Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Rick Chong’s Upgraded Lancer / EVO X Armrest is in! (Installed & Reviewed)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rick Chong’s Upgraded Lancer / EVO X Armrest is in! (Installed & Reviewed)

Rick Chong / Scorpion sent over the armrest pretty quick. Shipping was pretty quick via EMS (5 days from Singapore). Rick said he send over the step by step instructions for installing this wonderful mod. But because I felt like a kid on Xmas day I couldn’t wait and took matters into my hands. Now keep in mind this install is the shortcut method and isnt recommended. Rick will soon post official proper instructions in a week or so.

So this is what I started with. A cluttered center console area and an oem armrest that wasn’t really good for anything. To small to use as an arm rest and too limited in storage use.

Last weekend I took the time to install my armrest. I looked for easy access points to remove the old one and here is what i found.

First i looked at the construction / integration of the armrest hinge and decided to attack this from the back.

I then used a flat screw driver to access the hinge of the armest from the back side. As you can see from the picture above the back of my center console already looks like crap. So further scratching was the last thing on my mind. But with extra care you can access open the rear section pretty easy. There are 3 large bump clips along the top and about 4 on each side of this panel.

After popping the clips you will notice that the panel doesnt fully disconnect. Near the bottom there are two screws that keep that panel captive.

I decided to break one of the clips held by the screw seen in the picture above. The logic was that those screws were not needed to hold the back panel in place. There were a dozen clips on all 3 sides.

After exposing the work area. A philips screw driver will be your next best friend. There are 5 screws that hold down your armrest hinge.

Start with the pair smaller screws first and work your way to the group of 3 larger screws.

Once you got the hinge off the arm rest comes right out.

Right away you can see the size difference of the armrest. Oem on the right and the newer deeper + longer armrest on the left.

Once you fit the new armest on, reverse the steps with the screws and push the backplate back in to place.

The only mistake I made at the end was using the screw driver to ease the plate back. Dont. Just use a fist and punch it into place. And presto. You are done!

The two major benefits once again.

1) * Utility storage space is priceless for storing valuables or your wallet, especially if you cup holders are already full.

2) * armrest extension reach is perfect. And wide enough for your passenger to utilize without making elbow contact. Unless you have monster arms. Either way it will make your lancer or Evo more comfortable to drive.

As a review here is how i score this type of mod.

UTILITY VALUE: 7/10
The utility value factor of this mod is high. It adds needed storage space to the lancer/evo. The factor space is decent but you tend to fill it with cellphones, keys, or other crap we drop in our cars. Where there is room for improvement is expanded the utility compartment to fit large smart phone like the samsung note.

I have a Sony Xperia S and my phone fits perfectly. It is of good average smart phone size.

COMFORT: 8/10
This armest is an upgrade over the oem style armrest. It is made of a leatherette with stitching and has a decent feel to it. It is padded well but could use more to make it perfect. It is still comfortable enough to not bruise yoir elbow with extended use. The reason why this gets an 8 of 10 is because the armrest extends out to better support your arm.

PRICE Vs. VALUE: 7/10
The price point is attractive at 250 shipped ($200 + $50 dollars shipping from Singapore). Here is my simple logic. My Lancer and EvoX project cars are 4 years old and I do a hell of a lot of driving. And anything that makes ot easier and more comfortable is very important to me. It’s not for everyone. Some wont care about comfort or storage but i know for a fact driving with this mod is addictive and I notice it not there when i switch vehicles.

If you have any questions about the arm rest I will do my best to answer but if its something complicated I recommend emailing Rick directly at RickChongUSA@gmail.com

Or visit his ebay store www.Rickchong.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Evosoul
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did Rick ever get the actual instructions to properly install this unit out?? If so can someone point me to the right place??

Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by llno24
Did Rick ever get the actual instructions to properly install this unit out?? If so can someone point me to the right place??

Thanks!
What my Lancer Getto way wasn't good enough lol joking... I would email Rick directly, he has a PDF document I think for that install. RickChongUSA@gmail.com

It is quite process. You basically have to remove the entire center console to do it "properly"
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by evo_soul
What my Lancer Getto way wasn't good enough lol joking... I would email Rick directly, he has a PDF document I think for that install. RickChongUSA@gmail.com

It is quite process. You basically have to remove the entire center console to do it "properly"
Lol my Evo is only 4 months old!!

Yea I thought that it would involve takin the whole center console out... Ah well... I'll most likely paint the chrome bits while I'm at it.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 04:29 PM

This look amazing. Any thoughts on if this could be done on an Evo 8/9 as well?