Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

AEM Wideband failsafe!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM Wideband failsafe!

Hey guys,

I recently got to test out the new AEM wideband failsafe guage and would like to post up my personal experience using this product.

Installation is pretty straight forward, with the supplied instructions it was installed in about an hours time. The gauge is very compact and does not require an external control unit of any kind.

Once the gauge was installed i proceeded to set up the software, which was surprisingly very user friendly. After a quick drive i got a good amount of data recorded which allowed the "auto set limits" button do it's thing. This provided a nice baseline curve which perfectly suited the afr's i was shooting for. This screen shot is what the software looked like after a nice drive.

With all the parameters in place i proceeded to test out the failsafe output. I did this by having the output trigger a relay that would bypass my 3 port solenoid and lower boost to wastegate pressure. After intentionally causing a lean condition during a 3rd gear pull the AEM gauge quickly cut the boost, this test was repeated several times until i was happy with the results.

I really liked being able to use this failsafe because it made my methanol setup much easier to figure out without the need for external pressure switches. This same output can be used to switch maps, or lower timing, or whatever else your engine management is capable of doing with this signal.

One added bonus that i got was the new bright center LCD display. It is larger and brighter than the previous UEGO dispaly, and very easy to check with just a quick glance.

The software also allows you to choose what is displayed in the center display and the outer LED ring separately. I choose to have AFR displayed in the center and Boost with the outer LED's. With this new setup it reduced my gauges from 3 back to 2, which is great in keeping a stealthy looking cockpit.

But by far my favorite feature is the on board data logging. With this logging i don't have to lug around my laptop to log the car, i am able to download the saved log onto my laptop when i get home and analyze the boost, afr, and RPM values that the car experienced.

Overall i have to say I'm very impressed with this product, it's not only two gauges in one but it also works extremely well as a failsafe device to save my motor in the event of a methanol injection malfunction.

I will be uploading some more pictures and a quick video to show some more of these great features.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:39 AM

Logging

Dear Sir,

i have bought the same AEM failsafe gauge you are talking about , 30-4900.

i wanted to ask you if you were capable of logging with the Cobb ATR, and how did you connect the ground wire to have the failsafe lower boost.

thank you in advance,

Roland
roland.anader@gmail.com

Originally Posted by clockworktoy
Hey guys,

I recently got to test out the new AEM wideband failsafe guage and would like to post up my personal experience using this product.

Installation is pretty straight forward, with the supplied instructions it was installed in about an hours time. The gauge is very compact and does not require an external control unit of any kind.

Once the gauge was installed i proceeded to set up the software, which was surprisingly very user friendly. After a quick drive i got a good amount of data recorded which allowed the "auto set limits" button do it's thing. This provided a nice baseline curve which perfectly suited the afr's i was shooting for. This screen shot is what the software looked like after a nice drive.

With all the parameters in place i proceeded to test out the failsafe output. I did this by having the output trigger a relay that would bypass my 3 port solenoid and lower boost to wastegate pressure. After intentionally causing a lean condition during a 3rd gear pull the AEM gauge quickly cut the boost, this test was repeated several times until i was happy with the results.

I really liked being able to use this failsafe because it made my methanol setup much easier to figure out without the need for external pressure switches. This same output can be used to switch maps, or lower timing, or whatever else your engine management is capable of doing with this signal.

One added bonus that i got was the new bright center LCD display. It is larger and brighter than the previous UEGO dispaly, and very easy to check with just a quick glance.

The software also allows you to choose what is displayed in the center display and the outer LED ring separately. I choose to have AFR displayed in the center and Boost with the outer LED's. With this new setup it reduced my gauges from 3 back to 2, which is great in keeping a stealthy looking cockpit.

But by far my favorite feature is the on board data logging. With this logging i don't have to lug around my laptop to log the car, i am able to download the saved log onto my laptop when i get home and analyze the boost, afr, and RPM values that the car experienced.

Overall i have to say I'm very impressed with this product, it's not only two gauges in one but it also works extremely well as a failsafe device to save my motor in the event of a methanol injection malfunction.

I will be uploading some more pictures and a quick video to show some more of these great features.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

doesn't the stock ECU do this as well? Just a question.