Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Apexi intake?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2005, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mr hotshot, no im not drunk, i wish tho and thanks for asking.

i think id be more likely to be catagorized as a flaming troll if i went on, say, the turbo trix forum and said the turbo trix flash is not the way to go. sure im allowed to say that, but its not really that appropriate since the people on that forum support TT and belive in what they sell. now while the vishnu forum tends to have a little more, shall we say, drama? associated with it, i would think the same rules apply. there have been enough threads turned into hot debates between tuners that its just polite not to start a new one saying the xede sux!!11one!! that there's a tech board which is not biased to any one vendor where people can address those concerns.

on a bigger scale, i dont see anyone coming onto evom telling us we bought the wrong car and evos are filth buckets, and likewise the same should apply here.

anyway, back on topic. you simply need a custom tune to run the intake, and its hard to give specific instutctions on how to tune your car for an intake as they affect each car differently.

edit..for the record i think intakes sound fkn cool on evos, i just dont wanna spend the money on something thats not going to pull its weight in hp gains. for 50 bux tho, hey cant go wrong.

Last edited by leif; Mar 31, 2005 at 12:10 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

i understand that we shouldn't spark another vendor war. that is agreed. all im saying is that bruno never ment to come on here and diss shiv, vishnu, or the xede, he was simply speaking in generalities about the ability to get an effective tune on the apexi intake. the only thing that he did was suggest a different, more "custom" tune, to maxmize those gains. This can go back on topic now.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 06:43 PM
Former Sponsor

and its hard to give specific instutctions on how to tune your car for an intake as they affect each car differently.
-leif

Leif, you are exactly Right. The problem with intakes is that they produce false MAF readings. This is where the power is normally found, being that the false reading can lean the fuel mixture out. However, when we tune a car, leaning the fuel mixture is part of the process, which we control by the engine managment, not luck. Furthermore, these false readings are always consistant, meaning that even if we predict what the intake will induce in terms of a/f alteration, it may be wrong...thats why i use the term, "luck." And because they are inconsistant, the map may be optimal one pull, and not the next.

While other systems may be able to "handle" an air intake, they do not handle many other things, such as OBD2, weather changes, and gas changes. For me, i would gladly give up an intake that sucks in hot air, in exchange for all of the features listed above that they xede does handle. But, to each is their own.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

So what intake are all you intake haters running As of right now I've been running a k&n drop in for a while..

I'm not causing trouble.. I am interested in the apex-i intake mainly because it has a nice induction box.. I do not want an open element filter. (it rains here a lot.. not to mention a lot of road debris)

I could care less about the sound.. that's probably the last factor for me in making a decision on a performance part
Old Mar 31, 2005, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

I'm also a bit curious. I understand the concepts behind keeping the stock airbox, and I also understand the idea of getting something that *might* be better flowing...so how about the best of both worlds and a Kansai or something? Have you tuned XEDE with any of these intakes and if so, did it seem more similar to an open air or to the stock box for tuning purposes?
Old Mar 31, 2005, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

ive got one on my car. Shiv custom tuned me not too too long ago with the apexi filter intake on my car.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 10:58 PM
Former Sponsor

If you think about it...

Car companys spend tons and tons of money to make their cars get the best gas milege, and pass smog with ease. They way they do this is by making items on the car freeflowing. On the exhaust side there is power to be had, because of they exhaust components need to be quiet, and must have restrictive cats in order to pass smog. However, on the intake side they really dont have any restrictions to work around.

A CAI is an easy and cheap R and D project, that can be sold for a good chunk of change, so many companies are happy to offer them.

I personaly run a stock air box on my car.