Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

AFR confusion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2005, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I take it that keeping it in the 0's is trying to stay in the "0" cells on the SMART fuel map? Would the VE of different engines affect where the "0" 's should be? I have a 2.3 so I just do not know if the 0's on the smart fuel map would be correct once the extra displacement is taken into account. And I would not even know to look at that map and to try and hit the 0's unless Shiv had said something.....
Old Aug 9, 2005, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow. ok i have been staring at these damn smart tables for an hour and a half.

I am seeing the same thing you guys are. at 6k RPM with an AFR of 10.5:1, SMART is going to ADD fuel. it will not remove fuel until an AFR of 9.5:!

NOW, what if we use the AFR calibration from the LM-1 10-20AFR table just for fun.
at 6k RPM, SMART will ADD fuel at 12.1:1 AFR, and be removing fuel at 11.5:1

Doesnt this sound more like what it should be doing?
Is it possible shiv created this SMART fuel table, basing the values on the LM-1 calibration?
Old Aug 9, 2005, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rushin
Case 2 doesn't seem possible since the analog out is calibrated by innovate, not vishnu. You can see it's exact calibration in the LM Programmer. That's where you got the numbers for your formula.. right?

EDIT: oh.. do you mean that vishnu had their lc-1 recalibrated?
No, the analog output range is factory standard. I meant calibration of the sensor (which the user does).

d
Old Aug 10, 2005, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WHAT AFR IS SMART AIMING FOR?
Old Aug 10, 2005, 08:48 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Can you not "chose" the AFR target you want with SMART? I thought that was the point?
Old Aug 10, 2005, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that you tune an AFR and then have values in the SMART fuel table so that the load cells try to stay in the 0 cells, but if they stray up or down (AFR thus changing) then the cells which surround the path of 0's have either - or + fuel offsets to get you back towards the path of 0's. The further you begin to stray then the harsher the offsets to put the load cells back on path. At least this is how it appears to me when I look at the SMART fuel map.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by EVIL_EV0
WHAT AFR IS SMART AIMING FOR?
It's aiming for the AFR "load" with zeros in the SMART fuel map.

For example: in the pump gas SMART template map, the 17-19 load area is zeroed out at 6500rpm.

17-19 ~= 9.9-10.2:1 AFR

(someone please correct me if I'm wrong! )
Old Aug 10, 2005, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Zeus
Can you not "chose" the AFR target you want with SMART? I thought that was the point?
Sure you can... edit the SMART fuel map. If you wanted to target 11.0:1, you would want to zero out the area around the 24-25% rows.

Look at the SMART race gas map template... it's got zeroes in the 23% row at high RPM.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:04 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

As I don't quite have SMART, I'm trying to figure out if i can set my various AFR's at the various load points I want to have, and then SMART add or subtract a given authority range based off of MY targets. I think Shiv himself re stated the obvious in that there is no static "optimal" target that that is good across the power band.

I guess I'm really starting to get confused... seems I'm going to have to make time for a phone call.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

I'm with you on this.

For example: in the pump gas SMART template map, the 17-19 load area is zeroed out at 6500rpm.

You need to pull up the smart fuel table along with the spreadsheet posted above. Read from left to right looking for the regions of zeros. The load (y-axis) is AN1in in the spreadsheet, where the AFR is the target.

Thus you will see that at low RPMs the AFR target is rather lean, where by the time your at 5500 RPM the target is 10 to 9.5.

Or at least that is my reading of the process....

Then if this is the case one can change the targets to whatever you want.

Here is a plot of what I think is going on. (How do you get a JPEG out of Excel? Sorry for the quality of the plot.)
Attached Thumbnails AFR confusion-dustin_needs_coffee_7494_image001.gif  

Last edited by freedom; Aug 10, 2005 at 10:32 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:50 AM

Another graph, with Excel file:

(I cut off the "8" load row because it screws up the graph)
Attached Thumbnails AFR confusion-smart-fuel-graph.gif  
Attached Files
File Type: zip
SMART Fuel graph.zip (4.6 KB, 6 views)
Old Aug 10, 2005, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by x99percent

I understand all this but the actual AFR sceme doesn't seem to correspond to the innovative software.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EV0
I understand all this but the actual AFR sceme doesn't seem to correspond to the innovative software.
It does for me. I did a datalog from XMap, then a datalog in LogWorks. both showed a ~10:1 AFR.

The thing to remember is that the Xede's AFR values have to be rescaled before they can be compared to the data from the LC-1 itself.

The problem is that shiv says the AFR Load of the SMART fuel map doesnt mean anything.

I do not see how this can be so. the Load variable of the smart fuel map IS the AFR (in 0-100%). The same AFR that is coming out of the LC-1 is being fed into the Xede Smart fuel map, and the fuel is being modified because of it. I do not see any other way this could work, unless there are underlying things in the Xede that we cannot see happening.

It should be as simple as creating a 'zero line' through the smart fuel map at the AFR ranges you want. however, shiv said not to touch this smart fuel map. so i do not know what to do....
Old Aug 10, 2005, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sackett
It should be as simple as creating a 'zero line' through the smart fuel map at the AFR ranges you want. however, shiv said not to touch this smart fuel map. so i do not know what to do....
If you don't edit the map, then the SMART Fuel map will always be trying to target the AFR values that Vishnu has decided on... this is great if you are running one of their staged tunes/packages, but not if you have a custom map that runs different AFRs.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

I think the best way to change the afr is to change the analog output using lm programmer. Changing the table is too difficult.