Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Altered Atmosphere Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2004, 10:44 AM
jfh
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Ryanmcd3
That power kinda sucks, the stage 1 was putting down like 310-320.
Don't be fooled by the measurements from different dynos even if they are both DynoJets.

Stage 1 w/o cam gears and earlier version of Xede (no boost control) put down 265-275 on the Altered Atmospheres dyno. 310-320HP numbers were measured on the BM tranny dyno. I was at both events, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, from 276HP on the Altered Atmosphere DynoJet to 315HP on the BM Tranny DynoJet is too much of an increase in power from just the addition of the cam gears. The two DynoJets are reading significantly different. Cannot compare the results against one another.

As far as your analogy about comparing power with the Z06 from three 50 -120MPH runs, it sheds no light on true HP numbers. Too many variables. Your EVO could be a freak, that particular Z06 could be a dog, possibly different octanes, different drivers, etc...

I am sure there will be more information forthcoming.

Last edited by jfh; Feb 1, 2004 at 12:08 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
IMHO the best way is to compare a base line of the car before and after what ever tuning you are doing - look at the trq curve see how smooth it is - where to a/f is at - how much boost is being run - what the mods are - etc etc etc.
I did have same-dyno comparison -- eight months apart unfortunately -- but from stock to my "hybrid" Stage 1+ (hybrid because I used Buschur's 3" exhaust rather than Vishnu's), I gained 97 peak HP, 60 peak ft-lbs of torque, got much smoother HP and torque curves, got rock steady A/F ratio (low to mid 12's) from about 4000 RPM to redline, the XFlash improved my idle dramatically and raised my RPM limiter, and overall drivability (like around town, stop-and-go traffic) is better than stock. I have no complaints at all.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 11:00 AM

My car was first up on Saturday mourning...uhh I mean morning. I pulled only 296.8hp and 286 tq. I did not have a boost gauge installed (word to the wise if you dont have one get one). Shiv hooked up a boost gauge and found that my problem was that I am only running at 17psi! Discouraging to say the least. I am taking my car back to the shop that istalled everything on Monday and have them double check every thing again. The best part of the day was meeting a great bunch of people and comparing notes. The worst part was a 12 hour round trip to find out that I have a boost issue. Needless to say I am ordering a Defi bf and istalling it next week. Thanks to Puckadog, KK, Meanmud and the rest for helping pull off a great day!
Old Feb 1, 2004, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

on my final run, torque went up to 317.4 and hp went down from 323 to 319.5 on 93 octane. the torque incease is the most notable and makes roll-ons a blast! i have a feeling there is more hp in there with this setup (should be anyway!)
stay tuned.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Not to high jack this thread but I think I seen puckdogs evo before. Im in silver spring not to far away, does yours have the tinted windows? And by the way those are some great numbers,. I will going to altered soon for my tunup , how did you guys like it where.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\leo bassett\Desktop[/IMG]
my sheet
Old Feb 1, 2004, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

lemmie try this... if you can't read it it's 319.5 hp on the blue plot, 323.7 on the red... that's on old 93 oct
Attached Thumbnails Altered Atmosphere Feedback?-aadynosheet-custom-.jpg  

Last edited by puckadog; Feb 1, 2004 at 02:43 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Hey jfh, did that yellow evo get onto the dyno?
Old Feb 1, 2004, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Hi guys,

Just got back home this morning to the warmth of CA

Regarding the dyno results, Mike at AA confirmed that their AWD dynojet (one of the first, if not the first, AWD dynojet in the US) reads considerably lower than the dynos at Pruven and BMTranny/Turbotrix, both of which have had regular Stage 1s (stock cams) putting down 310-320whp. Even the dungeon dynojet at Turbochargers.com in Houston saw over 310whp with all the Stage 1s. Not to mention lowly Stage Zero EVOs putting down 280-290whp at all those places.

