Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Redline MT-90 vs. Amsoil MTG?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
decided to go w/ the Amsoil MTG, picked up 3qts today along w/ some SSO 0W-30 and Severe Gear 75W-90 for the t-case. plan to go w/ diaqueen for the rear end
Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scsi
decided to go w/ the Amsoil MTG, picked up 3qts today along w/ some SSO 0W-30 and Severe Gear 75W-90 for the t-case. plan to go w/ diaqueen for the rear end

Between a choice of MT90 or amsoil mtg I would recommend the Amsoil MTG. I have tried both of those in my tranny and the MTG has a much better feel even cold. You will like it.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
I've had the Amsoil MTG and just switched over to Pennzoil Synchromesh to try out.

Cold weather, it shifts smoother than Amsoil and when it warmed up for a couple days 2 weeks ago, it shifted way smoother than Amsoil and/or OEM Diaqueen. As far as protection goes... Before using this oil, I searched and quite a few people have been using this for over 100,000+ miles without any issues. Also it was the recommended oil for DSM's for their notchy synchro issues if I'm not mistaken. However I dont road coarse my Evo so I wont be putting it under extreme conditions.

Not what you were asking for exactly, but something to consider.
Originally Posted by ultm8mind
I use Syncromesh for the tranny and Diaqueen for the t-case, I can't complain a bit on either one....
I also use Syncromesh as it was recommended by Tobz in Denver. I've been happy ever since. I also noticed Redline to be notchy in cold weather, but Syncromesh is smooth! But how often are you guys changing the Syncromesh? I'm doing every 15k miles.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had both, and I now use the OEM Diaqueen tranny fluid.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:33 PM

I just picked up an evo so im no expert but I did afluid change with royal purple right off the bat as it was the best the local shops offeredand I was not impressed as it felt no different then whatever was in there. I then picked up the amsoil and I could tell an immediate difference while my experience is not with redline I can vouch that amsoil is a solid product.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 10isace
I also use Syncromesh as it was recommended by Tobz in Denver. I've been happy ever since. I also noticed Redline to be notchy in cold weather, but Syncromesh is smooth! But how often are you guys changing the Syncromesh? I'm doing every 15k miles.

http://www.teamrip.com/manual_transm...tion_info.html

Scroll down a bit for info about why Synchromesh isnt recommended in our evos. Jon @ TRE knows his stuff. He also lists service intervals as well for all your evo drivetrain needs.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Amsoil hands down
Old Jul 26, 2011, 09:11 PM

When I paid for my tranny over the phone I asked the guys at Shepard what oil I should use in it (since they rebuilt it) and they said Redline MT90.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by TommiM
http://www.teamrip.com/manual_transm...tion_info.html

Scroll down a bit for info about why Synchromesh isnt recommended in our evos. Jon @ TRE knows his stuff. He also lists service intervals as well for all your evo drivetrain needs.
Funny cause Jon is the guy that recommended Syncromesh in my tranny back in 05 but to follow a strict change interval of 6-10k

Syncromesh here for well over 100k. You couldn't pay me to use a different tranny fluid .

"HYPE" the stuff automotive forums are made of
Old Aug 1, 2011, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Funny cause Jon is the guy that recommended Syncromesh in my tranny back in 05 but to follow a strict change interval of 6-10k

Syncromesh here for well over 100k. You couldn't pay me to use a different tranny fluid .

"HYPE" the stuff automotive forums are made of
Maybe new info came to light, Jon could have done more research and found it not as great as he orignially thought perhaps,
Werent 20g wheel upgrades all the rage back in the days--but not so much now?
If he still recommends it today I dont know why he would contradict himself on his website. Jon does awesome work, he did an awesome job on my rear diff. I have been using the fluids he recommends on my evo that has been tracked and autoxd regularly and never had drivetrain issues so I can only stick with what has worked for me.
I dont know enough about synchromesh compatibility in the evo tranny to argue with you, all Im simply stating is What TRE, who specializes in evo drivetrains, recommends.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Yea not sure man but Syncromesh has kept my trans shifting great for years and years now. As I said with his recommendation came a strict 6-10k change interval recommendation as well.

I change all my fluids every 6-10k always have. OEM TC, Tranny, and rear diff. Syncromesh and Diaqueen is all she's seen.