Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Fuel Pump Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2003, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeppers... with modern emissions contraints, it's important to keep that fuel cold as possible.

shiv
Old Jan 24, 2004, 08:05 PM
In Timeout

I got my pump on Friday, thanks for the great service again!
Old Jan 25, 2004, 08:13 AM
MP5
In Timeout

Originally posted by Ryanmcd3
I got my pump on Friday, thanks for the great service again!
Let me know how it goes! Sorry I missed your calls bro Ill call you today
Old Jan 25, 2004, 01:48 PM
In Timeout

Sounds good man. I will try you again about to goto the movies.

Originally posted by MP5

Let me know how it goes! Sorry I missed your calls bro Ill call you today
Old Feb 8, 2004, 12:06 PM
EvoM Guru

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...that+fuel+pump

BTW I just saw the April issue of turbo magazine which had a fuel pump comparison test, it included a couple of slightly different versions of the Walboro and a stock EVO 8 pump. Very favorable results for the Walboro, and a possible explination for the issues we are seeing at higher boost/fuel pressure levels with the stock pump.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A mechanic at RRE suggested that the 255Walbro could make our evo run more rich and would have to be compesated for in tuning. They weren't so sure we even needed it. Please chime in with your comments on this. I bought one from them anyway but am not going to install it until I figure out if I can put a little "brown bread" soundproofing material around it to minimize its sound. I know it isn't loud, but I don't want to hear it at all if not necessary.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Smogrunner
A mechanic at RRE suggested that the 255Walbro could make our evo run more rich and would have to be compesated for in tuning. They weren't so sure we even needed it. Please chime in with your comments on this. I bought one from them anyway but am not going to install it until I figure out if I can put a little "brown bread" soundproofing material around it to minimize its sound. I know it isn't loud, but I don't want to hear it at all if not necessary.
The only reason you might need tuning for a fuel pump is because the injector does not get filled with fuel. With a high flow pump the injectors have constent pressure on like the stock pump that can's support the injector one time at higher horse power levels.

I have used the walbros before and They work well and even support over 400hp. But to me reliablty and nosie is always in the back of my mind. The PE Pump is rated at 210 were the walbro is 255. 210lp is enough for my needs at the moment and just because it's made by Denso makes it more appeling to me.

The 93-96 RX7 pump is a bolt in and is rated at 210 I I think it's the same one sold buy PE relabiled. I will confirm and report back.

Eric
Old Feb 13, 2004, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

From what I understand, Walbro pumps are noisy because they use metal gears instead of plastic.

I've had a Walbro 255 in my car for the past 5 years without even a hint of a problem.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ShapeGSX
From what I understand, Walbro pumps are noisy because they use metal gears instead of plastic.

I've had a Walbro 255 in my car for the past 5 years without even a hint of a problem.
I have never had one fail either.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Eric Lyublinsky

The only reason you might need tuning for a fuel pump is because the injector does not get filled with fuel. With a high flow pump the injectors have constent pressure on like the stock pump that can's support the injector one time at higher horse power levels.

Eric
Dumb question probably, but might the Walbro 255 fill the injectors and put more pressure on them to spray more fuel than stock, making the A/F more rich???
Old Feb 13, 2004, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Smogrunner

Dumb question probably, but might the Walbro 255 fill the injectors and put more pressure on them to spray more fuel than stock, making the A/F more rich???
No the injector has a piston that is controled by a sliynoed (spelling) so it can only take as much fuel as the cyl can get filled up. But it's a mood point because if the injector is open like 80% and is only getting enough to fill about 60% then it's starven for fuel and that's why you need to up grade the pump.

Eric
Old Feb 14, 2004, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Okie dokie, my wife and I are going to install my fuel pump now. I'll let y'all know how it goes. Timers ready? Set. Go!It is 8:25pm.
Old Feb 14, 2004, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, **** is going wrong. It is one hour later and the stock fuel pump has a little baggy filter on the bottom of it and my walbro doesn't. The directions I am using talk about a "kit." I just have the pump. I'm trying to figure out if the OEM filter baggy will fit on the walbro but if not I don't want to break my stock one trying. ****.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

The stock filter sock will not fit the walbro. You need the walbro kit for your car.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 06:40 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ShapeGSX
The stock filter sock will not fit the walbro. You need the walbro kit for your car.
Not true. It's a direct fit.

The only problem I see with with the rubber spacer that goes on the bottom of the pump. The stock and walbro kit uses different size. It's like a rubber cap but it keep the pump from sliding down with might disconnect the feed hose out if it's not there.

For some reason my kit came with an oversized filter and no rubber gormett. I've called and they send me the correct small filter with the rubber gromett piece for the plastic casing. Now i'm just debating if i sould use those correct parts.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Upgrade