Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Buschur Racing parts and experience FTW.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2011, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Buschur Racing parts and experience FTW.

Some of you might remember my post a couple years ago with the HTA Green, made 500+ dynojet on stock block, ran 11.2 @ 129 with only 3 passes attempted, shot the #3 rod out of the block a few days later. Since then, I really haven't done much posting. In fact, the entire thing made me sick to my stomach for a long time. I eventually got a built shortblock and put it all back together with an FP Black this time, but even after a whole new build my problems just wouldn't stop.

Trying to tune the new setup proved to be frustrating to say the least, and the root symptom was the engine tossing its coolant. After working through all the small problems, we'd get it running good and strong on pump, then switch to the E85 tune. Anything over about 35psi and it would fill up the coolant bottle or pop freeze plugs out of the engine. I must have replaced the headgasket (stock) and ARP's 3 or 4 times, had the head checked for flatness and pressure tested, checked the block for flatness.. nothing looked wrong. Working with the tune, we could up the boost and pull the timing to the point where we'd lose 50whp if we took any more timing out of it.. the car made crap for power, and when we did put timing that make sense into it, it would make great smooth power (620 dynojet) but toss the coolant.

I talked to lots of people over the winter and got tons of opinions and experiences on what 'might be' going on with the motor. I was almost convinced I needed to rip it out of the car and buy a new shortblock until I talked to David Buschur.

I sent the head out to Buschur's where they cut and installed stainless steel o-rings in the head, the work was beautiful when it came back. I also had them put in a set of their dual valve springs, and they discovered the valve seats were not worked correctly for the 1mm oversize valves I had in the head already, I had that corrected as well.

Nick sent everything back to me along with a set of L19 headstuds, and I assembled it all with another fresh stock gasket, paying close attention to do exactly as recommended.

Finally after 2 years the monkey is off my back! Car is holding 38-40psi and running strong, coolant bottle doesn't even budge. The mustangs don't like it, but I do . It is such a pleasure and a relief to finally have answers to the questions that were bothering me for so long, and to finally be able to get some use out of all the money I've sunk into this thing over the last 5 years!

There is no substitute for experience when it comes to some things, making cars go fast is one of them. I want to thank Buschur Racing for helping me sort out this mess and look forward to maybe getting to make a pass at the shootout this August!
Old Jun 28, 2011, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Awesome man, good to hear!! Still rocking the FP Black or will you be upgrading??
Old Jun 28, 2011, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Black for now with bigger cams, cars paid off in a few months.. I'd really like the HTA86
Old Jun 28, 2011, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

gotta be honest though, brake boosting the black (its a 2.0) in 2nd or 3rd it hits hard! I'll probably go bigger before I'm done though
Old Jun 28, 2011, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats! Being able to enjoy the evo FTW!!!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 03:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nonschlont
Congrats! Being able to enjoy the evo FTW!!!
thanks!!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 03:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
That's great news. The folks at Buschur treated me right in 09 when they re-did my shortblock. Still working flawlessly with no issues after 2 years.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 04:24 AM
CMB
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love BR parts. What does David say to do when you redo a head gasket? Can the head be resurfaced if need be?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 05:02 AM

Seems like you invensted alot into your car, good to hear its finally up and running. Best of luck with it in the future..........
Old Jun 29, 2011, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahh it seems like we were on the same boat! I too built a block myself but had bad luck attack me! Im glad everything worked out for you bud!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CMB
Love BR parts. What does David say to do when you redo a head gasket? Can the head be resurfaced if need be?
if I was doing another one, I'd have them install the cylinder O-rings right when the head is taken off the car, no playing around with wondering how much boost the car will hold. resurfacing if it's not perfectly flat is always part of the deal you'll need to address. Do it once, do it right.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Thank you! Glad to hear you can finally enjoy the car!
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i thought you also bored your block .40 as well
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:14 PM
Former Sponsor

You need a engine management llike I said pal! Glad everything is working now though! As for the question for the head and being resurfaced. It can be done but, will have to come back here so that we can re install the orings properly.

Inside note: I had casa last night and it was great!
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nick@Buschurs

Inside note: I had casa last night and it was great!