Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

stage 1 evo VS Lotus Esprit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2005, 08:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
I do have my facts straight. FWIW, my EVO is at the very power level you specified, not my friend's, or my uncle's brother, etc., et al, and I've had ample time to play with it and learn its strengths...and weaknesses.

The difference between an EVO and Lotus at speed (no, not from a stop) is something called coefficient of drag (Cd). You may have heard of it. What it means is that the Lotus requires less power to achieve the same acceleration at speed than the EVO. You can figure out what happens from there.

And again, an EVO is and will always be a Mistubishi sedan. If your friend's EVO 'wasted' a 360 Modena or whatever, big deal. Ask me (or anyone) which car I or they would rather have. In other words, your EVO will never grow up to be a Ferrari, or Lotus for that matter. It's a nice thought though.

And yes again, many EVO owners do tend to talk a lot of crap...and that's too bad for the rest of us.

Last edited by Ted B; Jan 4, 2005 at 08:27 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
I do have my facts straight. FWIW, my EVO is at the very power level you specified, not my friend's, or my uncle's brother, etc., et al, and I've had ample time to play with it and learn its strengths...and weaknesses.

The difference between an EVO and Lotus at speed (no, not from a stop) is something called coefficient of drag (Cd). You may have heard of it. What it means is that the Lotus requires less power to achieve the same acceleration at speed than the EVO. You can figure out what happens from there.

And again, an EVO is and will always be a Mistubishi sedan. If your friend's EVO 'wasted' a 360 Modena or whatever, big deal. Ask me (or anyone) which car I or they would rather have. In other words, your EVO will never grow up to be a Ferrari, or Lotus for that matter. It's a nice thought though.

And yes again, many EVO owners do tend to talk a lot of crap...and that's too bad for the rest of us.

Well said. Thank you. Some people just don't get it. You didn't buy a 100K Super Car. You bought a 30K super car and props to us all for getting the chance to have fun and play with this car which is the reason we're all here. I never bought my car to pretend its a Ferrari or Lotus, and no matter what you do to it it'll never be an exotic car. What you do have is the best bang for the buck in a 30K car with unlimited potential. For me its a a toy. With that said, its goes back to the apples and oranges. I saw two old men running 90K Mercedes E55 AMG's smoke everything at the track last year including a couple Evo's and its a sedan. It was hilarious.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Newbie woz owned
Attached Thumbnails stage 1 evo VS Lotus Esprit-owned.jpg  
Old Jan 5, 2005, 02:47 AM
Evolving Member

Hey guys,

I have been inside of Sobemike's Lotus and let me tell you his car is very fast, my evo 8 with turboback, mbc, dynoflash intercooler pipes, had no chance at all against him after 30mph and nor does a 360 modena. I loved my evo for its handdling and brakes and trust me if I went to a canyon or a racetrack I would choose the evo over anyother car but from a roll I have to say it was the week point of my evo, my evo is sold and now I think I have the weapon to beat sobemike's beast
Old Jan 5, 2005, 04:55 AM

The new lotus?

I ran into one at a track day at Road Atlanta. They do run the toyota motor (4 cyl.) and have about 190hp, I believe. Anyway, I checked there stock 0-60 and 1/4, the 0-60 is no big deal, but the 1/4 is about 12.7. Anyway, I was behind another car and he pulled out on me and pulled away like you would'nt believe. It was modded though and very loud (had an after market co. sticker on the wind shield). I believe it is the weight that gives them the edge, they only weigh about 1900lbs. and are very small inside (no room). It was impressive to see though.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mistasparkle
I was on a closed course with 3 guys in my car, all witnesses to what happened.

From a 100mph roll, the esprit literally pulled 2 BUSlengths on me in about 4 seconds, and kept pulling like nobody's business. I looked at my gearbox to make sure I wasn't in reverse. This guy seriously ripped me apart.

Afterwards my pants were ripped by the boner that lotus gave me, he seriously made me look like I was parked.

ouch

It was most likely highly modded. I have owned both Esprits. A 93 se that had the turbo 4 bannger and a 98 v8 twin turbo. The v8 is slightly faster than the 4 cyl version but they still are not as fast as you would think. They do tend to make their power at faster speeds when you can keep the boost up. The only problem with them is that they come from the factory with single traction diff. You have to get the optional poss diff. just my 2 c worth
Old Sep 11, 2005, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

The Esprit Twin Turbo V8 was tested by C&D when it came out and it ran 0-60 in like 4.4 sec. and did mid 12's in the quarter once they figured how to launch it. The car needs not much more to take care of it than our high maintenance Evo's. The car is underated and very light for what it is. I was going to buy one and decided I didn't want to pay the outrageous insurances rates for a car I would drive maybe a couple of times a month. I still want one and have seen very low mile ones for about $48,000-$70,000 in the DuPont registry. Sweet car though. I still love my Evo and there is no denying bang for buck but given the chance again I think I will buy one.