Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

PasswordJDM Carbon Fiber Center Console - CRACKED DURING INSTALL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PasswordJDM Carbon Fiber Center Console - CRACKED DURING INSTALL

REVIEW: Password JDM Center Console

Last Friday I went and picked up the oh so beautiful Carbon Fiber Center Console made by PasswordJDM for my S2000 over from GoTuning. This is my first purchase of a PasswordJDM product, but from what I have seen and what they state on their site and videos I was pretty confident in the purchase. They use a dry carbon process thats so supposed to be so strong and durable. They claim that their product will not fade or crack during its lifetime or during the installation. That plus the clean design sold me.

My plan was to install it on Sunday, wanted to allocate a good amount of time as their instructions are pretty labor intensive.

So Sunday comes and Im ready, I read and re-read the instructions. The job requires a lot of panels to be removed, lucky for me most of my interior has already been removed (soft top, glove box) so all I had to do was remove the radio door, the center console, and the leather underneath which basically becomes trash because you have to rip it off at the 2 points that mount behind the dash (mentioned in the instructions). To help make things easier I removed both seats, as their instructions mention the seats can get in the way (no problem its only 4 bolts per seat). I find that their are few wires that attached to the car that you will also need detach from the car, these are near the armrest.

With the seats, radio door, center console, plugs and leather out, its time to install the PasswordJDM Carbon Fiber center console. Instructions say start with the front. I position the piece and begin to slide the front portion over the shift knob and ebrake. You have to slightly bend the console to wrap around the sides as I am doing this Im thinking its a very very tight fit. As I am doing this I hear the piece cracking. I stop and examine from the top, didn't want to remove it at this point and could not see any visible damage. I re-read the instructions and see I am doing everything right. As I continue to fit it over and slide it under the radio thats where it splits at the drivers side corner of the console. The split is significant and lifted. The crack/split is about 4 inches in length. With the piece in I look and notice that even when it is slid as far forward as possible the piece is hitting a metal bracket thats welded into the car. This prevent to parts that wrap around the seats from mounting properly using the factory push pins behind the seats and causes stress.

Heres a photo of the PasswordJDM center console with the crack

I remove the piece and I figure I'll call PasswordJDM on Monday and hope this is a bad batch and they stand by their product.

Since this not yet resolved, I will share my expierence in this log below: (I will keep it updated)

Monday 3/25/13:
I call PasswordJDM and speak with Brad. Brad mentions that since this was purchase through GoTuning that I would have to go through them. Basically call them and have them call PasswordJDM to verify that product was purchased. Once that was confirmed they would greenlight a swap.

I call Gotunning, speak with Tommy. He calls Brad at PasswordJDM and they request that I send photos to Brad. I send the photos.

Tuesday 3/26/13:
No response from PasswordJDM.

Wednesday 3/27/13:
I call and speak with Brad. He acknowledges the photo and states that they don't know how that happened and can not prove that it occurred during the installation. I explained (what I wrote above) and even restate their claim of that it will not break during installation...

take from their website...

100% MADE IN THE USA in house by PASSWORDCOMPOSITES
100% Dry carbon vacuum formed using Aerospace grade Carbon material and Epoxy Resins
UV resistant, Will not fade or crack during its lifetime or during installation unlike wet carbon pieces
NO Hardware required, ultra light weight, perfect fit and finish
Installs in 2 hours or less depending on skill level
Wraps around behind the seats
LINK
I included a screencap for those interested in this product, at the bottom of this post for reference
After a few minutes of him saying they can not do anything, I offer to bring the car and the piece down to show the fitment issue and the crack. Brad says they might be able to repair it. From there Brad says he will talk to the owner and see how they will handle the situation.

Wednesday 3/27/13 @2pm:
Just noticed that the PWJDM is vendor on the site (Steve@PWJDM I believe Steve is the owner). I sent them a PM explaining.
**turns out they are no longer active on the board***

Thursday 3/28/13
Spoke to Brad, he had not spoke to the owner (he had not come in). Said to call back tomorrow and talk to John who handles customer service issues.

Thursday 3/28/13 @ 1pm
Emailed the Owner Steve Naing

Friday 3/29/13 @ 10:30am
Left a message for John and Steve with Brian.

Monday 4/1/13 @ 10:30am
Connected with John he requested that I send photos. Photos sent.

To be continued....

Helpful links and photos for potential buyers:
PasswordJDM Center Console Installation Instructions
[attachment=36311:S2000_Dry_Carbon_Center_Console.p df]
Website screencap of the PasswordJDM Carbon Fiber Center Console for the S2000 (taken 3/27/13)
[attachment=36310:Password:JDM Dry Carbon Fiber Center Console (AP 05-08 S2000) | Password JDM.png]

Last edited by vroooom247; Apr 1, 2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 05:23 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I've fixed a lot of cracked Password JDM carbon fiber. It's not the vendor or the company, it's whoever is making it for them...I love my PWJDM bolts tho!

Last edited by ikt; Apr 1, 2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn, I was gonna buy the PWJDM CF cooling plate, looks like there are some quality issues.

One would expect it to be great for that kind of pricing.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 09:37 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
yeah you can see how the weave on the top there by your finger looks rounder? Thats cuz the resin is so thin that when it was pressed in the weave itself flattened out.

Really tho, give them a few days to figure out what happened at their supplier

Last edited by ikt; Apr 2, 2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by willyan1989
Damn, I was gonna buy the PWJDM CF cooling plate, looks like there are some quality issues.

One would expect it to be great for that kind of pricing.
Unless you can go there and pick out the pieces yourself...I would save yourself the trouble and disappointment by not getting them. I have their CF cooling plate and intake (only cuz I got them for an awesome deal). Story goes...buddy of mine orders cooling plate and intake. Cooling plate comes ALREADY cracked. Calls up vendor and they ship him out another one. Second one received is not cracked, but is in worst condition (finish wise) than the first. If you hold the cooling plate up to a light source (and most likely the center console also), you will see light shining through all over the place. That's how thin their stuff is. I sent both the cooling panel and the intake to our very own IKT for repair. Came out great. Just haven't had a chance to install yet due to waiting on a few other pieces needed before a tune.