblock with around 4,000 miles. The piston failed at the wrist pin and completely separated from the rod pin.
I have attached some pictures. It took out four valves and a rocker arm, but the head appears OK other than that. The bottom end of the engine seems OK too.

Let me know your thoughts on why the engine/piston may have failed or if you need any more information.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 02:49 PM

Here's another Buschur email from today, the ransom is now up to $330.00.

I see your post on EVOm and of course have had to take up a considerable amount of my time responding.

In reading your own words I have come to a few conclusions. First you personally said that I agreed to fix the engine at our cost. You then sent the engine here to have that done. We quoted the engine repair. You then somehow lost your mind.

In all the confusion I thought we had done something we were not suppose to and agreed to eat the price of the rods. Now that I see I originally told you I'd fix it for our cost and you agreed by sending the engine here I am no longer willing to eat the cost of the rods. By sending the engine here you accepted the offer to repair the engine at our cost.

Therefore, the bill that Nick sent you via e-mail for $250 plus the repair of the rods for $80 is the cost of what we did. That gives you a total of $330.

I can send an itemized bill to you if you like. You can take this to court if you like, unfortunately for you it's not looking too good and you have publically written my offer and showed you accepted it by shipping the engine here. So you DID authorize repair by sending the engine.

I find that you are not a truthful person and do not trust accepting a credit card payment by you because it can be charged back. The only payment acceptable in this case is a cashier's check or money order payable to Buschur Racing. When we receive the payment we will call you and you can arrange pick up of the engine.

Further, since the thread was locked on EVOm you posted I cut and pasted it onto High Boost Forums, that way you can further discuss your side of the story if you chose to.

I also have the original post you put up on EVOm saved with the slanderous statements saved.

Thank you,

David Buschur
Old Mar 18, 2011, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

OK, GREAT! Thank you for posting the original e-mail! It goes even further in proving what I said, what I said I'd do and that I did actually try to do what I told you I'd do! You continue to make yourself look worse with every post. The only thing I could not for see was the crank being cracked which added over $700 to the cost of the repair.

Also perfect on posting the e-mail I sent you today, no problem. You are being charged for magna fluxing, clean up, disassembly, re-sizing the rods, handling/messing with it and repackaging. You are obviously dishonest and there is no way I'm taking a credit card payment from you.

BTW, MANY post have been constantly deleted from this thread bashing you, so you know. mods are home form the naught now, I see finally made it through....
Old Mar 19, 2011, 04:41 AM

Dave in his infinite wisdom decides it's a good idea to post this same thread on his high boost forum. He even invites me to join in the "discussion".

His good buddy Curt Brown posts this cowardly response:

"Maybe he will come to the shootout and we can introduce him to our friend BRICK, Im sure Brick would like to to explain to him that he is a douche bag while he turns him inside out. "

You're a real pro Dave, are you and your brainwashed cronies planning to "visit" me soon too?

Since you still don't get it, I'll explain it so maybe you can even understand it.

I HAVE ANOTHER ENGINE, I DON'T NEED THE ENGINE YOU ARE HOLDING HOSTAGE. I NEVER INTENDED TO PAY YOU TO FIX IT, NOR DID I EVER INTEND ON PUTTING ANYMORE OF YOU SUBSTANDARD PRODUCT ON MY CAR.

If I could get the engine back at little to no cost, I planned to sell it to recoup some of my losses.

I get copied on the deleted posts too, it's just a few of your cronies getting themselves banned.

It's not about the money Dave, it's about your poor workmanship, horrible quality control, poor engineering, and negligence.