Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

gm maf?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2005, 08:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yep, I agree the value is definitely in the ability to run a blowthrough configuration. Although the Evo MAF can flow more than enough air for most cars, the MAF experiences anomolous turbulence, and stops reading consistently when airflow rates are very high, plus surge, recirculation, and noise causes issues.. The big issue is consistency of the tune.. Most can work around it by tuning things a little conservative in areas that don't read consistently, but thats really not a solution.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well I had the GM unit on my 2G GSX. I had issues with wet weather driving and so did many others.

I for one would love to VTA and get rid of the stock MAF that seems to be overly sensative to aftermarket intakes.....but like I said I doubt you will find any support here.

JJ
Old Aug 29, 2005, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vishnu/Tuning Technologies will be tuning my car on race fuel as soon as my car is fully broken in and the heat wave passes (it is 107 degrees outside right now). If I can use the stock maf successfully on this tune, we may learn something of the limits of its capabilities.

If the stock maf can handle my motor, I won't mind taking extra pains to keep it happy, whether that be the use of the stock airbox or a very cleverly designed aftermarket one.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ha! I'm working on the "cleverly designed one", but I still think a blowthrough MAF will be the ultimate solution.

So why are people continually talking about the GM unit and not the Cobra MAF that MalibuJack has on his car? I'd really like to know why...

l8r)
Old Aug 29, 2005, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

the gm maf is cheap and can handle positive pressure well. there are prbably hundreds of blown or turboed gm cars running on the stack maf and ecu. we have dynoed about a dozen over or close to 500whp.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
So why are people continually talking about the GM unit and not the Cobra MAF that MalibuJack has on his car? I'd really like to know why...

l8r)
Probably because 90% of EVO owners used to be Eclipse/Talon owners. The GM Maf is a the primary blow through on the the DSM.

JJ
Old Aug 29, 2005, 07:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Yep.. I actually chose the Cobra unit over the GM unit because I had a corvette, and it was always cranky in wet weather (stall, misread, etc).. I've never had that issue on the Cobra unit... But its because the technology for the GM MAF is a little cheaper, and the MAFT has been around a bit longer for the DSM's..

Either option as a blowthrough is a benefit.. I have run the cobra unit as a drawthrough, but didn't find it as beneficial as putting it in the upper intercooler pipe. I have amazing drivability and idle with the MAF setup I run, regardless of the weather.

I don't have first-hand experience with a GM MAF on a DSM, only Camaros and Corvettes, but they all used to get cranky when used with "positive pressure" (basically as a blowthrough setup) I had two camaros and a corvette, all were supercharged..
Old Aug 30, 2005, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

What ECU mods do you have?
Old Aug 30, 2005, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

MalibuJack,

If you don't mind helping me out via e-mail/PM on occassion, I'd like to give building a Cobra MAF based blowthrough setup for my car a shot. I won't need help building the UIC pipe, but I will need some help as far as how to log the output from the MAF(s).

l8r)
Old Aug 30, 2005, 08:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
What ECU mods do you have?
Stock ECU, UTEC, Pro-Flow MAF Calibrator, Pro-Flow MAF sensor, Pro-Flow Karmann Converter. Thats it for the ECU.. I can remove the UTEC and the car runs on the stock ECU with no issues.. I can also swap the proflow sensor for the stock sensor (without removing the sensor) and plug the wiring back in..

The only advantage to using standalone hardware is there is no dependency on the engine management setup.. I have to ask around to see if anyone has spare units that I can get as a backup for mine..

If you cannot get the MAF to work with the XEDE, all is not lost, you can get the electronics from Splitsec.com and use it as a standalone setup.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 08:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
MalibuJack,

If you don't mind helping me out via e-mail/PM on occassion, I'd like to give building a Cobra MAF based blowthrough setup for my car a shot. I won't need help building the UIC pipe, but I will need some help as far as how to log the output from the MAF(s).

l8r)
On my car I used the aux input on the TurboXS Tuner, if your wideband setup has an aux analog input, you can log and power the sensor temporarily with that, so you can create an airflow map for calibration of the stock MAF..

I'm going to try to e-mail splitsec and see if they can build a version of their PSC capable of reading to 3khz instead of 2khz, their standard unit goes to 2.5khz.

In reality, the XEDE does have the ability to use an analog input that can be mapped to karmann output, so I don't see why you shouldn't be able to work with it easily. The big issue is finding a AIT sensor thats output closely matches the stock temp sensor so your not fiddling with calibration.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

ECUplus (ecuplus.com) can directly translate GM's 3 or even 3.5" MAF. It's almost plug and play.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

And I only a few GM MAF has built in AIT sensor (3.5" units from Corvette Z-06 and some trucks).