Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Vishnu goes to the drag strip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2003, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ShapeGSX

Yeah, just think of what you could have done if you tuned your car in between passes at the drag strip with a datalogger that logged knock sum?

I forgot that you can't do that, though.
I came to Sac to "race", not tune. I have a dyno for that.

Shiv
Old Dec 28, 2003, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your loss!
Old Dec 28, 2003, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Your loss!
Apparantly not!

shiv
Old Dec 28, 2003, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Like I said, you could have gone faster had you datalogged and tuned on the fly.

You made just 2 passes and called it a waste of a day. Do you agree that it would have been less of a waste if you tuned the car on the fly, and made a few more passes? That way you wouldn't have to go back and "waste" another day just to run a better time than Al. Instead I'm sure you will waste a hundred more dyno runs tuning the car before heading back. But we all waste the most time doing what we enjoy most.

I just like making the most of my track time because I only get to go about once a month.

Maybe one of you Evo guys will make enough power to make it worth shifting into 5th. I gotta admit, that gearing sucks for drag racing with a larger turbo. It is perfect for the stock turbo, though.

Last edited by ShapeGSX; Dec 28, 2003 at 10:23 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2003, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Like I said, you could have gone faster had you datalogged and tuned on the fly.

You made just 2 passes and called it a waste of a day. Do you agree that it would have been less of a waste if you tuned the car on the fly, and made a few more passes? That way you wouldn't have to go back and "waste" another day just to run a better time than Al. Instead I'm sure you will waste a hundred more dyno runs tuning the car before heading back. But we all waste the most time doing what we enjoy most.

Maybe one of you Evo guys will make enough power to make it worth shifting into 5th. I gotta admit, that gearing sucks for drag racing with a larger turbo. It is perfect for the stock turbo, though.
At this hp level, with a totally stock motor, I'm not going to screw around with typical shadetree look-at-my-data-log-after-the-run tuning. When I tune this car, I want all my sensors hooked up (wideband, boost logs, knock microphones, etc,.) with the testing done in a controlled environment. This allows me to make the right decision for what the next step will be. This no longer is a trial and error game when your trying to dance around inherent strength limitations with the factory internals. That works up to a point. After that, the risks involves a bit too great. This approach has worked quite well in the past. Both in terms of performance and resistance to DSM-like grenading

Just my 2c,
Shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Dec 28, 2003 at 10:58 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2003, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Who says you can't have knock data, boost datalogs, and a wideband in the car at all times? Lots of DSM owners do. I actually have an in-car wideband setup I've been meaning to put together for a while, but I just never got around to it. But I do have boost and knock datalogs. Very handy.

Hell, a friend of mine datalogs everything whenever he drives anywhere. He datalogs boost at several locations, knock, wideband O2, fuel pressure, and everything else that DSMLink lets you datalog. He has an in-car PC with a 15" screen on his dash.
Old Dec 28, 2003, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Who says you can't have knock data, boost datalogs, and a wideband in the car at all times? Lots of DSM owners do. I actually have an in-car wideband setup I've been meaning to put together for a while, but I just never got around to it. But I do have boost and knock datalogs. Very handy.

Hell, a friend of mine datalogs everything whenever he drives anywhere. He datalogs boost at several locations, knock, wideband O2, fuel pressure, and everything else that DSMLink lets you datalog. He has an in-car PC with a 15" screen on his dash.
Josh, that's great but the point I'm trying to make is that when I drive, I like to *Drive*. Like most of my customers, I don't like to think about tuning, heatsoak, alitude changes, etc,. It's hard sometimes but I do try my best to keep it out of my mind. It's the only thing that keeps me sane.

And if I did my homework right (at my shop, on the dyno, in controlled conditions), I shouldn't have to. Tuning on the strip is great when the driver can provide reasonably consistent performance on which one can base informed decisions upon. And this stage, this does not apply to me.

Shiv
Old Dec 28, 2003, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

I can see the headlines now....

DSM runs stoplight, careens into schoolbus full of nuns

"Officer I was just logging my boost and I saw some knock detected and..............BOOM!"

cmon.... Roads are for driving, Dynos/Tracks are for tuning

Shiv's car is making really good power for stock longblock, just admit it
Old Dec 28, 2003, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by shiv@vishnu

Unimpressive given your level of mods. Should be making enough power to trap in the 130s with that built motor. Even without NOS.

Shiv
If you think you havce a fast car - why not stop the corruption with your buddies at SCC magazine - - let me into the so called "Evo tuner shootout" and we can go head to head on the same tracks - drag racing - road tuning - etc etc etc and see who the real fastest evo is

As for who is the fastest right now - i am still the fastest with and without NOS - so do all the talking you want - but your still like 3rd or 4th place

1st place is still 1st place - 11.505 - thats the quickest time - do the math

Ultimate racing went 124 mph and i went 124 so your not the fastest either

Very soon - when and if I need to you all will be seeing the potential of the built motor and why we like to lay a solid foundation when we build a fast car
Old Dec 28, 2003, 12:43 PM
In Timeout

So Al's not allowed into the shootout? Is Buschur or AMS going to be there?
Old Dec 28, 2003, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
If you think you havce a fast car - why not stop the corruption with your buddies at SCC magazine - - let me into the so called "Evo tuner shootout" and we can go head to head on the same tracks - drag racing - road tuning - etc etc etc and see who the real fastest evo is

As for who is the fastest right now - i am still the fastest with and without NOS - so do all the talking you want - but your still like 3rd or 4th place

1st place is still 1st place - 11.505 - thats the quickest time - do the math

Ultimate racing went 124 mph and i went 124 so your not the fastest either

Very soon - when and if I need to you all will be seeing the potential of the built motor and why we like to lay a solid foundation when we build a fast car
Al, I was invited to the EVO shootout just like everyone else. Including Buschur, Road Race, Toda, XS, and whoever else was invited. If you want in, give 'em a call and talk to them. I don't know why you are looking to me to get in The number to call (Josh J. the feature editor) is in the magazine. I'd love to see you there. And you won't be the only one who is going to have a built motor

Cheers,
shiv

"2 bottles of NOS, Built block, Stage 5 heads, years of drag racing experience, loads of smacktalk, pages of technical misinformation, countless lies, and all I have to show for it is this damn T-Shirt"-- You know who

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Dec 28, 2003 at 01:08 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2003, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

That is why it datalogs. No time to look at gauges when you are driving, other than a cursory glance. So the computer records the data for looking at after you are done driving.

I agree, Shiv's car is making good power. It just has more in it.

Shiv, incidentally, I'm surprised you allowed your cat to clog up with lead, you gross polluter, you.
Old Dec 28, 2003, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Shiv? how would you like them "Salty Dawgs"? with mustard and rellish?

T
Old Dec 28, 2003, 02:10 PM

Origami posted by Alfriedesq
I think a shootout between tuner EVOs would be even more interesting if each tuner were to drive their own car for each venue, be it drags, road course, 700 ft. slalom, and braking.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old Dec 28, 2003, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Wingless Wonder
I think a shootout between tuner EVOs would be even more interesting if each tuner were to drive their own car for each venue, be it drags, road course, 700 ft. slalom, and braking.
So you want to see RMR smoke everyone?

Quick Reply: Vishnu goes to the drag strip