Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Customer service review for Buschur Racing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Customer service review for Buschur Racing

I am starting my story from the beginning its a long one so be ready..

I wanted to post this thread, because I really want to vent about this. So basically this is my 3rd built motor to spin a bearing in less than a year. I am pretty mad and frustrated at this point. The 1st built motor was in the car when I bought it. It had around 10k miles on the build right around 380whp(20psi). I drove the car as it was for 3 months no issues. Didn't burn oil etc.
By this time I am ready for more power. So I contacted Tom at tscompusa seeing that I had good results with remote tuning with previous cars. He completley retunes the car and it is a new animal with 492whp. The same night Its starts to miss at wot. Stock ignition couldn't keep up. I get a spoolin cop ordered right away. As I am on my way home I hear a tap. It sounded bad... I soon to find out a I spun a bearing. I thought to myself S*** happens. I know of a local guy/shop that has alot of experience with built motors and dsms. I contact him and decide to let him rebuild the engine. I also send my trans to shep, to get freshend up. I try to do things once and do it right.
Fast forward a month, and I am ready to put car back together I have a fresh exedy twin, trans, spoolin cop, new gaskets, and fresh motor. I am very excited at this point. I check all fluids and watch for leaks etc, everything checks out ok. I put a 100 easy miles on it and keep an eye on everything. I make sure hallman is turned all the way down on wg spring(20psi). I do a few pulls car feels good. I bust out the laptop to watch afr and knock count and start to turn boost up. The Boost gets near 30psi. I let off and tap tap tap tap . Motor has only 114 miles. Once you hear this sound once You can't forget it. I unplug coilpack #4 sound goes away. Looks like I have spun a bearing once again. I am Sick to my stomach.
I call builder, He didn't admit it was his fault. But says he won't charge me labor if I buy the parts. At this point, I am a bit leary of his engine building skills. I decide to give buschur racing a call. I talk to nick@buschur, he says they don't rebuild engines, But only build their own. Sounds good to me, do it once do it right. I decide to go with buschur 2.0 stage 3 shortblock. I told him I didn't want no surprises and he was very helpful. So along with my new short block being built. I order complete oem gasket kit , timing belt kit, front cover, oil pump and oil cooler delete kit. I also get everything hot tanked. I liked buschur racing because they are straight forward with you. Outstanding products with good customer service. I then find out from buschur racing that previous engine builder installed the wrong size bearings! Not cool .
Once I got everything back from buschur and new parts etc, I start to assemble everything. Fast forward a week and I have a built evo 8 ready to hit the streets once again. I proceed to drive the car and I liked the fact, no break in required . I contact tom and we get tune dialed back in. The car rips makes a hair over 500whp. I do notice a bit of oil consumption. No big deal I keep an eye on it and top it off every half tank. So I daily drive the car over winter for next few months. Fast forward to 5 months and 7,800 miles later. I am on my way to work temps got warmer I have my windows down. I hear a faint tap, I thought to myself wtf? It can't be... well it is A SPUN BEARING! Now I am at a crossroads and am losing faith in my evo...I don't know if its worth dumping more money into just to let me down once again!

car was never low on oil not more than a qt..
I always ran brad penn 20w50 and 10w30 in winter..
Why Do I keep losing motors to bearings!?
Is it not realistic to have a 500whp daily driven evo?

I am extremely frustrated and this point and decide to pick up a stock block/turbo and put it back in the car. While I get my motor figured out.. I call nick and set the date to get my evo on the Dyno and also to drop of my Br stage 3 motor to get diagnosed. We get the car loaded on the Dyno and Dave starts working his magic! I am very impressed with his tuning, every time he flashes the car it made significant gains. Around 90 minutes later and a couple of thumbs up from dave. Car makes great power on stock turbo and minimal mods and Crap ebay fmic!It made 335/324 Better than I expected! I am extremley happy at this point and figure they will let me know about my motor in few days.

Dave comes to me and says lets take a look at this motor "we have it apart."So by the time he tuned my car, they already had motor apart. I am very curious at this point. Everything looks mint except cylinder 4 rod bearing. A few minutes after looking everything over David points out the crank. CRANK is CRACKED I am shocked and somewhat relieved at this point. David asks me if I would mind if he sends it out to manley for them to look at it. I reply of course not "not at all."

About two weeks later I recieve a call from david. He says manley has received the crank and are willing to replace my old one for free. Sounds awesome finally some good news!
I want to point out that it wasn't buschurs fault for the crank cracking and He was still willing to rebuild it for free.

Talk about great customer service! These guys will take care of you and are very honest guys to deal with! Special thanks goes out Dave and the bushur crew as well as manley performance for Making these badass internals
Dave is also rebuilding the engine for free. I am more than satisfied with manley and Buschur racing for standing behind their products and making me proud to own an evo and run their parts!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:48 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great review, thought this was gonna be a bad one at first!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Damn that's crazy, glad Buschur sorted you out!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
nice to read that everything seems to be working out. Buschur has a good rep and its for a reason!

good job!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
for the love of god, stop running 10w30! the thinnest oil a built motor should ever see is a 40wt diesel oil.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Dave and his crew really took care of me!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:25 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
I changed your title because it sounded like a negative review and wasn't. Some people don't take the time to read the whole thread, especially with a first post as long as yours. We don't want people getting the wrong impression.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Glad to hear you are being taken care of. This is probably the main reason I am such an advocate of Buschur's stuff, he will stand behind what he builds.

Josh
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nsomniac
I changed your title because it sounded like a negative review and wasn't. Some people don't take the time to read the whole thread, especially with a first post as long as yours. We don't want people getting the wrong impression.
Thanks and no we don't!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jmelocik
Glad to hear you are being taken care of. This is probably the main reason I am such an advocate of Buschur's stuff, he will stand behind what he builds.

Josh
Yes it does. I Also wanted to say even though he did not tune the car. He never blamed the tuner.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Manley for making an awesome crank? Really? It cracked...
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Glad there was a "happy ending". lol. If BR is gonna rebuild the motor at no cost.....no brainer. Give it one more shot.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for the write up. Mods thanks for changing the title from whatever it was, it was a long post and I think I need to clarify some details too.

#1, WE here at BR built ONE engine for this car. The title may imply that we built three engines, that is not the case.

#2, WE did not supply this crank shaft for the car. The old engine was brought to us with this crank, which also needed to be turned 10/10 and we used what was brought to us.

Manley is one of the best companies I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. I sent the crank to them so they could look at it, maybe find something wrong and improve the product. I sure didn't expect a warranty from them. The crank was in multiple engines before we got it, we turned it and balanced it. I told Tripp the story of the customers **** poor luck, how the engine was 100% perfect inside other than the #4 journal and told him I had planned to help him out on rebuilding it because I felt bad he's been through so much crap with the engines in the car. Based on that he said he wanted to help out too and appreciated being able to inspect the crank.........FREE crank is being shipped.

Thanks for the good review. Engine should be together in a week or so after we get the crank back.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
One more thing. I've seen this happen on a few 100mm Mitsubishi cranks too, in the exact same spot on #4 rod journal.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by David Buschur
One more thing. I've seen this happen on a few 100mm Mitsubishi cranks too, in the exact same spot on #4 rod journal.
It is nice that you and Tripp helped the customer out. Good customer service is hard to come by today.

Would you happen to have a pic on the crank that you could post or send me please? I personally have not seen this in the Manley 100s. Thanks Dave.

OP hope you enjoy the new motor and make sure you thank everyone involved in helping you out sir I would call Manley and say thank you too. Goes a long ways.

Mikey

Quick Reply: Customer service review for Buschur Racing