Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Xede intermitently not working/1+ low performance

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2004, 05:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xede intermitently not working/1+ low performance

I believe there was a thread a while back about the Xede not working from time to time. I have been looking for a problem with my car for 3 months and found it the other day. 3 or 4 times in the past few months, I started the car and it seemed to make low boost and have no power (kind of like stock or worst). The last time, for some reason, I looked in my glove box and found the light to be orange and flashing. I parked, stopped the car and started it again. Problem gone. I don't think this is normal and would like to see if it is common. Help. I have spent over $500 in specialty shops checking my car for issues based on "advise". I was also reading about threads that suggest the 1+ is getting spanked by other simpler products out there. My 1+ made 283 AWHP on a dynojet and I was told something is wrong with my car but I test drove another stage 1+ in houston and found no performance difference of any kind (butt dyno). I think this is pretty pittyfull for the amount of money it costs. 60 HP for $ 3,000.00 (not counting labor and tuning)

Sigfrid
1+/not working well/not very satisfied
Old Dec 8, 2004, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Siggy,
You are way off. First, the Xede problem you are having is a well known issue that takes the boys at the shop approximately 5 minutes to fix. Send your Xede to them, it will come back fine.

As far as power goes, many of us amateur straight 1+ drivers: me, IE, Evotomig, EZ76's car, have run 12.1 to 12.2 at 113 to 114 mph. With the addition of an intercooler and the 10.5, I ran 11.9 at 115. We have drag raced up and down California. Noone on the West Coast with similar mods is faster. Three comparable cars that are very close in times that I know of are Robi, Statix, and STITHIS, all of whom have the full Bushcur Stage 4. Statix and Robi have since upgraded turbos. (and to be fair, Robi's low 12s were done at LACR which is slow due to elevation). On the east coast, there are a few who have gone faster WITH COMPARABLE MODS, but find anyone west of the Mississippi River who is faster with the same mods and I'll be happy to congratulate them.

Finally, the Vishnu 1+ and the 1++ are both reliable enough to road race without blowing up the motor. Paul Gerrard (Vishnu driver) drove the crap out of my car on three short but highly intense sessions on my race map with no problems.

Good luck and be patient.

Last edited by Smogrunner; Dec 8, 2004 at 07:36 AM.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Sigfrid, there's a guy in houston that has a 1+ setup that claimed to make 352whp on a dynojet with pump gas. He goes by the username sanantone on evom. You might want to take a ride in his car to see how it feels. I'll call him up if you want to meet up.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Im making 291whp on pumpgas on a DynoDynamics on a 1+ Setup with no aftermarket IC or 10.5 hotside, but using a mix of parts (not straight Vishnu stage),but I decided on using the XEDE for my managment. I love my XEDE.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

My stage 1+ makes ~285awhp on a dynojet (93 Octane, hi-flow cat, uncorrected numbers), so your numbers seem to be fine. Send in your XEDE to have the power-up problem fixed, it's a known issue, easily rectified.

l8r)
Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

285 with a 1+ on a dynojet????? thats pretty low i thought

i thought ~330 or so was to be expected with a 1+
Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Xede/Power of 1+

Thanks all for the Xede fix solution. I guess I need to send it in to get that resolved. I know my car is running close to what it should be. Very nice off the line and around town. I just don't like that it is so flat after 6500 rpm.
My boost spikes to 1.58 bar, settles around 1.45, holds 1.31 bar to 6500 and suddenly falls to 1.1 until 7500. It seems to just run out of breath and I cant figure out why. Vishnu said that they ran over 10 car on the same dyno I ran and the lowest one made 310. That's why I have been looking for the difference in HP for 3 months (and a lot of money) and no luck. I guess my expectations might be to blame. I was not satisfied with my 3rd gen RX7 that put down 346 RWHP (2750lb car). I know the launch is nicer with the EVO but the top end is miserable (my causin's stage 1 SRT4 keeps making power all the way to red line and feels way more impressive). Anyway, I'll get the Xede fixed and save up for a real turbo/power solution that will get me mid 11's on PUMP gas and with a CAT. (David, I'm STILL waiting for the bleed valve)

Sigfrid
K&N filter in stock box
Vishnu Std. turbo back exhaust
HKS 264/272
Vishnu Cam gears (-2,-1.5)
Xede/custom map 93+
Walbro fuel pump
283 AWHP & 266 ft/lb
Old Dec 8, 2004, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Sure Sigfried lemme send you out that pill despite running 23 PSI
Old Dec 8, 2004, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

if my numbers are that low at stagge 1+, im gonna be all kinds of pissed off.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ruzs
Anyway, I'll get the Xede fixed and save up for a real turbo/power solution that will get me mid 11's on PUMP gas and with a CAT
I eagerly await the details of that setup.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Lightbulb Try This

Siggie,
I had the same problem. The issue has to do with current draw when the ignition is "on" slowing down the rate of loading the map. I noticed it this summer when the engine had been run. I figured it was the additional current load of a hot start. The Vishnu guys tracked it down and can change a resistor on the XEDE box for you. I decided not to fool with a good thing. Holding the ignition to "on" for two seconds before you go to "start" will give the map time to load. I usually turn off all the lights/fan/radio, etc. when I park. On starting I hold it at "on" for two seconds and then start. I haven't had the map fail to load with this procedure and now it's second nature.
Doug in Cincinnati
Stage 1
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsujeff55
285 with a 1+ on a dynojet????? thats pretty low i thought
i thought ~330 or so was to be expected with a 1+
It's just a number ... if I really wanted impressive numbers I'd go to Pruven or back to Mac Autosport (they had me dyno at 314 on my stage 1) so that I can brag. IIRC I was right along the same power range as all of the other stage 1+ cars with cat at my local dyno...

FWIW, the car is waay faster than it was stock and even when compared to my initial stage 1 setup. These days I can easily chirp my winter tires in 2nd gear and for now that's good enough for me

l8r)
Old Dec 8, 2004, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Let's not ignore the facts here. EVO's with the SAME mods using the SAME dyno as Sigfrid put down at least 310whp. He's only getting 283. It's not an expecation thing, somewhere along the line he's missing ~30whp. Hopefully the XEDE will be found at fault and fixed.

Sam
Old Dec 8, 2004, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

1+ performance

Not to mention the Vishnu site claims 300 dynojet AWHP on a stage 1. If I get 283 on the same dyno with a 1+, how can I be happy. On the other side of what Sam said, I did drive a 1+ (minus high flow cat) and it felt Dead on with my car. What do you make of that???? I would love to hook up with the guy in Houston that put down 352 to see how his car feels compared to mine.....
Thanks all
Old Dec 8, 2004, 01:56 PM

I put down 272awhp on Vishnu's in-house dyno, so I doubt it's something wrong with the product. Maybe there's a leak somewhere on your car? You sure it was installed properly with the right map loaded?