Old Jun 29, 2006, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's what he learned at college
Old Jun 29, 2006, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dustin@Vishnu
There is a difference between cars that are AWD, and AWD with a FWD bias. Take the VW R32 for example. That car uses a haladex clutch, which only sends power to the rear under wheel slippage. So during most driving conditions the car is basically a fwd car. The evo on the other hand does not act like this. It has a fixed bias.
so basically it's determined by the power delivery..
Thanks guys!
Old Jun 29, 2006, 06:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by JT-KGY
so basically it's determined by the power delivery..
Thanks guys!
yes, the type of awd system. Some really are just "tacked on" awd systems that they add to a fwd trans-axle. The stock Volvo S60r is a prime example as Dustin stated they start fwd till slip is detected then send (usually not much) power to the rear and then they have the audacity to put it in the same category as the almighty EVO

These types of systems are quite amusing to look at when you poke your head under the car because they have tiny drive-shafts and diffs in the rear.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chronohunter
yes, the type of awd system. Some really are just "tacked on" awd systems that they add to a fwd trans-axle. The stock Volvo S60r is a prime example as Dustin stated they start fwd till slip is detected then send (usually not much) power to the rear and then they have the audacity to put it in the same category as the almighty EVO

These types of systems are quite amusing to look at when you poke your head under the car because they have tiny drive-shafts and diffs in the rear.
Shhhh, don't **** Volvo off. That is some of your bread and butter. LOL
Old Jun 29, 2006, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Smogrunner
Shhhh, don't **** Volvo off. That is some of your bread and butter. LOL
I think they may have parted ways - Paul??
Old Jun 29, 2006, 08:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by meanmud
I think they may have parted ways - Paul??
Smoggy! where the heck you been? I am still involved with At Speed Motorsports but it's all a bit strange and complicated. Volvo stopped sponsoring the team last summer so we're going it alone this year. Believe me they (Volvo) knew (every step of the way) what a PITA that thing was to turn into a competitive race car, only the acid-dipped and seam welded uni-body remains (and some inconsequential engine parts). Actually good folks at Volvo but a change of CEO ended their involvement.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Paul, in my best Homer voice: "Doh!"

I guess I should be reading, not just looking at the pictures...
Old Jun 29, 2006, 08:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Smogrunner
Paul, in my best Homer voice: "Doh!"

I guess I should be reading, not just looking at the pictures...
Actually I should be the one saying "Doh" It was actually two separate thoughts ( a personal record for me in a single day ). I just hadn't seen you around for a while so I was psyched to hear from you then I answered Troy's question. How's you ride doing?
Old Jun 29, 2006, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Actually I should be the one saying "Doh" It was actually two separate thoughts ( a personal record for me in a single day ). I just hadn't seen you around for a while so I was psyched to hear from you then I answered Troy's question. How's you ride doing?
The modification frenzy has slowed, but:
* All needed bushings are either installed or in my trunk to be installed this week
* Rear endlinks are installed
* Motor mount installed
* External (in-line) 2nd Walbro with install kit is at my home ready to be installed
* Final alignment is needed.
The car is done, everything is in-hand if it isn't already installed (with the exception of upgraded brakes). I'm gonna go get kicked off a couple of drag strips in July and then figure out what direction to go with brakes and getting the car ready for roadcourses and try to learn how to drive this THING.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

By jove I've got it!!

Let's call it the VishJoeArrd (say it kinda fast, it sounds nice) Spec. Ohlins!

Ok, ok, useless bump, but the VishJoeArrd name came off kinda catchy.

The 'JoeArrd' part almost sounds like Gerrard, but swings heavily in the favor of Joe.

0.o

As a relavant question ... could you (in 20sec. or less) point us towards some of the 'better' designed suspensions out there? I'm trying to make a relationship in my mind as to the high points and what to look for when looking at a well build suspension system. I take it (besides the RWD portion of the Volvo) the Volvo has a pretty nice suspension geometry?

~j.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 09:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by jcnel_evo8
I take it (besides the RWD portion of the Volvo) the Volvo has a pretty nice suspension geometry?

~j.
Good Lord NO! it was designed to have a roomy trunk as the priority. Where does that leave the suspension you ask? In a tiny space that guarantees bad geometry. That requires lots of squishy bushings to just get the thing to go up and down! We fixed it by doubling, tripling and quadrupling the length of the arms to get the geometry right then we could add heim joints to get the precision we needed.

Good factory suspensions? easy Ferrari, Porsche, BMW and yes the EVO (of course with the EVO it requires some shock tuning to really expand the ride/handling envelope and put it in such expensive company), with them you get ride & handling, with other you can get only one or the other. Last week I was driving the latest AMGs in Memphis and I was struck by the rough ride of the AMGs and the wallowing of the standard Mercs, like I said, "one or the other" from the other brands.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

What in the world were you doing here in Memphis? Better yet, why were you in a Mercedes? I could have lent you a decent car to drive

Back in topic: When can I get me some Ohlins?
Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:54 AM
Former Sponsor

The new style Ohlins are with Joe right now, but he won't be able to open them until Wed of next week. The anticipation is killing me.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by dsmythe2
What in the world were you doing here in Memphis? Better yet, why were you in a Mercedes? I could have lent you a decent car to drive

Back in topic: When can I get me some Ohlins?
I was doing a DCX program at MMP, stayed at The Peabody and had a good time but it was damn hot!
Old Jun 30, 2006, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

I was doing a DCX program at MMP, stayed at The Peabody and had a good time but it was damn hot!
Who could attend the PDX? Usually, I go to just about any roadcouse event held there...

[edit] nevermind, the track manager said that Diamler Chrysler spent about $500k on this dealer event[/edit]

OK, so you know the track! We use half of that track (the "M's" backwards) for Autox. I had FTD on 6/25 thanks to Andrew, Shiv, and Kuhmo. I need Ohlins in a bad way-setup for MMP/Autox.
HOOK ME UP!

Yes, it is hot. Prez Bush and the JDM Prime Minister were here today visiting Graceland and gnawing on some Rendezvous BBQ.

Last edited by dsmythe2; Jun 30, 2006 at 08:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Vishnu Olins "Gerrard" Spec setup