Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Gas Prices too high - time for FFV mods?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2005, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gas Prices too high - time for FFV mods?

Since Vishnu seems to be on the bleeding edge of Evo performance with the SMART feature, I was thinking you guys might be the first to offer a new feature for the XEDE to enable the use of ethanol instead of gasoline. It would be cool to have an XEDE constantly monitoring oxygenate levels in the fuel and adjusting timing and injector pulsewidths accordingly. Then maybe I could just order 102 octane E85 (85% ethanol, 15% gasoline) from the midwest and laugh at the people paying nearly $3.00/gal for 92 octane. Imagine the possibilities! Imagine the power you could get running 102 octane fuel all the time!
Old Aug 14, 2005, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would anyone else be interested in this?

Shiv
Old Aug 14, 2005, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

I bet you anything others would be. Would enthanol work basically the same as race gas? What are the advantages and disadvantages of using that type of fuel?
Old Aug 14, 2005, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

i too would like to know the advantages/disadvantages...and cost.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

I'd absolutely be interested.

Machron: Remember per the earlier discussion that E85 has a lower energy content than gasoline. You'd have to buy more of it. Mile for mile, I'm not sure it'd actually be cheaper.

EDIT: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...&highlight=E85

d

Last edited by donour; Aug 14, 2005 at 08:38 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 08:45 PM

I'd be interested, seeing how it's readily available in my area.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donour

Machron: Remember per the earlier discussion that E85 has a lower energy content than gasoline. You'd have to buy more of it. Mile for mile, I'm not sure it'd actually be cheaper.

d
I agree that it may not be cost effective w/ the amount of fuel that an Evo needs at WOT. Plus, their would be alot of fuel getting into the oil w/ a real rich AFR. Either way, I think it would be a neat experiment.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

I know methanol can be pretty tough on rubber fuel lines with prolonged continuous use. Does the same apply to ethanol? If so, all the fuel lines would have to be upgraded appropriately.

I ethanol is safe and feasible to run in our cars without any substantial hardware changes (other than perhaps larger injectors), I'm totally game for making a map for it. Might not start up as cleanly as normal pump gas. But it looks like it will make helluva lot more power, have lower emission and add a lot of cool factor I'd be most curious as to what kind of fuel efficiency we would get with the lower energy fuel. Certainly worth experimenting with. Anyone game??

Shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Aug 14, 2005 at 09:54 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:07 PM

I'd definitely want to get that on my car! I was gonna get xede anyways, but this would make it a must!
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

I recall reading on NASIOC a while ago someone, I believe HOTROD, said they had been using it for almost two years fairly regularly without any ill effect.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

I'm in the midwest and have that stuff. It's complete ****. You LOOSE power with it, not gain it. May as well pay more money for the real stuff and get the extra power. (went into my daily driver, not the evo btw.)
Old Aug 15, 2005, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoVIII_MR2005
I'm in the midwest and have that stuff. It's complete ****. You LOOSE power with it, not gain it. May as well pay more money for the real stuff and get the extra power. (went into my daily driver, not the evo btw.)
Was your car set up to support both E85 and regular gasoline? Most reports I've seen indicate that in order to really take advantage of it, your car needed to be tuned to use E85 exclusively.

For those of you who are getting overly excited, let me remind you that this stuff is pretty hard to find. How many people would honestly drive 100+ miles just to get gas?

However, in metropolitan areas the stuff can be quite accessable. I remember there was an E85 pump like two miles from my apt in chicago -- but of course, I lived downtown...

d
Old Aug 15, 2005, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donour

d
Sure it has a lower energy content, but the higher octane should let you run fairly lean (in as far as stoichiometric for alcohol) and let you run high boost levels. I don't know of any FFV that are turbocharged and/or run high compression. They are normally tuned for E85 and 87 octane, which I'm sure nets awful fuel milagle on E85.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cannonballer
I recall reading on NASIOC a while ago someone, I believe HOTROD, said they had been using it for almost two years fairly regularly without any ill effect.
They were using it on an STi?
Old Aug 15, 2005, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
I know methanol can be pretty tough on rubber fuel lines with prolonged continuous use. Does the same apply to ethanol? If so, all the fuel lines would have to be upgraded appropriately.

I ethanol is safe and feasible to run in our cars without any substantial hardware changes (other than perhaps larger injectors), I'm totally game for making a map for it. Might not start up as cleanly as normal pump gas. But it looks like it will make helluva lot more power, have lower emission and add a lot of cool factor I'd be most curious as to what kind of fuel efficiency we would get with the lower energy fuel. Certainly worth experimenting with. Anyone game??

Shiv
Methanol is super harsh and corrosive. Ethanol is not corrosive, but it can dry out rubber seals and lines that aren't designed for ethanol. I looked in my owner's manual and it says my Evo is warranteed for fuel up to 10% ethanol, which I'm assuming is only because of the tuning and not that it would damage parts. I could be wrong though.

Quick Reply: Gas Prices too high - time for FFV mods?