Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Passive Boost Solenoid Emulator

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so say I install the emulator because my boost is down due the the wonderful weather we've been having here recently and it brings me back up to 22 psi. What happens when the weather cools off again. Do I need to worry about overboost then?
Old Jul 27, 2005, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pter_drgn
Ok, so say I install the emulator because my boost is down due the the wonderful weather we've been having here recently and it brings me back up to 22 psi. What happens when the weather cools off again. Do I need to worry about overboost then?
Just think about what you're asking, and you should be able to answer your own question. Not trying to be a dick, just trying to spark independant thought.

- Steve
Old Jul 27, 2005, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SuperHatch
Basically if you use the Buschur pipe and don't find a way to recirculate that air you will have a slight rich condition. I think Buschur doesn't provide the nipple because he assumes most of his customers use MBC's or EBC's where that feature is no longer needed.
A boost controller bleeds such a small amount of air that it shouldn't really matter.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ShapeGSX
A boost controller bleeds such a small amount of air that it shouldn't really matter.
If you add up enough small amounts of air, it'll become one big amount of air.

I was explaining why it's done, not trying to say it's the end of the world.

- Steve
Old Jul 27, 2005, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

And I was just clarifying that it wasn't the end of the world. It should also only bleed away boost when the wastegate is opening. Although, if air is bled away at all times, even idle, it could have an impact.

I seem to remember that my Eclipse's stock boost solenoid was in a pretty horrible configuration that could lead to leakage at idle if that bleed line wasn't hooked up.

So forget what I said until I see a boost line schematic for an Evo. It could have an affect. At WOT, the percentage of the air that is lost is miniscule. But at idle, it is a much larger percentage, and it could have an affect.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

The BCS is normally open, venting air, so at idle it's a leak. As the engine management asks for less boost (taper at high RMS) the BCS closes, forcing the pressurzed air into the WG. So it's a significant leak at idle, and less of a problem at higher RPMs.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

I currently have a 1.3 bar spring in my Tial wastegate. I was planning to reinstall the factory boost pill so I can return to Xede boost control. I'm currently using a Hallman mbc. Is the emulator a better option than the factory pill?
Old Jul 27, 2005, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

No, i had the emulator on my car with the stock pill(the one near the compressor, not the BS). It still wouldn't let me run the boost i wanted on race gas, so i just put another pill in the wastegate line in between the wastegate and the T.

This allowed me to run much more boost, therefore, the numbers in the xede boost table had to be dropped to achieve pump gas boost.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DEL TURBO
I currently have a 1.3 bar spring in my Tial wastegate. I was planning to reinstall the factory boost pill so I can return to Xede boost control. I'm currently using a Hallman mbc. Is the emulator a better option than the factory pill?
The emulator does the exact opposite of the factory pill. The factory pill goes inside the line between the boost source/WG lin "T" fitting and the BCS. This pill acts like a flow limiter, forcing more of the boost source air to travel to the wastegate than to the BCS, this in turn lowers the maximum boost level. By removing this pill more air can flow out of the BCS and less goes to the WG diaphram. This effectively raises the maximum boost. What the emulator does is goes in the same spot as the boost pill, but you have to cut the line and put it in, and by doing this, it bleeds even more air to the atmosphere raising the boost even more. The emulator is used on Xede equipped cars that are still stubborn with the factory pill removed and won't hit the desired boost level. It effectively raises the enitre boost curve by ~2psi (IIRC Shiv can confirm).

- Steve