Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Changing Wastegate

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2005, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Wastegate

I am currently running Stage 1++, I was wondering what are the benefits of changing the stock wastegate to like Tail or Forge? Does it help with boost spike? Anyody here running an aftermarket wastegate with Xede or Stage 1++?
Old Apr 20, 2005, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

It may help stabilize boost a bit better. But you will need to bypass exhaust from both parts of the twin scroll in order to make an external wg work with the EVO. It will be interesting to see how you do this cleanly

Shiv
Old Apr 20, 2005, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

I dont mean to hijack your thread but I belive Buscher just came out with a external set-up for stock turbo. Sorry if this doesnt help you out but check them out.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
It may help stabilize boost a bit better. But you will need to bypass exhaust from both parts of the twin scroll in order to make an external wg work with the EVO. It will be interesting to see how you do this cleanly

Shiv
Will a new wastegate mess up the custom map on my Xede? Will it require a new tune?
Old Apr 20, 2005, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo23IG
Will a new wastegate mess up the custom map on my Xede? Will it require a new tune?
Before I answer that, i'd love to see pictures of how it's done
Old Apr 20, 2005, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo23IG
I am currently running Stage 1++, I was wondering what are the benefits of changing the stock wastegate to like Tail or Forge? Does it help with boost spike? Anyody here running an aftermarket wastegate with Xede or Stage 1++?
Forge doesn't make a wastegate, but they do make a wastegate actuator arm that is adjustable. I have never used one, but the theory behind it is the ability to make adjustments to the wastegate for better boost control w/ out too much spiking. You could possibly hold boost longer up to red line too, but the compressor may still run out of steam.

Adapting a Tial external wastegate would be a lot of work and a lot of money for very little in return.

Good luck though.

Last edited by jj_008; Apr 20, 2005 at 03:41 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.buschurracing.com/EVO8External021.JPG
Originally Posted by davidbuschur

Here you go guys. This is the newest thing from us. Not sure if I am ready to sell them yet but I did figure out pricing and they are going up on our website. We can always take them down later.

I should be dyno'ing the RS again this afternoon. I have posted my theory on the problems of high boost and the stock turbo here already (I think). If I am correct than this is going to fix the problem and let the stock turbo hold over my now low of 17 psi at redline.

It is a pretty sweet piece. It is on the RS without A/C right now I will have to check fitment with an EVO and A/C but I believe it is going to fit without any problems. The car lost some additional weight with this too, always a good thing. On the RS I am going to tap the dump from the wastegate back into the exhaust as the car has to stay quiet for the Car and Driver Super Four Challenge.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
FINALLY!!!! Some new information.

Well put the RS on the dyno with the above external wastegate setup on it.

The boost control problems were fixed. I don't believe they could get any better than they are right now.

Peak boost is 21.6 psi holds 19.8 to redline. The car made more HP than ever before, 393 whp on straight 94 octane and still had 373 whp at 7500 rpm.

Here is the problem. The car is very laggy for some reason now. I have some new theories on this. I believe the fact that the flow through the turbine housing is very disrupted with both wastegate ports now being open all the way is the culprit.

I'm not sure what I am going to do from here with the car. Getting ready for the C&D Super Four Challenge and I have some other ideas.

Our Red '03 EVO has to go back on the dyno tomorrow too, so mine is coming off.

What I would like to do is buy someone's MR turbine housing. Do any of you have one you'd like to sell me?

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
We have experimented with more tension on the stock spring, it is actually easy to do, just shorten the adjustable rod. The car ends up with higher boost spikes and still falls off on the top end. We have also added a larger external spring to hold it and it is the same story.

The problem I am guessing is happening right now is the two large holes are completely open. The exhaust flow is highly disrupted by this happening and I feel that is what is hurting the spool up.

I will have a 10.5 MR housing here Monday for testing.

The large cavity that you end up with on the EVO turbine housing definetely isn't helping any of the flow characteristics either.

BRB, gotta check something.......

I went to see if the wastegate will actually fit into the cavity on the EVO turbine housing. I think it could be made to fit, but the dual port on the normal EVO turbo won't work like that. Maybe the hot ticket is slide the external wastegate into the single port on the MR turbo and run it like that.........so many ideas so little time.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com

Last edited by MANGOOK; Apr 20, 2005 at 03:02 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Before I answer that, i'd love to see pictures of how it's done
I don't think its going to happen but what about the Forge Wastegate Actuator arm? What can you benefit from that?
Old Apr 20, 2005, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

where does the rest of the exhaust gas that is coming out of the wastegate go to on the Buschur one??
Old Apr 20, 2005, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alex_alex
where does the rest of the exhaust gas that is coming out of the wastegate go to on the Buschur one??
Dumps to atmosphere.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...and very laggy according to David...
Old Apr 20, 2005, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

That's because it's a terrible example of wastegate integration... yikes. The best option would be to get a higher sprung actuator. But that's only if your goal is to hold more boost to redline and run that turbo into portions of its turbine map that its not designed to run in in backpressure conditions that are painful to even think about (that's what is cracking the flapper door open afterall).

Shiv
Old Apr 20, 2005, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Okay I am conviced to leave the wastegate alone all together Thanks for the info Shiv. By the way car is running awesome, I did pull from third through fifth till about 130mph and the EGT never went higher 16, maybe a little past it but not much. I think the only power mods I am going to is upgrade the 02 housing, lower IC pipe, and either change my catback or flange near the test pipe.

Does a silencer take horsepower away?
Old Apr 20, 2005, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jj_008
Dumps to atmosphere.

what the f?? so you have a constant exhaust leak that goes straight into the car?
Old Apr 20, 2005, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alex_alex
what the f?? so you have a constant exhaust leak that goes straight into the car?
Yep! But only on full boost Lot of "tuners" recommend that because it's cheaper than properly reintroducing it back in the downpipe (with a slip or a flex joint). They insist it performs better too. It doesn't.

All it does is attract a lot of attention, burns your underbody coating and smells like crap.

shiv