Shiv Help! MY 280 Cam Flash Stinks!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2006, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by broddey
Lined it up with the white and white

Thanks Shiv i will keep playin with it!

White and white? There is a white or red mark on the teeth of the cam gears this gets lined up with the "slash mark" on the cam caver of the car
Old Feb 27, 2006, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I think he means white mark to the timing notch on intake and exhaust. Surely if he lined the white marks up to one another it woudn't run well if at all. I think that would cause a little "interference".
Old Feb 27, 2006, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 13-0
White and white? There is a white or red mark on the teeth of the cam gears this gets lined up with the "slash mark" on the cam caver of the car
HK is back! Texas won me some money bra. I had faith in ur boys. Back on topic.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

im happy taht hk is back with such fervor.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

But USC is the best they cant be beat. They got smoked by one man. We all down here made money.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

But USC is the best they cant be beat. They got smoked by one man. We all down here made money.
That's what the Cobra boys thought until one man "The Street King" proved them wrong and took all their money. Maybe next year USC will have to invest in a Whipple or KB Blower to turn the tables like the Cobra boys.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 06:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Check your base timing.

A local guy was off on timing, his crank was off BTDC by 11 degrees and the car would fall on its face above 5600 everytime. I mean, really fall on its face and it would also knock really easily.

I was trying to tune it and it would go full rich at 5600 and just die.

We finally figured out his base timing was off, set it back to normal.

Before and after: (and just fixing the timing issue, no tuning)

Just a little bit of difference up top.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the info!!
Old Feb 28, 2006, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I didn't see that he has a IX. I don't know that it would any bearing on anything. I'm assuming you only put a cam gear on the exhaust right?
Old Feb 28, 2006, 06:54 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Go to the stock airbox and re-race your friend with the other Evo. $100 says you will fare much better.

I think your ECU is seeing an event and killing the fun in the midrange of the power band.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 04:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its my car he raced...i just took it to the dealer today to get my 5th gear synro replaced...so its back to stock now....when i took out my mbc it wouldn't boost past 15 and drops to 11/12...no idea y, but im not concerned. i think i got the vac hose's backwards..who knows or cares lol.. and i have a k&n cone filter and adapter and cutout when we raced...my cars no joke lol....when we accelerated i noticed that his car jumped off and was much more responsive than mine and at top rpm's is when i would catch up to him, but once he would shift and i would catch up to him...so something is up with top end... if i had my mbc turned up 21/22 and my 5th gear wasn't grinding so i could shift fast i think i would be dead even or possibly faster....HELP HIM!!!!!! so i can see how beasty it is because i haven't decieded if the cam is the way to go....
Old Feb 28, 2006, 04:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Noize
Go to the stock airbox and re-race your friend with the other Evo. $100 says you will fare much better.

I think your ECU is seeing an event and killing the fun in the midrange of the power band.

is that a bet...lol lets wait til i get my car fixed and i put my parts back in there, i need money for my flash lol
Old Feb 28, 2006, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

how many titles have texas won in the past 5 years? how many times in a row did they get smoked by the sooners, even with vince young there? who's going to be the top draft pick? definitely not someone from texas. what about vince young being clearly stopped from the endzone and still called a td? or the fumble on the last drive when the receiver clearly had control and dropped it after getting slammed by the usc defense. can go on and on...dont act like they are that great.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

To all that have read this thread......I apologize for giving the impression that the VISHNU tune was the problem. It was, as you all suspected, a mistake on my part.

I WAS OFF 3 TEETH ON THE BELT!!!!

Now that the cam is set right on both the intake and exhaust, the car performs beautifully! Thanks again to VISHNU and mainly Shiv for putting up with my constant harassment and pestering phone calls.

Now that I read my thread title, I feel I may have been wrongly condescending towards a great company. My ignorance overwhelms me sometimes, and I just want to say thanks to Shiv and everyone at Vishnu, and I am sorry for wrongly accusing the flash as the problem.

To everybody that is curious about the cam swap.....IT WORKS FANTASTIC! There is soooo much power beyond 5k now and the car just wants to sprint to 8k in every gear. But for those of you doing your own installs, keep in mind that the belt has a tendency to jump teeth without even moving (some kind of magic trick or something), so be sure to check and double check the markings of the cam gears against the valve cover.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

glad that you are happy with your car! There is no way a vishnu tuned 9 can be slow.