Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Boost kicking in around 4500 rpm

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2005, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost kicking in around 4500 rpm

I just installed my new Xede V3. I loaded a V3 map for the V300 (stock 2004 EVO with just the Xede). The Perrin downpipe and cat back go on next week.

I ran a quick zip up the road to get a feel for the extra power gain. My butt check noticed that the turbo seems to be kicking in later than before the Xede install. Before the install, right around 3200 to 3500 you would feel the turbo kick in. Now it seems like the turbo is kicking in around 4200 to 4500.

I don't have a boost gauge yet...so I know that would have helped me to make sure I don't have boost leaks.

The car feels more powerful...which is a good thing.

The install seemed to go OK once I had the right version

I am including a data log. Basically I backed out of the garged, zipped up the right about 1/4 mile...to 3rd gear...pushing the car pretty hard...and then backed off. Let me know if the data log looks OK..or if anyone sees anything odd. I don't know how to read these yet....
Old Aug 11, 2005, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Um...If you aren't using SMART then AN1 in/out and AN0 in/out aren't really being used. Therefore your data log doesn't really have any information in it.

d
Old Aug 11, 2005, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

The only reason your boost would lag is if you aren't seeing the boost control solenoid kick on early enough. Next time, what the boost screen and see if the highlight box goes into the big numbers (90-100%) as soon as you put your foot into it. If it hangs around the Zero portion for longer than it should, you'll be running off mechanical wastegate pressure for the time being

Shiv
Old Aug 12, 2005, 04:31 AM
Evolving Member

Where is the "boost screen". I don't see any screen with that titled in the Xmap3 software.

On the drive in this morning....my butt check boost check...seems that maybe boost is like it was before...it kicked in around 3500 today. I think maybe what I am noticing is the extra power in the higher RPM ranges than what I was used to.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

I think Shiv means bring up the boost map and highlight every cell. Then when you go for a drive you will moving yellow box will cause those cells that were utilized to change color. This will tell you what portion of the map was employed.

The Evo seems to do something strange with first gear. When I "attack" first gear from a stop I get power and boost per the map. On the other hand when I take a slow roll and then add a lot of power the car doesn't make full boost (per the map) until much later (pulling timing?).
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

I looked at they map I sent you. And the problem was because the boost control duty cycle would only ramp up after 25% load. I lowered it to come one at load 20 which is just above cruising loads. It should fix the problem. Give it a shot

Shiv
Attached Files
File Type: zip
James Gephart v3 map.zip (789 Bytes, 36 views)
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Cool. I'll load it up today after work and see how it does.