Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Hot/Cold weather power changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2005, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hot/Cold weather power changes

Hey all,

I am not new to turbo cars and know that hot weather will change power levels, but my car seems to exhibit drastic changes. Any temperature below the 60's will make it work extremely well. It stays strong and consistent to red line. When the temperatures reach the 80's (and humid in Houston), I feel like the car is way slower. On the freeway in fifth gear (medium load), it does not want to pull and it takes a lot longer for it to spool. It is overall much slower. Now when you add the A/C on top of that, it is depressing (the difference is depressing, not the overall performance)..... Any opinions on this? Car is a 1++, 93 octane with slightly tuned 1+ map.(I wish someone would share their 93 1++ maps). Thanks for the information,

Sigfrid
sigfrid.ruz@plastomertech.com
Old Feb 17, 2005, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ruzs
Hey all,

I am not new to turbo cars and know that hot weather will change power levels, but my car seems to exhibit drastic changes. Any temperature below the 60's will make it work extremely well. It stays strong and consistent to red line. When the temperatures reach the 80's (and humid in Houston), I feel like the car is way slower. On the freeway in fifth gear (medium load), it does not want to pull and it takes a lot longer for it to spool. It is overall much slower. Now when you add the A/C on top of that, it is depressing (the difference is depressing, not the overall performance)..... Any opinions on this? Car is a 1++, 93 octane with slightly tuned 1+ map.(I wish someone would share their 93 1++ maps). Thanks for the information,

Sigfrid

Remove your AC like I did
Old Feb 17, 2005, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Hey all,

Sigfrid
I will have a 93 stage 1++ Map in early April - I would be more than happy to send it to you. Shiv will also be getting a lot of 93 data this spring
Old Feb 17, 2005, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Az3ar
Ha! No can do in H-town. I just spritz my IC as often as I can.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Az3ar
lol are u nuts? he is in houston, i bet it gets as hot as florida over there, no way u can live without AC in those regions lol
Old Feb 17, 2005, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
why remove the ac when there is an on/off button?
Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Hot/cold

Okay, what I think is weird is how much power I loose when it is hot. I am looking for suggestions as to Xede functions for temperature changes and maybe if I should remove timing or add timing? Is it because my maps are so rich that with the cold I get better values? Thanks,

oh and thanks for wanting to share your soon to come maps

Sigfrid.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

keep your eyes on the dynodays coming up in Georgia & New Jersey - bound to have good maps come out of those!!!
Old Feb 17, 2005, 12:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Okay, what I think is weird is how much power I loose when it is hot.

Sigfrid.
Can you verify what your water temp signal is to the ecu?

I have read that there is a water temp / ig map correction applied (I dont know for certain) when the water temp is high, ig timing is pulled.

Maybe this has something to do with what your experiencing?
Old Feb 17, 2005, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

That, or the map is just too aggressive (I doubt it with the safety net Shiv tunes in) for those temps and the car pulls timing... a logger of some sort would help determine this greatly. Do a log of timing at night when it's cool and another during the day when it's hot.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

well, that and its probably in your head a tad. turbo cars just lay down in the heat compared to the 40 degree crisp winter nights.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Sigfrid-- And what does "slightly" tuned mean? Doesn't take much of a change in the wrong direction to hurt performance, consistency or safety margin.

To rule out the possibility of a too-aggressive map, dump in some 100oct race gas and in hot conditions. If power picks up DRAMATICALLY, then the map is too aggressive. It it doesn't, then the power swings are in line with what would expect given the variance in ambient temps.

shiv
Old Feb 18, 2005, 05:43 AM
Evolving Member

Aggressive tuning

Thanks Shiv, I'll try the 100 Octane to see if there is a change. After all, you did tell me to try this 3 or 4 months ago. I keep comparing my timing maps to the maps you post and the last one you sent for the MR is relatively close to what mine is. At lower loads, mine pulls more timing and on the top it's pulling 4.1. I think this looks relatively safe as I have 93 and these maps were 91. I wish I could go to Dallas. Damn vacations..... Thanks. Can you do a 50% off sale on your new turbo kit? I think that would solve my problem

Sigfrid