Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Vishnu Ohlins are here!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Not confusing the two.

Go here. Call Greg Hazard. He used to handle the revalving of our R/T Ohlins before we started using the Flag model. If you can get the specs on the shim stacks they can do the work for you. Heck, if you can even just get a shock dyno graph I am sure he can match it.

http://www.motorsportsspares.com/staff.htm

EVOlutionary
Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Appreciate the info , hopefully Vishnu/Chronohunter can work something out with these guys ... (keeping finger crossed)
Old Apr 15, 2007, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
From what I have heard the Ohlins Sportline is the direct replacement for Ohlin R/T. From what I have read, Ohlins DFV is a newer design that is both internally and externally different/improved.
I asked djazzair about the DFVs. According to him, the DFV is the replacement for the R&T and only marginally different. The sportline is a cheaper model of stock-strut replacement dampers.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 08:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by redvolution
I asked djazzair about the DFVs. According to him, the DFV is the replacement for the R&T and only marginally different. The sportline is a cheaper model of stock-strut replacement dampers.
Works sells a Stage II Ohlins coilover package and a more expensive Stage III Ohlins DFV package. Is the Stage II the R&T, the sportline or neither?
Old Apr 16, 2007, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think that is correct. You might want to double check.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=263276
4th post down

http://www.worksevo.com/store/index.php?cPath=26

1st you have the Ohlins Struts for the EVO that is a direct replacement for the stock struts. It's the Stage 1 on the Works site and the 2nd one pictured on the GTWorx post.

2nd you have the Ohlins R/T which has been replaced by the Sportline. Not sure if its known as the PVC? PCV? These coilover are supposedly identical internally as they have the special valving on the compression side. Externally the shocks are also identical. The shock body is not seperately height adjustable, thus height is adjusted at the same time changing spring preload. Diajazzair confirmed that these were pretty much the same shock. This is the Works stage 2 or the Ohlins sportline pictured in the GTWorx thread.

3rd you have the Ohlins DFV. These coilovers are both externally and internally different to the Ohlin R&T. Internally they have the special valving on both the compression and rebound side. Externally the shock body is seperately height adjustable from the spring preload. This is the same as Works stage 3.

4th you have the Ohlins with the external fluid reservouir, I'm not sure on its designation. This is the Works stage 4.

http://www.carrozzeriajapan.co.jp/oh...2006_repo.html
Check them all out here ...

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Apr 16, 2007 at 12:07 PM. Reason: # mistake
Old Apr 16, 2007, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Stage 4/Flag model FTMFW !!!
Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
^ but you're not running them are you??
Old Apr 16, 2007, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not running Works-spec, but I am running custom DA/remote rezzie Ohlins Flag shocks . . .

EVOlutionary
Old Apr 16, 2007, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Is that the same setup as currently on the Love's car?
Old Apr 16, 2007, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Czubaka
Is that the same setup as currently on the Love's car?
*shrug*

I dunno. I don't think the Love's spent any time evaluating different options, but went with a recommended configuration from showcase.

d
Old Apr 16, 2007, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

When the Love's bought the '04 Showcase Mitsu car, it had JIC's on there. I don't know what they have upgraded to since then. . . If they upgraded last year I would say that yes, they probably have the same model. I think the Miller's car ('05 Showcase Mitsu car) is still on the R&T model . . .

EVOlutionary
Old Apr 16, 2007, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
When the Love's bought the '04 Showcase Mitsu car, it had JIC's on there. I don't know what they have upgraded to since then. . . If they upgraded last year I would say that yes, they probably have the same model. I think the Miller's car ('05 Showcase Mitsu car) is still on the R&T model . . .

EVOlutionary
I know they upgraded because the JICs are on my car. :-p They bought a set of custom valved ohlins, but I don't know from where. I guess from Andy or John.

d

EDIT: duh! I'm stupid. The JICs they gave me where in the ohlins packaging from their new setup. Its sitting in my garage right now, I just have to go home and look at the box.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Czubaka
If the PSS9's are easy (and cheap) to revalve, it should (hopefully) be easy to match the vishnu ohlins in damping characteristics. Then just readjust the ride-height and we should be good to go...or it could just be wishful thinking.

If a ginea-pig car is needed, I'll be more than happy to volunteer!
The PSS9's are $125ea to revalve, contact Steve at Bilstein's Poway,CA facility with your intended spring rates.

I doubt they would match Paul's dyno curves, as he put a lot of time into R&D specifically for Evo's. Not to say the revalving of the Bilstein's is bad, but they may have a different philosophy - works for me
Old Apr 30, 2007, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dustin@Vishnu
Unfortunately, we were forced to stop selling the systems. We even had two on order that we were forced to send back, because Ohlins could simply not produce the missing parts. It's a damn shame, but we can't let the rest operation suffer due to Ohlins shortcomings.

What?!?!?!?! NOOOOOOOOOO!!! I've been waiting to get these 'til this summer!

So why just stop selling these so nonchalantly? It seems like you guys put a lot of work into developing this product, so certainly you can adapt what you've learned to another vendor right?

So if there are no more Vishnu Ohlins in the foreseeable future, then what do I get?
Old Apr 30, 2007, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

To put up what I've seen developed over the past few years this is how it came down:

-- Paul put in some Ohlins (not quite sure which) but revalved a bit to his theory on what needed to happen on the EVO for the 2004 One Lap of America. First in class win.
-- The suspension showed great potential, so Paul linked up sometime with the university he was supporting and allowed some of the student / engineering assistants / techs. to basically do some down and dirty analysis on both the EVO chassis and suspension revalves. This included computerized analysis, to shock dyno time all the way to on-track time.
-- Paul would continue this program refining the Road and Track Ohlins with better and more refined damping rates.
-- Vishnu released a package which consisted of all of the parts Paul needed to make a plug and play system. Shocks, bushings, revalve, and settings.
-- Ohlins ran into supply problems and Vishnu had to pull the product and backtrack for those that had already ordered the Ohlins. Read here: OHLINS'S FAULT, not VISHNU'S FAULT.
-- Paul is now involved with a racing school as a professional employee there, and obviously the student team members from the university are graduating / moving onto other projects.

There are two key points here, one that leads to the other, but here's the scoop.

Idea One:
-- Get Ohlins, and the original team to revalve. This is a supply issue. Ohlins doesn't care about ones and twos revalves. They sell commercially and to major race teams. Its sad, but we need somebody like Fox to step back up again and get some dampers "for the little guy."
-- The damping rates, real life testing, and durability have been tested on the Ohlins.

Idea Two:
-- Transfer over the damping rates to a new shock. Here are the drawbacks:
-- Paul is working for somebody else so his time to find another suitable replacement is extremely limited.
-- The team that did the first empirical work is I think gone. Members of that team will have to speak for themselves, but I'm not quite sure if Joe is in contact with Paul any longer for work that Paul would be able to do? Some of this equation is more than just putting in 'damping' elements.
-- Another plug on this idea is getting another shop somehow somewhere to foot the R&D to produce another shock. I think we're popping the idea about this here, and I hope something is becoming of this, but first ... those damping rates and what Paul did and found is certainly proprietary information. That's the real value in that system.

Hopefully something can be worked out.

~j.

Quick Reply: Vishnu Ohlins are here!