Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

P0069 (?!) After SMART Xede Install

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0069 (?!) After SMART Xede Install

I get a P0069 and an MIL when I start the car if I forget to leave the C-reader in the OBDII slot. P0069 is not in the C-reader book error code list and not found in a search on this website. Any ideas???

2005 Evo VIII (duh!) with TBE w/ hi-flo cat, SMART Xede, XedeFlash, Walbro 255...basically a SMART V330 with a SMART V360 map...cam gears going in this week.

EDIT: Did find P0069 on the net: MAP sensor doesn't coincide with barometric sensor. Also forgot to add that I have one of Freedom's boost compensation module, but that deals with temperature input to regulate boost.

Last edited by WhiteEvo05; Aug 25, 2006 at 05:28 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Shamelessly bumping my own thread...

Anyone, anyone, anyone...
Old Aug 27, 2006, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, the smart install shouldn't have anything to do with your MAP/Baro sensor so the only thing i can think of is miswiring. First time I've seen this so I don't have too much advice to give other than check over all your wiring. Maybe Freedom can offer some advice with respect to the wiring of his device.

-shiv
Old Aug 27, 2006, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

I'll check with Freedom...I'll post up any pertinent info.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

After exchanging several e-mails with Freedom and about half a day of basic troubleshooting, it works. No P0069. Freedom is terrific to work with...very knowledgeable and very good communication.

The problem was...? Dunno. It kinda worked itself out. The best that either one of us could figure out was there a bridge between the barometric pressure signal pin and a surrounding pin on the Xede breakout board from soldering the wires for Freedom's module to the board. It was not detected with a continuity test using a VOM. However, after removing the hot-melt that insulted the pins, inspecting again, re-ohming the connections, and replacing with new hot-melt glue, no problem...maybe removing the hot-melt broke a verrry tiny bridge...Dunno.

With my mods and Freedom's Boost Compensation Module I saw peak boost of about 1.7 bar (24psi) tapering to ~1.5 bar (21psi) at ~7200 rpm. I'm happy, so far. I still need to get the cam gears installed and then a custom tune...Dunno from whom, yet.

Boost comes on very quickly...on my short drive yesterday (restricted to short drives until I get my mix & match exhaust system to play nice with my JDM rear bumper) I didn't notice when I was hitting full boost...trying to watch the surroundings, too. It does pull very strongly all the way to redline, AND NO P0300 code yet. Been testing without the C-reader to keep track of any snaffu's that may arise.

Mods (the complete list): ported & coated: exhaust manifold, 10.5 hotside, O2 sensor housing; Vishnu Signature DP & cat; RMR cat back; SMART Xede; Xede Flash; Freedom's BoostComp Module; JDM Evo XIII MR BOV (very soon); Off the shelf V360 93 octane SMART Map; Defi BF Amber Boost Gauge
Old Aug 30, 2006, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WhiteEvo05
..after removing the hot-melt that insulted the pins...
Gotta hate it when the hot-melt insults the pins ...

Good to hear that you got it working.

l8r)
Old Aug 30, 2006, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

This just in...with the module in again, I threw a P0069, again. The troubleshooting goes on...

Freedom is awesome to work with...can't say enough about him.

And that was supposed to be insulated...dern my lack of typing prowess
Old Sep 2, 2006, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

The problem has been resolved...the problem stemmed form how the ECM does a sensor check on the barometric pressure sensor and the MAP sensor, after the engine in shut off.

Freedom should be putting up a detailed outline of the problem, soon...
Old Sep 4, 2006, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

As cited in this thread the '05 Evo in question performs a test of the barometric pressure sensor with respect to the MAP sensor, two seconds after the key is set to the lock position. Notable is that when the key is off, so is the Xede. Given that the module is powered from the same source as the Xede, the module is also off.

When I designed the module eight months ago I assumed, based upon data for the '03, that the ECU wasn't doing anything special after the Xede/module was off. In fact my focus was on power up initialization and making sure everything was clean for engine startup.

Recall that the module taps into a few signals feeding the ECU, at the Xede breakout board, to permit feeding a processed signal to the Xede for the purpose of compensating for boost variations with temperature / barometric pressure, as well as multiple rev limits as a function of vehicle speed. During normal operation the module is designed to present very little load to the sensor signals, thus ensuring that they are not corrupted. But when the module is off and a signal is more than 0.7 volts at the input to the module (e.g. as discussed above when the key is turned off), the module presents a greater load to the sensor's signal.

The net result was that the module in the un-powered condition was loading down the barometric pressure signal, thus causing the ECU to throw the code. There are several possible ways to solve this problem, but the best way is to power the module from the MFI relay's output such that the power to the module remains on when the ECU is on. This was what WhiteEvo05 implemented on his Evo.

Thus instead of powering the module from the Xede's breakout board, he moved the module's power input to ECU pin 12 or 25 which is the power output of the MFI relay.