Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

AFR confusion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2005, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me put this to rest. I measured the differential voltage between the ECU's ground and the point behind the glove box that the Vishnu instructions cites. With various loads (AC, light, etc.) I only found a maximum of 0.008V or less than one LSB.

This is not an issue, thus the grounding at the ECU bracket is ok.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by freedom
Let me put this to rest. I measured the differential voltage between the ECU's ground and the point behind the glove box that the Vishnu instructions cites. With various loads (AC, light, etc.) I only found a maximum of 0.008V or less than one LSB.
See? Ground is ground.

Seriously though, thanks for the check. The Voltmeter I have in my garage is so crappy I wouldn't trust it to measure anything besides the existence or absence of a 12v potential.

d
Old Aug 13, 2005, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey...I always try to admit when I'm wrong

An interesting find is that the ECU is grounded to a point just behind the battery where in fact the battery ground is also connected (the ground line continues on to another point that I didn't bother to locate.) That said when you measure differential voltages you (read your truly) should not use the battery ground post as there is a larger difference at that point. This is explained by the finite resistance of the connection between the battery and this first ground point, as well as a non-trivial current when the car is up and running...

Thus when I said there was 0.5v in the engine compartment grounds, in fact I was measuring the loss across the battery ground wire. So much for the grounding kit advocates....