Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Porsche 996tt Reflash: Results so far...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2005, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does the maps switching work? Can Vishnu do this to the Evo IX and VIII, or this flash only work for Porsches?
Old Dec 15, 2005, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

I would post over on 6speed and see how much interest you could generate.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Doogie Howser
I would post over on 6speed and see how much interest you could generate.
We're not vendors over there so we probably shouldn't post this info there. But nothing stopping others from directing them over here

There is still more work that needs to be done on this particular car. And for the first several months, I don't anticipate doing ANY mailorder work. There will be only in-house custom tuning we get a good assortment of baseline maps. But what fun that will be! I don't think Porsche owners have ever been presented with such a service until now. It's really interesting to see that the simple act of a baseline dyno run involves them dismantling the driveshaft and converting the car to RWD. This is because AWD dynojets have been known to eat viscous coupling center diffs for lunch since there is no fore-aft wheelspeed control between the two rollers.

As for EVOs, we do intend to apply this technology on that front as well. But more work needs to be done. There are very interesting things around the corner-- for reflashes as well as XEDEs

shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Dec 15, 2005 at 06:05 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wthoevo8
How does the maps switching work? Can Vishnu do this to the Evo IX and VIII, or this flash only work for Porsches?

Right now, only Porsche. But notice the italic on "right now"

-shiv
Old Dec 15, 2005, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Shiv you are a jack of all trades when it comes to tuning. It's very impressive! Tell us a little about the boost on the 996 twin turbo. How much are you increasing boost beyond the stock settings?
Old Dec 15, 2005, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Shiv how large are the stock turbos on the 996tt and what would be the jdm equivalent?
(keep the 996tt thread updated because it looks like an older sibling might be getting one soon due to evo envy )

I also can't think of any vw/audi/porsche tuning solution that does custom dyno tuning, they just load maps onto your ecu.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by modvp
Shiv you are a jack of all trades when it comes to tuning. It's very impressive! Tell us a little about the boost on the 996 twin turbo. How much are you increasing boost beyond the stock settings?
Boost is controlled at approx 1 bar with the reflash. Here's a dyno graph with boost ploted (stock ECU vs. Reflash-in-progress ECU):

1 bar is pretty tame compared to what I've seen and tested from off-the-shelf reflashes for the 996tt. But ours is making considerably more torque across the board. Mainly because it runs rich as possible without killing power and doesn't pull back timing everywhere (just at 4800rpm for now.) Interestingly enough, this iisolated knock retard event is only showing up 20% of the time when doing pulls on the highway. That's mostly attributable to the fact that our dyno facilities aren't set up as well as they could be when it come to cooling side fender mounted intercoolers and rear-mounted air filters. There is a 50 deg F difference between air filter temps between dyno and road... something we NEVER see with EVOs and other front engined cars. Fixing this cooling issue is tomorrow's task Need to get it done by 3pm because we have an Elise coming in for XEDE tuning in 3.30pm

Shiv
Old Dec 15, 2005, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Doogie Howser
Shiv how large are the stock turbos on the 996tt and what would be the jdm equivalent?
(keep the 996tt thread updated because it looks like an older sibling might be getting one soon due to evo envy )

I also can't think of any vw/audi/porsche tuning solution that does custom dyno tuning, they just load maps onto your ecu.
Hmm... i couldn't even wager a guess on what the factory k16 turbos would equate to in the Garret world. Maybe something like T25s. Perhaps even smaller.

shiv
Old Dec 15, 2005, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
PS. Does anyone know of any other tuning shop that actually does custom dyno tuning on Porsches? By custom, I mean really custom. All the other shops I've researched are just flash loading stations that reflash the ECUs with baseline ROM files (from GIAC, APR, etc,.) and nothing more. We can't possibly be the only one doing it right, can we?

Besides RUF.

Friend of mine got his work done at Evolution Motorsports (http://www.evoms.com). Although I don't know if his flash is custom or some baseline map. The gains are similiar to yours though. 100 wtq on an otherwise stock vehicle.

EDIT: while I'm thinking about it -- yeah, the 996 turbos are pretty small (relatively speaking). Combined with vanos lag is minimal, even at high altitude. I think I have a compressor chart in an email archive somewhere. I'll see if i can find it.

d
Old Dec 20, 2005, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

what were the gains on that Lotus?
Old Dec 20, 2005, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by donour
Besides RUF.

Friend of mine got his work done at Evolution Motorsports (http://www.evoms.com). Although I don't know if his flash is custom or some baseline map. The gains are similiar to yours though. 100 wtq on an otherwise stock vehicle.

EDIT: while I'm thinking about it -- yeah, the 996 turbos are pretty small (relatively speaking). Combined with vanos lag is minimal, even at high altitude. I think I have a compressor chart in an email archive somewhere. I'll see if i can find it.

d
http://forcedfed.com/about.html
Old Dec 20, 2005, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

996 market is going to be tought to crack, they will NOT deal with "It will be done in a week" crap because they can go anywhere to get work done. Also if you blow one up it's not 3-4k to fix like a evo. It is the same type of work like my NSX, I spend money on Comptech because they are good and proven and backed by acura. Is Vishnu going to be sold like this or just a tuner in cali and no local support?
Old Dec 20, 2005, 08:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Shiv mentioned that he may look into insurance or something like that. Evos just aren't priced high enough to warrant it, but Posches are.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Atlmethevo
996 market is going to be tought to crack, they will NOT deal with "It will be done in a week" crap because they can go anywhere to get work done. Also if you blow one up it's not 3-4k to fix like a evo. It is the same type of work like my NSX, I spend money on Comptech because they are good and proven and backed by acura. Is Vishnu going to be sold like this or just a tuner in cali and no local support?
Vishnu backed by Porsche? Now that I gotta see!

Originally Posted by Atlvalet
Shiv mentioned that he may look into insurance or something like that. Evos just aren't priced high enough to warrant it, but Posches are.

Insurance? What do you think a premium for an errors and ommisions policy would go for on a risk like this? Although the Dyno would make for some nice collateral
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Atlmethevo
You still can't have a stage 3, Ryan!

Quick Reply: Porsche 996tt Reflash: Results so far...