Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

AFR confusion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2005, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Hi guys,

Please don't deviate from the "happy zone" when dialing in your Fuel table. 17-19% corresponds to around 10.5:1, not around 9:1 as suggested by the innovate calibration data.
I have to step in here and point out that people claiming 17% -> 9:1 are simply wrong. 17% = 9.91:1, just like it should be. 20% is 10.35:1. After my runs last night (the software is so COOL by the way), I'm happy that fuel targets are pretty much what they should be.

This is because the XEDE does not display a 0-5v input as a perfect 0-100% signal. There appears to be a small offset, especially at lower voltages which cause the %-to-voltage relationship to deviate a bit. This doesn't matter when replicating a signal (as the XEDE is designed to do). But it can lead to confusion when trying to interpret voltage as a percentage as many have been trying to do.

Perhaps I should post up the calibration notes I acquired from my session on the dyno (when I correlated an1 input percentages (from the LC-1) to AFR (from the wideband on my Dyno). I'll dig this up tomorrow and post them. Sorry for posting the Innovate calibration data which lead to all this confusion.
You do know that you posted the wrong one, right? The correct values are in the manual. There's no table, but in really, there's no need for a table. It's simple arithmetic.

To be honest, I structured the whole SMART fuel system upon AN1 %, and NOT around nominal AFR since that will differ from wideband to wideband brand. It was my attempt to avoid this confusion that resulted in all this whole other confusion.

So, once again, please don't think you are running super rich. Those AN1 targets perfectly replicate the AFR trace we tune for in all our baseline maps, as we have been for the last 3 years. Yes, they are a bit conservative. But in no case are they stupidly rich.
To reiterate my previous post. With my correctly calibrated (true free air) LC-1, using the correct Innovate conversion factor, I got about 10.35:1 at my richest point. Seems ok to me.

d
Old Aug 11, 2005, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donour
I have to step in here and point out that people claiming 17% -> 9:1 are simply wrong. 17% = 9.91:1, just like it should be. 20% is 10.35:1. After my runs last night (the software is so COOL by the way), I'm happy that fuel targets are pretty much what they should be.
I hope you're not referring to me... I posted earlier:
Originally Posted by x99percent
17-19 ~= 9.9-10.2:1 AFR
I just showed one less decimal place than you.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

To reiterate my previous post. With my correctly calibrated (true free air) LC-1, using the correct Innovate conversion factor, I got about 10.35:1 at my richest point. Seems ok to me.
It is okay. That's what we tuned Dustin's car for. It should hit around 12:1 by 4000rpm, then drop into the mid 11s and then drop into the mid 10s in the last ~1500rpm of the rev range. The SMART Fuel tables in the race gas maps should be approximately 1 point leaner at all RPM points. We do not design these maps to hold a constant AFR from 4000rpm to redline. Although the AFR trace from Dynojets would suggest otherwise. I've never figured out why they tend to read leaner than most widebands I've compared them to. Oh well. I guess this drives home the point that not all AFRs are created equal and comparing AFRs measured on different widebands with different sensor placements (tailpipe probe vs. installed in downpipe bung) is going to be problematic. This is also the reason (attn: Zues) that we packaged the SMART system with the LC-1 and the LC-1 alone. As you can see, there is enough confusion on these matters without having to account for different types of widebands.

As for the SMART templates provided, it they be made a bit more agressive one is careful and knows what to look when doing so. I'll be updating the tuning tips in the SMART xede tutorial in the following days with this info.

Regards,
Shiv
Old Aug 11, 2005, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Can I assume that your pump happy zone AFR is for 91 oct?
Old Aug 11, 2005, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jorge T
That's what I'm running, although my tests were all run on 101 so as the quell all knock and minimize other effects of smart.

d
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

It is okay. That's what we tuned Dustin's car for. It should hit around 12:1 by 4000rpm, then drop into the mid 11s and then drop into the mid 10s in the last ~1500rpm of the rev range. The SMART Fuel tables in the race gas maps should be approximately 1 point leaner at all RPM points. We do not design these maps to hold a constant AFR from 4000rpm to redline. Although the AFR trace from Dynojets would suggest otherwise. I've never figured out why they tend to read leaner than most widebands I've compared them to. Oh well. I guess this drives home the point that not all AFRs are created equal and comparing AFRs measured on different widebands with different sensor placements (tailpipe probe vs. installed in downpipe bung) is going to be problematic. This is also the reason (attn: Zues) that we packaged the SMART system with the LC-1 and the LC-1 alone. As you can see, there is enough confusion on these matters without having to account for different types of widebands.

As for the SMART templates provided, it they be made a bit more agressive one is careful and knows what to look when doing so. I'll be updating the tuning tips in the SMART xede tutorial in the following days with this info.

Regards,
Shiv
Well I hope you program better than you spell (my name) as I have broken down and sold my PLX wide band, and have a SMART package on the way. However, it is looking more and more like "rocket science" than an average Joe system. Especially for those like myself who are going to use it with a custom flash...

