Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

IveyTune

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down IveyTune

Took my MR to Ivey for a tune and was very dissatisfied. He told me that the SST didn't need to be tuned. The car drove and shifted horribly. I was new to the Evo game at the time. I put my trust in him to give my car a proper tune and he just flashed a cobb OTS map and underpowered my car so that nothing blew.

I didn't need to pay $500 +tax for that. I could have bought or borrowed an AP and done it myself. As I learned more about my car, I purchased a Tactrix Cable and got an E-Tune from BakaUnchi. Best thing I ever did. Night and day difference.

Last edited by Masheen; May 7, 2014 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Fixed Font
Old Feb 27, 2014, 03:59 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
you can't borrow an AP
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:36 AM
E1

Wow...I was just getting ready to take my car over to him...all i used to hear was positive things.... Now this...
Old Apr 2, 2014, 09:57 AM

Lol. What happened to the two other posts that were here. Did they get deleted because they were negative reviews about IveyTune? Truth hurts.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have taken my car to Ivey Tune twice. Once for a fresh tune and again for a retune after I installed more parts. I have had nothing but positive experiences from Sean and his entire staff. They always answered all of my questions and explained everything to me. I will be going back to Ivey for another retune after my cam install
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yay for willing to learn the ECUflash. Piggyback is so last decade!
BTW, This is the first time I heard bad things about IveyTune. Anyone else?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Ivey is a great guy this is the first I hear, he tuned my evo's never had a issue.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 01:22 PM

I think the issue I had was that I own an MR. I was recommended to go to Ivey by a number of people, but then I realized that they all had GSR's. The MR requires a more intuitive tuning process in which the SST tables are modified to better handle the increase in power. I assume most of you guys that have been to Ivey have GSR's. At Ivey, I made 291whp/wtq with full bolt ons + Id1000cc and a DW65c. My recent tune by Baka, which included an SST tune, put me at 370whp/wtq.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've read several negatives about Ivey. All in this section...
Old Apr 25, 2014, 02:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im not sure how I feel about the Mitsubishi SST. Its nothing like the GTR or the VW DSG transmissions. I have a friend with a Ralliart with the SST and man is that thing unresponsive when you want to shift it manually. I can assume that Ivey's dyno is a Mustang dyno? someone correct me.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 04:00 AM

No he has a dynojet. I was on it. And Sean has gone out of his way to help me. He is a straight up guy.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had a MAJOR problem with ivey.....fp red,built engine everything......i was getting beat by my friends stock turbo.

went to another place.....dynoed 298whp LOLLLL.....i did my tune and finished at 428whp.

called them....emailed them...never answered back!! so me and 5 friends are going somewhere else now
Old May 7, 2014, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Not4Sale
Im not sure how I feel about the Mitsubishi SST. Its nothing like the GTR or the VW DSG transmissions. I have a friend with a Ralliart with the SST and man is that thing unresponsive when you want to shift it manually. I can assume that Ivey's dyno is a Mustang dyno? someone correct me.
The TC-SST is made by Getrag, a German company that makes transmissions on some Ferrari's, Porsche's, Volkswagen Companies (Audi, SEAT, ŠKODA, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Ducati, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, Scania).

It is very rare to see one of these transmissions in a Mitsubishi,leaving many enthusiasts amazed at its performance and inexpensive price.

The TC-SST in the MR has 3 modes, 2 of which are conspicuous, and the other is hidden. Normal, Sport, and unlock-able S-Sport (Super Sport). When in Normal Manual mode, this car can be confused for an automatic with a torque converter. Sport Manual it starts to come alive with increased clutch clamping force and speed, but in S-Sport, you feel like your driving a supercar.

Now when the SST is tuned by a tuner who knows how to properly tinker with it (And very few do) the difference is enormous. A properly tuned TC-SST in S-Sport Manual feels almost identical to a 458 Italia DCT, which I have driven in Nevada through canyons and and opened up on a straight.

A lot of MR owners don't take advantage of S-Sport mode, which is actually better for your transmission due to it locking into gear faster and harder, while the other modes have a degree of slip when changing gears. Also, a lot of MR owners do not get both, the engine AND SST tuned to complete the experience.

It is common knowledge in the tuner community that a GT-R is much easier to tune than the TC-SST.

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GetragVolkswagen's Companies
EvoX MR Sports A Getrag Transmission!

Last edited by Masheen; May 8, 2014 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old May 7, 2014, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

I emailed them once about getting a tune. Never got a response
Old May 11, 2014, 05:45 PM

Been there twice. Both crappy experiences on seans part. Will never spend money there again.

Quick Reply: IveyTune