Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Primary differences between 3071 & 3076 turbo kits

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2005, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting thread here, I'll add my 2 cents.

I've spend sometime at Track Day events and needed to find a turbo that allowed smooth throttle tip in when riding someone's tailend and trying to set them up to be passed. My first attempt was with a TME with ported Manifold & O2 housing, 3" TBE with mild 264 cams.

That result was like having a light switch for a gas pedal. It was either ***** to the wall or less then stock performance. This really upset the chassie when rolling through the 19 turns at Watkins Glen.

Moving ahead.

I reached out and spoke with a few of the Road course guys here on the net and got some realtime feed back as to what had been allowing EVO's to be all they can be on road courses. After exchanging ideas & info with some of them I was looking for a "old style" BR500 turbo package. What to do as Burchur stopped making it.?

At the same time I also needed a new motor as a stock rod make a quick exit. I was already shipping a Corvette to S. Dakota from the East Coast so I added the EVO to the trailer with detour directions to Wakeman, OH.

I also went out to the DSM Shootout while my car was at Wakeman to learn more about 2 Liter motors & what type of turbos are used on them for different applications. I was even allowed to drive and surge a few on the back roads of Ohio. What this did was really help me distill what Turbo I didn't want for my Track Day car.

Now, what I wound up with is a Wakeman 2.0 built bottom end with 280 cams and a GT3071R hair dryer with AEM control on 93 street gas. On my first time at POCONO for a shakedown on street tires the EVO was all I had hoped it would be. The car easily achieved the same entry speeds as stock Z06's with much better exit speeds then the Z06. I also had another Instructor with a race prepped 911 on Hoosier's that the EVO just played with at will.

The GT3071 is not a Drag Race Package, But Road Racing ain't Drag Racing.
(It last longer then 11 to 12 seconds.....)

I Hope this has been helpful to some.

MachC5
Old Dec 3, 2005, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MACHC5
Interesting thread here, I'll add my 2 cents.

I've spend sometime at Track Day events and needed to find a turbo that allowed smooth throttle tip in when riding someone's tailend and trying to set them up to be passed. My first attempt was with a TME with ported Manifold & O2 housing, 3" TBE with mild 264 cams.

That result was like having a light switch for a gas pedal. It was either ***** to the wall or less then stock performance. This really upset the chassie when rolling through the 19 turns at Watkins Glen.

Moving ahead.

I reached out and spoke with a few of the Road course guys here on the net and got some realtime feed back as to what had been allowing EVO's to be all they can be on road courses. After exchanging ideas & info with some of them I was looking for a "old style" BR500 turbo package. What to do as Burchur stopped making it.?

At the same time I also needed a new motor as a stock rod make a quick exit. I was already shipping a Corvette to S. Dakota from the East Coast so I added the EVO to the trailer with detour directions to Wakeman, OH.

I also went out to the DSM Shootout while my car was at Wakeman to learn more about 2 Liter motors & what type of turbos are used on them for different applications. I was even allowed to drive and surge a few on the back roads of Ohio. What this did was really help me distill what Turbo I didn't want for my Track Day car.

Now, what I wound up with is a Wakeman 2.0 built bottom end with 280 cams and a GT3071R hair dryer with AEM control on 93 street gas. On my first time at POCONO for a shakedown on street tires the EVO was all I had hoped it would be. The car easily achieved the same entry speeds as stock Z06's with much better exit speeds then the Z06. I also had another Instructor with a race prepped 911 on Hoosier's that the EVO just played with at will.

The GT3071 is not a Drag Race Package, But Road Racing ain't Drag Racing.
(It last longer then 11 to 12 seconds.....)

I Hope this has been helpful to some.

MachC5
Incredibly helpful! Thank you very much. At what RPM do you feel the turbo start to bite now? Also, which exhaust manifold are you using?

And keep toasting those Vettes!
Old Dec 3, 2005, 04:33 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Here's the results of the Stg 2 30R'd 05 EVO I tuned yesterday:

Why does the power on the race gas map drop off so sharply like that after 6400rpm?
Old Dec 3, 2005, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Why does the power on the race gas map drop off so sharply like that after 6400rpm?
A combination of conservative cams (264,264), relative lack of octane and a turbo that is approaching it's max flow capacity (27psi at 7500rpm is no joke!)

Any additional power gains would have to be achieved through more aggressive tuning, not more boost at high rpm. Although one could certainly run a few more psi throughout the midrange.

shiv
Old Dec 5, 2005, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Shiv, why do the curves in the above chart not intersect at 5250rpm? Did you graph the torque on a different scale than whp?

l8r)
Old Dec 5, 2005, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Shiv, why do the curves in the above chart not intersect at 5250rpm? Did you graph the torque on a different scale than whp?

l8r)
Because boost and HP don't need to cross at 5250
Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, the stage 2 makes some nice numbers. Any plans on a holiday sale?

Would you be able to keep the stage 2 from dropping off by adding the AMS Meth injection with Xede control?

Maybe by adding it like...
25% at 5600
50% at 6000
100% at 6300+
Old Dec 5, 2005, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Because boost and HP don't need to cross at 5250
LOL, I'm an idiot...

Cajun, I suspect that the biggest reason the car that was dynoed started to fall off is because of the cams. If you wanted to try to hold power a little bit longer, you'd have to go with 280s. I've been told that an intake manifold (read: AMS') might also help, but I don't have the extra ca$h to put it to the test at the moment.

l8r)
Old Dec 6, 2005, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Cool, thanks Ludi!

I have decided that you must not work. You are always on here. LOL
Old Dec 6, 2005, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Unfortunately I'm working two jobs right now .. (gotta pay for that habit) ... but being in IT means I've always got internet access.

l8r)
Old Dec 10, 2005, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

What a great thread.

I need to go to turbo school to learn wtf is going on though!

Can't I just make 400whp(DD) on 93 octane with spoolup @ 3500? dang!
Old Dec 10, 2005, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

You might be able to do tha ton an evo9 with some sort of modified stock turbo, stroked, with meth on 93....

Scorke
Old Dec 10, 2005, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Has anybody else considering the 3071 or 3076 started seriously researching the Evo IX turbo? The more I'm reading the more I'm blown away by what tuners have been able to do with simple bolt-ons and software flashes. The consensus seems to be that, while the MIVEC sustains an improved power plateau in the midrange, 95% of the increased "tunability" of the IX over the VIII is directly related to the new turbo.

Originally Posted by Evillusion
What a great thread.

I need to go to turbo school to learn wtf is going on though!

Can't I just make 400whp(DD) on 93 octane with spoolup @ 3500? dang!
You could get real close to that with a 3071 kit if you're running an equal length manifold, big cams and doing the dyno runs on a Dynojet machine.

Last edited by Steiner; Dec 10, 2005 at 04:30 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Same here, it's been almost 8 months I was looking for a street turbo such as the 3071R ir 3076R... and now the IX turbo look very good with quick spools ( but aggressive tuning and race gas? ).

Now I'm just waiting someone using the Evo IX turbo and see what happen