Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

IX Turbo vs TME

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2006, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IX Turbo vs TME

So, in my effort to maximize power on the 16G, I'm thinking about one of these two turbos.. I currently have a '03 stock compressor mated to a 10.5 hotside (Stage1+).

I'd imagine the TME has better response and midrange thanks to the TiAl wheel, but how much does the new compressor cover on the IX turbo help? I can't say I've honestly seen someone upgrade from the '05 to the '06 turbo just to see the performance difference. I'd really like to see that if someone has a graph of that available.
Old May 1, 2006, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly I think you're splitting hairs at this point.

The TME will give you maybe 200-300 rpm quicker spool up, but your peak torque and hp numbers will probably be within a few hp of what you have now.

The IX will be more of a pain in the butt to install, you'll lose 200-300 rpm of spool with the bigger housing (since you have no MIVEC) but will probably gain 10-20 hp in the upper rev range based on tuning.

Considering all that, I'd spend my money on Meth Injection as a better hp per dollar alternative. Just my $.02
Old May 2, 2006, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, listen to the Dude, I for one agree with him....probably the performance reward per dollar invested is not real generous with either of these 2 turbo upgrades. I was in the market for a IX TME, as I saw it as a good compromise between the TME´s better spool and the IX´s better topend pull, incorporating as it does, the TME´s lightwight rotating assembly and the IX´s colder blowing compressor housing.

But in the end, I think Ill stick with my stock 2004 turbo with a ported 10.5 hotside and an Ebay O2 hsg. It just seems that any performance benefit that these 3 turbo upgrades might have over the stock turbo would be contingent on the quality of your cars´tune.

Also, it seems that the IX turbo doesnt really separate itself from the VIII 10.5 on pump gas. You have to be running a race gas tune or Meth to note any significant improvement. I guess that means over 25 psi.

Maybe someday I´ll be able to afford a 50 Trim, a 3037 or the Apexi IHI kit, but until then Ill stick with the stock turbo.

For the street, a Meth kit controlled by SMART would seem to provide a better return on the dollar.
Old May 2, 2006, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

I was planning on getting SMART eventually, which brings up another question.. if I'm running alky injection and the tank goes empty at WOT, will SMART be able to compensate in time? (not that this situation should ever happen but YOU NEVER KNOW! hehe)

And yeah, I am probably splitting hairs but I want to get about 20whp more before calling it quits on the power game.
Old May 3, 2006, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Personally I would never run alky on my car. I'll bite the bullet and fill up with VP100 or VP109 if I want that extra power.

Personally I'd look towards a better O2 housing and maybe a ported exhaust manifold for that few extra whp. The TME vs. the IX turbo is a really tough choice ... I'd wait to see more test data.

l8r)
Old May 3, 2006, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I've got a Helix O2 housing, actually.. I have my stock O2 laying around, I'm thinking of porting that and my exhaust mani maybe.

Although all of this seems so little gain for a rather large sum of money. Maybe I will just get a stroker kit and stay on the stock turbo for a nice flat power curve all the way through the RPM band.
Old May 3, 2006, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

A stroker will kill your stock turbo... IMO, at your level of mods, the next step is a Vishnu stage 2.

l8r)
Old May 5, 2006, 08:11 AM
nix
Evolving Member

$0.02¢ more...

The "Best" Turbo Upgrade for Evo 4G63 daily driver???

http://www.zorce.com/zforums/viewtop...7ce98506d1a967

More UK Evo IX turbo info...
The BEST "Street" Turbo based on a stock unit available to date... ???
The Turbo Dynamics/Evo 400 Evolution IX Turbo: -
::: ... 10.5 square cm. 'RS' (& 'TME RS') "Hot-side"
::: ... Bigger Compressor
::: ... "Ported" ... four inch inlet and ported shroud
::: ... Double Ball-bearing conversion
::: ... "Clipped" ... (cut back turbine blades for faster "spool")
::: ... Uprated Actuator

Specifics still unpublished to date, but this is rumoured so far...
EVO400... "450 hp... 550 ft-lb"
I'd hasten slowly for dyno test results and customer feedback first though...
Old May 5, 2006, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Hm, a ball bearing 16G? Does that actually increase power? I thought having a BB was more for durability and better spool, rather than actually increasing flow.