This different results at AA came as a surprise to me since I was under the impression that all Dynojets read within a spitting distance of each other. After all, all they are doing is measuring how hard you can spin big heavy rollers. I don't know where this 30-35whp differential comes from between the AA dyno and the others.

Oh well, at least our DD Dyno isn't the only heartbreaker out there

Cheers,
shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Feb 1, 2004 at 04:55 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by jbrennen

I edited the post with the graph to include more info. Yes, there was a cat in place. How much HP is a test pipe worth? I've heard around 10-20 HP?
We dyno'd Mark's car at the end of the day with a test pipe and a ~100 oct race gas mixture. Within a few runs, it was putting down a dead nuts consistent 335-336whp. While the turbo was certainly reaching its limits, they may have been a few more hp in there due to time limitations we ran into at the end. That said, a test pipe can easily be worth 10-25whp depending on how much turbo flow capacity you have in reserve. In fact, I think the first run, on the baseline map, was over 310whp. I'm looking forward to going back to Pruven or BM with some Stage 1+s. For bigger numbers, mainly

Cheers,
shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Feb 1, 2004 at 01:13 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 01:38 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Originally posted by shiv@vishnu

We dyno'd Mark's car at the end of the day with a test pipe and a ~100 oct race gas mixture. Within a few runs, it was putting down a dead nuts consistent 335-336whp. While the turbo was certainly reaching its limits, they may have been a few more hp in there due to time limitations we ran into at the end. That said, a test pipe can easily be worth 10-25whp depending on how much turbo flow capacity you have in reserve. In fact, I think the first run, on the baseline map, was over 310whp. I'm looking forward to going back to Pruven or BM with some Stage 1+s. For bigger numbers, mainly

Cheers,
shiv
Based on your DD posting 300HP on a 100 octane Stage1 + car running a cat, I expected to see at least 350HP (Dynojet) from Mark's car with the addition of the 272/272 cams and the test pipe.

The dyno conversion factors seem to loose their accuracy as the performance increases. 17% used to work on the Stage 1 cars between your DD results and those posted by AA's dynojet. Now we are down to a factor of 10-11%.

Last edited by jfh; Feb 1, 2004 at 02:03 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by jfh

How much of the increase do you believe was attributable to the testpipe and how much from the 272/272 cams? The rest of us were running 264/272 cams.
I think most if not all of it was due to the test pipe. The little cam testing I have done at the shop suggest that 264/272 performs on par with the 272/272 combo in stock turbo/stock motor applications. Where the 272/272 combo begins to really pay off is in big turbo/built motor applications running high boost/high revs. In such cases, you dont bump into the the rev and turbo flow limitations you would with a more stock set-up.

Shiv

PS. We also updated Mark with the new firmware (with idle smoothening and launch control). Looks like the maps running on the standard firmware can easily be converted to new firmware applications. This was confirmed on Mark's car. Perhaps Mark can comment on the idle quality with the big nasty cam set up and the new firmware.

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Feb 1, 2004 at 01:55 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by shiv@vishnu
We dyno'd Mark's car at the end of the day with a test pipe and a ~100 oct race gas mixture. Within a few runs, it was putting down a dead nuts consistent 335-336whp.
Sounds like Mark and I had some of the highest HP dyno runs of the day, and we also each installed our Walbro fuel pump in the parking lot before rolling on the dyno...

Hmm, maybe everybody else had "tired" fuel pumps...
Old Feb 1, 2004, 04:10 PM
In Timeout

So shiv do you have a good stage 1+ 93 map now?
Old Feb 1, 2004, 04:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
This is why its ridicuolus to compare results from one dyno to the other. They all read differently and the turbo trix dyno reads quiet high.
As shiv said, every dynojet in the country with the exception of AA reads the same with his stage 1 mod. Shiv we look foward to you coming up in the spring. Al ....its amazing Pruvens 1g made the same hp on our magical dyno ...

Mark
Turbotrix Racing