Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

My JAM Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2011, 03:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mayberry
I understand you can say that. But without seeing the emails we can't tell how your attitude was in the first place. If your initial email was dropping rude and filled with accusations, that would immediately put them on the defense. In which case your outcome should have been expected. Getting another motor sent to you, albeit the wrong displacement, is unheard of. Regardless who's fault it is.

With that being said, I'm sorry you had a bad experience with them. It does strike me funny that they left the balance shafts installed on a built engine. Especially one that was being run up to 8500rpm. It also doesn't sit well with me you used a K1 crank. A quick Google search turned up a few thrust bearing failures.

Just to put this out there, I've never done any business with JAM. The fact that a sales representative is the one that gave you the diagnosis is a bit unsettling. They could have had a technician contact you. Also, the fact they she told you her personal problems is unprofessional. You should send her a bill for counseling fees! lol. Seriously though. I'm happy your car is up and running. Good luck with it in the future. This post won't stay up long as JAM is a sponsor on the forum. So I'm sure they will chime in soon and tell everyone what an a-hole you are.

For curiosities sake, do you mind sharing what the rest of your set up consists of? What engine management, turbo, cams, head work, and so on?
Emails...I was always polite to them even when I was sent the 2.3. I complained to Carmela about the 2.3 but she just made out it wasn't JAM's fault. She then started ignoring my emails so I sent her one asking if she is ignoring me. SHe then ignored me again! I then sent an email saying I would post the facts of what has happened on the Evo forums if she didn't respond. I told her I didn't want to fall out but all I got was the last email in my post above. Apparently I am not intelligent and I'm a jerk. All this despite the evidence Clivew has prodiced in the photos. It's black and white so I don't see why they didn't just admit it and send me a 2.2. Again, I still haven't received a professional engineers report, just them blaming the clutch, detonation, injectors, the inlet manifold...I am surprised she didn't blame the underpants I was wearing that day. Anything but the JAM engine was at fault.

Not looked into the k1 crank/TB issues but you would expect a reputable tuner like JAM to provide me with a suitable crank if that's the case.

Balancer belt: I told JAM that I did not want to run a balancer belt but they said it's the best way. I put aside what I knew and listened to them instead, as they are supposed to be the professionals.

My old 2.2 Spec. Stage 4 JAM head, stage 3 bottom end. AMS GT35 turbo. Kelford 272 cams. Standard Ecu running speed density. 99 octane pump fuel.

Last edited by KennyRS; Apr 2, 2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 03:24 PM

...and I'm not the only one to have had problems:

http://highboostforum.com/forum/show...-auto-machine?
Old Apr 2, 2011, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
thats very unprofessional of them!
Old Apr 2, 2011, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow man sorry u had to go through all of that.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dang that had to suck. I've heard of alot of people being screwed like this myself included. Not by a engine builder but I had my honda turboed and the shop used teflon tape on the inlet threads. My turbo lasted maybe 2k miles if that but" they. Didn't do it" or so they said. Gl getting this mess sorted out
Old Apr 2, 2011, 03:55 PM

Thanks guys. I am just glad we salvaged something out of this terrible situation.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 108 Posts
If I were you I would sue them. You have enough evidence and they have none.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by deylag
If I were you I would sue them. You have enough evidence and they have none.
I'm in England, otherwise yes.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CliveW
It doesn't matter what crank you use, if the thrust bearing is installed the wrong way round, it will fail!

The reason it didn't fail immediately is because it was the one that wasn't taking the clutch thrust loads, only crank float.

With both thrust bearings in front of me it was blindingly obvious that one had been installed incorrectly. What should have been the side against the crank (with the oil grooves) had absolutely no wear marks on it, and the other side of this bearing which would normally sit against the block, had massive wear and had turned blue from heat. (which it would as it's a steel backing plate with no oil grooves or tapers on the end for oiling!)
I'm not saying that isn't the case. I'm not questioning your findings or opinion. Just stated results I've seen.

Originally Posted by KennyRS
...and I'm not the only one to have had problems:

http://highboostforum.com/forum/show...-auto-machine?

I was just curious about your set up, trying to put all the details out there. I'm not in any way trying to say it wasn't JAM's fault. Like I said in my last post. I'm happy things worked out for you in the end.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 11:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Sorry for your trouble. I have installed 3 or 4 JAM engines and they are all still running well as far as I know. Hopefully this will be all behind you soon.

I am surprised the balance tensioner did not scream bloody murder as being installed backwards would cause it to rub on the front case.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 01:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mayberry
I'm not saying that isn't the case. I'm not questioning your findings or opinion. Just stated results I've seen.

I was just curious about your set up, trying to put all the details out there. I'm not in any way trying to say it wasn't JAM's fault. Like I said in my last post. I'm happy things worked out for you in the end.
Yep, that's how I understood your post, no probs, just wanted to reiterate my findings of the thrust bearings

Thing is, we understand mistakes can be made, we're all human after all, but it's how you deal with them that really matters.

At no point did JAM take responsibility or admit any errors in the build, and Kenny ended up with a half built 2.3 without any gaskets, oil pump, bolts etc, when he had paid for a fully built 2.2 (the original which failed due to multiple errors by JAM)
Old Apr 3, 2011, 04:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
so they installed a thrust bearing on wrong and are denying it? WOW.. then sent you the wrong block back to top it off.. i would be extremely irate.. i don't blame you one bit for documenting it all on here for others to see. so sorry about your bad luck.

good job getting him back in action Clive.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by tscompusa
so they installed a thrust bearing on wrong and are denying it? WOW.. then sent you the wrong block back to top it off.. i would be extremely irate.. i don't blame you one bit for documenting it all on here for others to see. so sorry about your bad luck.

good job getting him back in action Clive.
Yes, exactly that. They didn't even come up with a engineer's report with another reason for the failure.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 01:35 PM

sorry to here about this Kenny really poor service from JAM, I have always though of Jam as being up there but this puts them under a dark cloud!
Would of posted on the MLR thread but as im not a paying member anymore I cant
Old Apr 3, 2011, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

this is not new news, jam Suck big camel ***. I have fix 3 short blocks that they built.

1. The water jackets leak bad.

2. The balance shafts on one of the motors locked and the car jump timing.

3. The way they clear the squitters on a 2.3 is grinding like a cave man the side of the piston.

Quick Reply: My JAM Nightmare