I do know that BB 16G's have been all the rage in Europe for the last couple of years now as the ultimate street turbo, but nobody here has really bothered due to the high cost of such an endeavor.

A Stage2 eh? That's big bucks for me at the moment, plus I don't have a XEDE. Maybe I'll go SMART first..
Old May 5, 2006, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

What do you have for engine management, Z?

l8r)
Old May 5, 2006, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

I'm on the XFlash right now. Picking up SMART should smooth things up a bit give me some better drivability and a tad more oomph in the low-mid range, I think.
Old May 6, 2006, 06:26 AM
nix
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by zstryder
Hm, a ball bearing 16G? Does that actually increase power? I thought having a BB was more for durability and better spool, rather than actually increasing flow.

I do know that BB 16G's have been all the rage in Europe for the last couple of years now as the ultimate street turbo, but nobody here has really bothered due to the high cost of such an endeavor...
I would be interested if that torque figure of 550 lb.-ft. is true. That's better than RalliArt specs for Evo 6 RS450. It all depends on peak RPM and torque curve achieved.

IMHO ported intake + new wheel + higher boost would give extra torque (@ higher RPM.)
BB cartridge would give durability and earlier spool (clipping would help spool too) to compensate for huge porting job on compressor housing.

BTW isn't the US Evo IX turbo identical to the UK/JDM spec? (TD05HRA-16G6C-10.5T)
It costs $999 US. So buying one and shipping to UK (or doing BB conversion in US) might still be cost-effective compared to GT3071R for street use and AutoX. (Depending on dyno-test results.) Comments?

Last edited by nix; May 6, 2006 at 06:37 AM.
Old May 9, 2006, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think you should take those torque #'s with a grain of salt, and wait for some dyno corroboration by users on the Brit forums before plunking down a lot of cash. I dont know how much of a power increase you can see by going from a 3" to a 4" compressor inlet. But, I would guess its only marginal at best. The BB conversion doesnt net you any HP and neither does the surge-ported compressor shroud.

Clipping the turbine blades might net you a couple HP on the topend but wont reduce spoolup time or transient response. I dont think that the 10.5 would spool any faster than the 9.8 hotside. In fact, it should spool slower.

For me, and I have toyed with the idea of a lot of these fast spool options, the ball bearing conversions are overpriced for what you get, especially when you factor in overseas shipping. I dont think that it is worth it for street applications. The standard TME 6.5 turbo(about $800), on the other hand is a relative bargain and should do really well for auto-x and on the street.

You could try throwing a 9 compressor housing at it, and even a 5-bladed WR compressor wheel , however I dont think that's gonna help spoolup either. If you must, then you can pick up a TME 9 for about $1100 and for all intents and purposes you should have(no one has yet to test one, AFAIK) similar real world power delivery potential on pump gas, for a fraction of the cost of the British hybrid unit.

I think that the US and British market version 9 turbos differ in that the British variant uses magnesium/Tial wheels and the USDM ones have an aluminum compressor wheel and Inconel turbine wheel.

Last edited by sparky; May 9, 2006 at 06:10 AM.
Old May 9, 2006, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Im torn between these two turbos. My short term goal is 400hp on 93 and alky. Can this be achieved with these snails?
Old May 9, 2006, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SLVRNBLK
Im torn between these two turbos. My short term goal is 400hp on 93 and alky. Can this be achieved with these snails?
Depends on the dyno, but should be close on a Dynojet.

l8r)

Quick Reply: IX Turbo vs TME