Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Porsche 996tt or MR?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2005, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche 996tt or MR?

I know this sounds crazy but I’m in a position where I really want a Porsche 996tt but with a new house in the works for the spring cash is going to be tight.
I have always loved the EVO and what can be done for a very reasonable amount of $.
My only issues is that I have not been able to drive an MR.I have been able to test drive several 996tt, some even by my self but have not been able to drive an MR! I have only tried a couple of places and they give me the same BS-buy then you get to drive!
I’m 36 years old for god’s sake! Give me the keys already!
So my idea is buy an MR do some modest mods i.e. Re-Flash, XEDE, Exhaust and get a fun daily driver with the same or near performance of the 996tt for a fraction of the cost.
Or is this a pipe dream!
Thoughts?
Old Mar 30, 2005, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

You are(In my opinion) too young for a 996tt... Get yourself an MR and mod it (Like you say)

To me: 996=Status symbol...............................MR=Fun Factor
996=Pretty penny/upkeep....................MR=Stealthy,again fun, yet more inexpensive to upkeep/maintenance....

Just my .02 cents

*edit*
I see you already have an STi (Yet another 4D-Rocket) plus a German protoge' (which goes 150 + MPH), Unless one of the cars you already own is going bye-bye, it might be to your best interest to buy the 996TT ..

Last edited by awdjunkies; Mar 30, 2005 at 11:00 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 10:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
You'll have just as much fun (with mods) in the Evo with less worry. You can always get the 911TT. Besides, you should just wait for the new 997 TT. It looks better than the 996 IMHO.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Get the EVO.....but just remember, stock....the EVO will not be anything like a 996tt. But with a couple of grand it will be damn close....so just keep that in mind when test driving...
Old Mar 30, 2005, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm, depends entirely on what you want the car for.

I would drop me evo in a second to drive a 996tt everyday. But, since i don't have the money to do so, i LOVE my evo and wouldn't trade it for much short of a 996tt.

Just buy the MR and wait on your financial situation to be stable then have both!
Old Mar 30, 2005, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

W.H.Y....T.H.E....H.E.L.L....I.S....T.H.I.S....I.N ....T.H.E....V.I.S.H.N.U....S.E.C.T.I.O.N.?.?.?.?. ?.

Shouldn't this be a general question? If you are asking Vishnu what they can build you for the same price as a 996TT you better have some big ones! What you can do to an EVO for that much money would be sick!!! EVO + 10 grand in mod's is kick as$. +30 grand would be a monster.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Drive an MR, see what you think, see how if feels, driving, etc. Then,......look at the price!!
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trans_lux
I know this sounds crazy but I’m in a position where I really want a Porsche 996tt but with a new house in the works for the spring cash is going to be tight.
I have always loved the EVO and what can be done for a very reasonable amount of $.
My only issues is that I have not been able to drive an MR.I have been able to test drive several 996tt, some even by my self but have not been able to drive an MR! I have only tried a couple of places and they give me the same BS-buy then you get to drive!
I’m 36 years old for god’s sake! Give me the keys already!
So my idea is buy an MR do some modest mods i.e. Re-Flash, XEDE, Exhaust and get a fun daily driver with the same or near performance of the 996tt for a fraction of the cost.
Or is this a pipe dream!
Thoughts?
YOu don't need to buy a MR to test drive it. That's absurd! Those dumb *** stealers... The most they can do is: 1) have you at the table after credit check, etc. and 2) make you pay a non-refundable security deposit. If you have a family, get the MR. Hell save some $, get the GSR with leather package...
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:09 AM

ok you're buying a new house and the cost differential between the 996tt and an evo mr is about 100k. instead of having a selection on opposite ends of the price spectrum why dont you get something for about 60-90k. bmw m6, clk 55, m3, c6 z06, 997 carrera, the list goes on....
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

IMO 996tt is something you get if the word "budget" doesn't mean anything. If you are looking for relative value, go with an Evo. You can get a brand new evo dump $10K into it and it will smoke a TT for 1/3 the price. Like majesty said, there is plenty of room between the 30k cars and the 130k.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

what this guy said.

Originally Posted by majesty
ok you're buying a new house and the cost differential between the 996tt and an evo mr is about 100k. instead of having a selection on opposite ends of the price spectrum why dont you get something for about 60-90k. bmw m6, clk 55, m3, c6 z06, 997 carrera, the list goes on....
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cajun Power
W.H.Y....T.H.E....H.E.L.L....I.S....T.H.I.S....I.N ....T.H.E....V.I.S.H.N.U....S.E.C.T.I.O.N.?.?.?.?. ?.
Because if he buys it, he's going to Vishnuize it???
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

He did want modest mods as he stated in post #1
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

996tt and then reflash=BIG HORESPOWER
im only saying this because i would if i had the money, and if your thinking about buying a porche you have some cash
Old Mar 30, 2005, 12:02 PM

Since Vishnu has done some 996TT work I totally understand why this is in this part of the forum.

I went through the same dilemma. Having always coveted the 911-variant turbos the 996TT looked like the opportunity to fulfill a longstanding desire. I also drove and considered the Maserati Cambiocorsa. I am 38 BTW.

In the end, I selected the MR because I am not a big fan of the kind of attention that a 996TT draws or the practicality of what is reasonably a 2 seater. The car makes a statement whether you want to or not and I was not entirely comfortable with it.

I have invested an additional $5K or so in the MR with exhaust, cams, utec, etc. and I can assure you it pulls stronger than the 996TT I drove. At the same time, I can have my 3 kids in the back, my golf clubs and groceries in the trunk and never think twice about the weather. I did swap out the rear wing to a Kaminari CF wing, put a do-luck front lip on and debadged it and it has a bit of a european sleeper look to it which I am comfortable with.

It is a very personal decision to make but given the new house, if you anticipate any financial constraints I would steer clear of the 996TT as the purchase price is merely an indication of the increased total cost of ownership.

Buy an MR and do the mods and you'll be happy.

Good Luck,

Technov