Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Code reader w/SMART problem need help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2005, 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code reader w/SMART problem need help

Okay,
I start my car this morning and it almost starts and stalls. I try again and it starts fine but the SES light is on. I drive to work and try my new code reader. Here is what it does:
says launch, followed by - - - - one at a time then another - and then E. I tried a few times and I also left the code reader in there for 4 iterations. No change SES is on. The car works fine by the way. Thanks for your feedback.

Sigfrid
Old Aug 9, 2005, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ruzs
Okay,
I start my car this morning and it almost starts and stalls. I try again and it starts fine but the SES light is on. I drive to work and try my new code reader. Here is what it does:
says launch, followed by - - - - one at a time then another - and then E. I tried a few times and I also left the code reader in there for 4 iterations. No change SES is on. The car works fine by the way. Thanks for your feedback.

Sigfrid
That's odd that you get ---- instead of an actual code. Did you check the card reader manual?

If you're in a big hurry, you might want to call the support line in the cardreader manual. It's just an off-the-shelf OBD-II scantool anyway, so it should be completely unaffected by the Xede

d
Old Aug 9, 2005, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

code reader

I checked the manual and it says nothing about an E. It says the tool will read the codes and if you leave it plugged in it will for 4 times, it will erase the code. There is no support number or website so I really have no clue. I thought Vishnu guys could chime in.....

Sigfrid
Old Aug 9, 2005, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

I checked the manual and it says nothing about an E. It says the tool will read the codes and if you leave it plugged in it will for 4 times, it will erase the code. There is no support number or website so I really have no clue. I thought Vishnu guys could chime in.....

Sigfrid
You can contact launch here:

USA
Add:2460 Peck Road, City of Industry, CA90601
Tel: 562 463-1580
Fax: 562 463-1590
Toll free: 1-877-LAUNCH9
Mobile: 626 376-1177
Email: Usa@cnlaunch.com

d
Old Aug 9, 2005, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

No communication

So I called Launch and they said that there is no communication and that these readers might not work on our cars. I don't think that's the case. I tried the reader on a friend's car and the reader is working. What could be up with my car that an SES comes on because the car stalled and the communication protocol is not working. Jorge (evom member) read the codes on my car about 4 months ago and everything was fine... Any suggestions?

Sigfrid
Old Aug 9, 2005, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

I have noticed that my OBD2 scanner(not C reader) looses connection with the port while datalogging. I even took off the port to make sure all the pin/socket were making contact. My conclusion was the pins on the scanner plug are short and sometimes does not make good contact with the cars port, but wiggling the connection around makes it work.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

So I called Launch and they said that there is no communication and that these readers might not work on our cars. I don't think that's the case.
That's definitely not the case, as I know for a FACT that our cours are ISO compliant (one of the standards that the CReader supports). In addition, I used the CReader on my evo last week.

I tried the reader on a friend's car and the reader is working. What could be up with my car that an SES comes on because the car stalled and the communication protocol is not working.
I'm not sure what you're asking here, but I've gotten a SES from stalling before. Right before the engine dies, airflow is very low and it's thrown a code for my MAF sensor. It freaked me out when it happened. I thought my MAF sensor was damaged or something.

Jorge (evom member) read the codes on my car about 4 months ago and everything was fine... Any suggestions?
I suppose it's possible that the OBD-II port on your car got damaged, but I find that highly unlikely. The car is running when you try to connect it, right?

Are you using the little extension dongle that came with the reader or are you pluggin it straight into the port?

d
Old Aug 9, 2005, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

creader

Update,

I tried again and it still is not working. All the pins are good, clean, so I am at a loss. The code did clear itself out. Why, I don't know, but I guess it must have been the MAF reading as it almost started and fell on its face when it happened. I will contact Launch again to see what they think. I guess noone has had this problem before. Thanks for all the help.

Sigfrid
Old Aug 9, 2005, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Update,

I tried again and it still is not working. All the pins are good, clean, so I am at a loss. The code did clear itself out. Why, I don't know, but I guess it must have been the MAF reading as it almost started and fell on its face when it happened. I will contact Launch again to see what they think. I guess noone has had this problem before. Thanks for all the help.

Sigfrid
I would go to autozone (or somewhere else that has free scantool use) and try a different reader. You'll want to have that port working if something else goes wrong.

d
Old Aug 9, 2005, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

creader

I will definitely look into it. Thanks,
Old Aug 9, 2005, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

As donour stated, the key must be in the car and turned to the ON position so that the ECU has power and can communicate with the C-reader. When I plug my Creader in w/ the car off, it'll give me that "E".
Old Aug 9, 2005, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

I haven't checked yet but I think the C Reader that Vishnu sent is the same as the one I already have that I got off Ebay a couple years ago. The one from Ebay won't read from my car, period, I get the same E message which I interpret to mean error. I'll see if the Vishnu one is the same version as my other one and give you a call tonight Sig. I called this weekend, get my message?

Sam

Before anyone asks, the C Reader from Ebay works on some other cars, just not my Evo.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 05:59 AM
Evolving Member

Creader=piece of sheet or what

Has anyone connected this successfully to their EVO?
Has anyone had similar reading issues?

There is yet to be one single answer from Vishnu. I can't call long distance from work and I am getting zero support..........

Sigfrid
Old Aug 10, 2005, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Has anyone connected this successfully to their EVO?
Yes, post #7. I'm sure that shiv has used in on various evo's too.

d
Old Aug 10, 2005, 07:57 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

This will sound stupid, but have you tried disconnecting the car battery?