Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

gm maf?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2005, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gm maf?

has anyone tried using a maf translator and a gm mass air meter on an evo? what kind of things may i encounter by trying to use one? i have no problem with experimenting and attempting to calibrate one. any advice from someone who has tried it? or uses this type of set up on a dsm?
Old Aug 18, 2005, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

I think MalibuJack has used a GM MAF, but IIRC he uses a UTEC and has not yet messed with a XEDE yet.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 07:03 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Yech. Not a good idea at all, IMO.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

You need to talk to MalibuJack and Shiv.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

A mech. told me he could order me one. He said the design is more high flow, supposedly he has it on his 11sec VR-4.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 07:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm using a ford Cobra MAF, but its functionally similar..

It works really well, at least my setup does.. It takes some time to calibrate and set up. And Shiv and I pondered how difficult it would be to integrate a GM MAF sensor (or any analog maf sensor for that matter) in place of the Karmann sensor and map the frequency to the voltage..

The advantages of a blowthrough MAF is much larger airflow capacity than the stock MAF.. not so much in CFM, but in signal, what I mean is, when you get very high air volume or speed going through the sensor, or compressor surge, or recirculation from the DV, you cause anomolous readings, in some cases depending on conditions you may never get the same reading twice, which makes tuning frustrating at least. With a blowthrough MAF, you don't have those issues.

The blowthrough maf does have some disadvantages though, lag in airflow can cause some amount of tip-in lean condition as the MAF signal lags behind the throttle input, so you need some way of compensating tip-in. Also, its a little time consuming to match the signal to the OE Karmann signal. I think I adjusted mine for several months before I was close. Sometimes idle can be affected as airflow lags behind, but this only applies to sensors that don't have a lower-limit that can be set (mine doesnt do that because it will never go below 32hz no matter how the engine idles)

If you have the time and patience, I think its a worthwhile effort, and has benefits over both the stock MAF and the compromises you make with speed density..

Anyone who has ridden in my car always comments about the stable and smooth idle, the linear pull, and the stable readings, so it says alot for the sensor since the car is way more drivable than it was before I did the sensor.. and I'm talking conditions where its really hot and muggy, where your idle might typically be troublesome due to engine load of the alternator powering the fans..

The not so important side effect of a blowthrough MAF is if your DV/BOV is located before the MAF sensor, you will never meter air thats vented, and therefore don't have to recirculate. However, the cost involved in doing this can never justify doing it for this reason...

To do his right, expect to modify your upper intercooler pipe, and spend $500 or more on the components needed. What I'm hoping is that the Xede (and soon the UTEC) will have the ability to use aftermarket MAF sensors built in, and some instructions on how to do it.. Hopefully I can offer what I've learned to benefit everyone..
Old Aug 19, 2005, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That would be cool, I have talked to you before about the GM MAF, but I do not have the time nor knowledge in this area to figure out how to get the pieces to have a happy coexistence with each other. If Shiv ever plays around with this then it might be pretty neat.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unless you are running a big **** turbo does it really make sense to move away from the stock maf?
Old Aug 19, 2005, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

i had this setup on my vr4. it worked well because the factory first gen maf was such a pile. when it comes to the evo the maf is light years ahead. after personally dynoing an evo with the stock maf and an afc to 516whp i see no need to upgrade it. the gm performs well but when the stocker will get over 500whp why bother?
Old Aug 19, 2005, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by beavis4g63t
after personally dynoing an evo with the stock maf and an afc to 516whp i see no need to upgrade it.
WOW, thats impressive. Whos EVO is this?
Old Aug 19, 2005, 07:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by EVIL_EV0
Unless you are running a big **** turbo does it really make sense to move away from the stock maf?
Yes, and no.. The stock MAF has some issues with tuning and drivability that can be overcome with an aftermarket blowthrough MAF... Remember this type of mod is more than about making peak numbers, its about consistency, drivability, and flexibility, things I've had trouble with before I went to the Ford Cobra setup I'm using.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Drews_WRX
WOW, thats impressive. Whos EVO is this?
dyno charts and discussion can be found here:
http://www.socalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11595

track results can be found here:
http://www.socalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11650
Old Aug 28, 2005, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Aug 29, 2005, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I doubt you will find support for the GM MAF here since you can barely get support for much easier questions from these guys.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

I used to run the GM MAF and translator on my 1g Talon and had great luck with it but as was already mentioned, that was a huge upgrade over my 1st gen MAF. Its probably not needed on an evo due to the better stock MAF. The blow through setup is nice since you are getting the correct air/fuel mix even if you have a boost leak or have a VTA BOV. You are only metering air that is going into the throttle body.