It is very apparent now with all of the confusion why you are sticking to one wide band for now. I initially thought the system was going to be more user (read dummy) friendly.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

I wasn't going to say anything but you comments below drove me to it

The installation directions has one connect the LC-1's analog reference to the ECU's mounting bracket, not the Xede's ground. This can cause an offset at the digitizer (Xede) that can account for small offsets in the digitized number as seen by the Xede's processor. These small offsets obviously only count when the LC-1's output voltage is small.

I connected the LC-1's analog reference to the Xede's ground on the grey connector. While this could causes differences between my setup and how the maps were created, in runs yesterday logging the LC-1's view of the world (via Logworks) the resulting AFR tracks your goals very will. Thus in practice I'm not sure this makes much of a difference.

Hi guys,
This is because the XEDE does not display a 0-5v input as a perfect 0-100% signal. There appears to be a small offset, especially at lower voltages which cause the %-to-voltage relationship to deviate a bit. This doesn't matter when replicating a signal (as the XEDE is designed to do). But it can lead to confusion when trying to interpret voltage as a percentage as many have been trying to do.

Shiv
Old Aug 12, 2005, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by freedom
I wasn't going to say anything but you comments below drove me to it

The installation directions has one connect the LC-1's analog reference to the ECU's mounting bracket, not the Xede's ground. This can cause an offset at the digitizer (Xede) that can account for small offsets in the digitized number as seen by the Xede's processor. These small offsets obviously only count when the LC-1's output voltage is small.

I connected the LC-1's analog reference to the Xede's ground on the grey connector. While this could causes differences between my setup and how the maps were created, in runs yesterday logging the LC-1's view of the world (via Logworks) the resulting AFR tracks your goals very will. Thus in practice I'm not sure this makes much of a difference.
In theory, this is obviously the correct way of doing it. In practice though, ground should be ground. If you've got any significant potential difference in the ECU electrical system, I'd say you've got bigger problems than skewed AFR readings. I'd be interested to see somebody with high precision equipment do a check on various ground locations and post it. I can't imagine the difference would be very noticable though, especially at 8bit precision.

d
Old Aug 12, 2005, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Yep... we tried separate grounds for both the system and the heater and didn't see any measurable difference.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jorge T
Yep. 93-94 octane can run a couple ticks leaner, especially above 6000rpm.

Shiv
Old Aug 12, 2005, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Not at all true. Analog / RF engineers world wide are cringing at this thought.

But as cited any offset appears to be small enought with respect to the signal present as not to make any difference.

In practice though, ground should be ground.

d
Old Aug 12, 2005, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Not at all true. Analog / RF engineers world wide are cringing at this thought.
I know. I was biting my tongue as I wrote it. I still stand by the statement though. For 8bit sampling of our 0-5v signal, ground should be ground. You seem to agree, if there's enough potential between our ground sources to cause a reading difference (it'd have to be enough to 0.02v or 0.06AFR), then the electronics probably have bigger problems.

d
Old Aug 12, 2005, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

It's more than that given that the high resolution section of the table translates to 0.1v between cells.

I was going to say that 0.1v around the ECU isn't going to occur. I just checked the schematic for the ECU and its ground point is at the fuse/relay box in the engine compartment. (Xede's ground is the ECU's ground.) In the past I have measured 0.5v between the battery ground and the ground point on the left front fender wall.

Thus to be honest I'll bet that there is at least 0.1v of offset between a ground point in the dashboard and the engine compartment. I would run out and measure the ground offset but I'm sick of looking at that part of the car, at least for today....
Old Aug 12, 2005, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Then how about grounding the ECU bracket to the engine compartment ground? I would spend the time to run a wire to fix what could be a .1 to .5v offset. would this be feasable?

It's more than that given that the high resolution section of the table translates to 0.1v between cells.

I was going to say that 0.1v around the ECU isn't going to occur. I just checked the schematic for the ECU and its ground point is at the fuse/relay box in the engine compartment. (Xede's ground is the ECU's ground.) In the past I have measured 0.5v between the battery ground and the ground point on the left front fender wall.

Thus to be honest I'll bet that there is at least 0.1v of offset between a ground point in the dashboard and the engine compartment. I would run out and measure the ground offset but I'm sick of looking at that part of the car, at least for today....
Old Aug 12, 2005, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

In my opinion it is less trouble to strip back the insulation on the Xede's ground pin and move the LC-1's analog ground to that point rather than pulling a wire.

In any case let me make a measurement of the difference between the two points before you invest the time. But it's too hot outside right now to play. I'll do it in the morning and post it up here.

Originally Posted by Sackett
Then how about grounding the ECU bracket to the engine compartment ground? I would spend the time to run a wire to fix what could be a .1 to .5v offset. would this be feasable?