Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Why no Intake????

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2003, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why no Intake????

I would really like to know why you do not use a intake on your cars. I know that you have a good reason, and I would love to know why????
Old Sep 8, 2003, 08:12 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Leaning out of the A:F when the Xede maps are calibrated to the stock airbox, weird MAF readings, elevated intake temperatures, you name it. If you put a WAI/CAI element on a default Xede map, you run the risk of damaging your motor, because you've taken the intended perfect tuning of the map and thown it completely off with the change in airflow and air temp.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

OK, well then why isnt there a MAP for a car that does have an intake. I would just think that for $80 and the proper tuning by Vishnu you might be able to pull out an extra 5-10hp. Like I said I am just wondering why Vishnu is the only company that doesnt use an intake, and you explanation does make sence.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Because the factory airbox isn't restrictive. At least within the airflow limits of the factory turbocharger. So, no, installing an intake will not help matters when it comes to making power. Also, the factory airbox is cold air ducted so there is no advantage of replacing it with an aftermarket item.

my 2c,
Shiv
Old Sep 9, 2003, 12:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ahh....the same thing you have said about the WRX as well....

How come all dyno sheets show intakes making power...more over with out your overly technical responses...why is it if you put an intake on the car you FEEL power..

Come on Shiv....just tune it with the intakes and make the power that is there.

I guess the Japanese dont know what they are doing IMO.
Old Sep 9, 2003, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by VividRacing.com

I don't like what you just said.
Old Sep 9, 2003, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

How come all dyno sheets show intakes making power...more over with out your overly technical responses...why is it if you put an intake on the car you FEEL power..

On my dyno, removing the air intake filter altogether has little or no effect on modified EVOs (running stock turbos). Even after tuning. We've also tried K&Ns and Ralliarts, the latter which required substantial tuning to offset the MAF misreadings they induced. Personally, I prefer to tune MAF signal (for fuel control) with an computer and not through an intake.

But YMMV,

Shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Sep 9, 2003 at 02:07 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2003, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by TRDHarrier

I don't like what you just said.
I think he was being sarcastic. The Japanese DO use intakes so he was stating the obvious. They DO get results and they DO know a lot about tuning.

Don't be so quick to pull the racism card for ****'s sake. We all share the same passion.
Old Sep 9, 2003, 09:34 PM
EvoM Administrator

Overly technical? Sounds like envy to me. Don't you have your own vendor forum to use? Why are you trolling this one?

If your company wants to sell intakes, feel free. Since you're using the WRX as an example, please note the reality that there are happy Vishnu, TurboXS, and Cobb customers who are using the Xede, ECUtek, UTEC, or Unichips which were pre-mapped to utilize the factory airbox. These cars are running fast and safe! I've seen/watched WRXes lean out and run quite elevated EGTs from intakes. TXS actually warns people to pull their aftermarket intakes (especially the Blitz SUS you sell) on their Stage IV vf30 cars if running a default map. I've also seen logs of air intake temps on aftermarket WAI units that are **60-70 degrees higher** than the stock box on the same day on the dragstrip! Guess which car was faster?

Do you qualify all your customers? There are unwise kids out there that have blown up their motors because they don't know what they are doing. They see a dyno sheet of an Injen intake on your website and assume it will make the same power in their car. They order these parts up that might cause a lean condition and det because they have a cheap used Unichip already and are just trying to buy supplemental parts to make their car faster. Do you really think everyone is wise enough to dyno tune their mods to their particular car? Do you think there are local AWD dynos available to every Evo/WRX enthusiast?

Since Vishnu is an all-in-one shop that designs the complete gamut of parts for the cars we love and dyno them in house, I feel confident Shiv and company know exactly what they're doing. Especially since they qualify their products through *very intense* dyno and road testing. You can't say that about every general market intake, cat-back, and DP which are mass produced by several companies for hundreds of different cars.

Vivid is more of a complete retail outfit for a lot of other company's parts. I'm sure your profit margin on these intakes is relatively high for a small ticket-quick turning item, so you see threads like this and start throwing stones.

I trust WAI element whp numbers on a stationary dyno not_at_all. Open hood testing with a fan blowing directly on the element looks pretty on paper. Go out to the real world where the rubber meets the road on a dragstrip and watch your intake FI car pull a slower time in the heat. I've witnessed this several times. The WAI is baking under the hood while the stock cool air box is getting cooler-better quality air to make power with in real world conditions.

As far as "feeling the power", give me a break, man! The butt dyno in these things is very prone to lying. The real thing you're "feeling", is elation from the new ricey BOV noises emanating under the hood that make you think the car is actually faster. The dyno numbers looks great when the hood is popped, but take the intake to the dragstrip or roadcourse where it sees repetitive intense underhood heat and watch your stopwatch times go up.

You're post was very petty, IMO. I really like Vishnu's business integrity and committment to a higher standard of products. Shiv's cars have stood up to Car & Driver tests and many a local dragstrip. Vishnu makes modifications for cars that safely and measurably increase performance. Because of that, they'll get my hard earned money before Vivid racing ever will.

PS: I've seen CAIs make great power on NA cars, like the RSX-S. I've seen it proven on the dyno with the hood closed, but more importantly to me, at the track with back to back runs that show tangible results and good mph increases.
Old Sep 9, 2003, 09:50 PM

so does this mean that intakes are no good for the evo.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

After that novel that Noize just wrote, I would have to say... I guess so.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 06:26 AM
NRG
Evolving Member

Just sharing my 2 cents. Through my experience with modding cars. I have came to a conclusion of any after market intakes will make your car lose power unless you have a piggyback computer to adjust your air/fuel mixture ratio. On my EVO, I have the reflashed ECU, 3" catback, and a RMR open air filter. Let me tell you, the day I put that filter on, is the day I lost alot of power. The power lost is so great that I even feel it on my butt dyno. So after about 1 month of testing it to see if it will get better, it didn't. So I decided to pop the stock airbox back in. Man, can I tell the difference. My car pulls much harder and faster to redline than with the open air filter. So thats my conclusion.

NOTE: my previous car, I put a Cold Air Intake on and also felt a lost in power vs the stock form. So like I said, unless you have piggyback computer, don't use aftermarket filters.....
Old Sep 10, 2003, 06:30 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally posted by MrMeaner
After that novel that Noize just wrote, I would have to say... I guess so.
Please don't take it as Gospel. My post above sums up why I'm not putting an intake on my Evo, but there are always exceptions and variations. IMO, if you are using fuel management that is mapped for the stock airbox, you should use the stock airbox. FWIW, I feel the same way about BOVs that vent to the atmosphere.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

I have noticed that the ones that dont use or recommend the airfilter are the ones that use a reflash. Am i correct.....and the ones that use the filter to help increase hp use the piggyback (apexi VAFC)
Old Sep 10, 2003, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Quick Reply: Why no Intake????