Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Nj Dyno Day Graphs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2004, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by shiv@vishnu
Honestly, I don't remember if The Unknown Car Guy was running a cat or not. Anyone remember? He was one of the last of the 20 cars I tuned that weekend so my memory was fading

The only differences I am sure about was the upgraded IC, IC pipes, tubular manifold and XEDE/XEDEflash combo (Henry had the XFlash). Both ran on pump gas.

Perhaps those with a better memory could jump in...

Shiv
What primarily do you attribute the difference to?

Last edited by Secret Chimp; Apr 1, 2004 at 04:29 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 954DRGSR

What primarily do you attribute the difference to?
Assuming they were both running test pipes, I think the biggest contributor to the difference in output was the tubular manifold and the XEDE. I dyno tuned another EVO with a tubular manifold this past weekend during the Portland dyno day and it behaved the same in the way that I didn't have to be so conservative with ignition timing and fueling. A good upgraded turbo manifold does wonders when it comes to exhaust backpressure reduction. Not only does this help top end power, it also makes the car far less knock prone which, in itself, means that I can tune more aggressively without fear of knock. This, contrary to a post made in another forum, is the same reason that external wastegates provide power gains over internal wastegates, all other things equal. They greatly reduce the amount of exhaust turbulance in the turbine scroll which means better turbine efficiency.

The XEDE also offers a power advantage over a reflash due to its ability to tune in 1/10th of a degree increments instead of 1 degree increments. For a car that only runs single digit amounts of advance under boost most of the time, being able to sneak a bit more advance in there helps power significantly. It also means that I don't have to detune the snot out of it when bumping against the knock threshold.

"Upgraded" IC pipes, from what I've seen from tests at our shop, don't offer much, if any, repeatable gains during controlled testing. Neither does upgraded injectors just as long as the stockers can still provide enough fuel.

Regards,
Shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Mar 31, 2004 at 11:54 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Honestly, I don't remember if The Unknown Car Guy was running a cat or not. Anyone remember? He was one of the last of the 20 cars I tuned that weekend so my memory was fading

The only differences I am sure about was the upgraded IC, IC pipes, tubular manifold and XEDE/XEDEflash combo (The Unknown Car Guy had the XFlash). Both ran on pump gas.

Perhaps those with a better memory could jump in...

Shiv
No cat I think. 272/264 I think gears -2. Very nice guy!

Joe's car was catless, DNP mainfold, 272/273 660cc inj. IC Buschur with hard pipe kit and 1g bov.

Last edited by Secret Chimp; Apr 1, 2004 at 04:30 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

The XEDE also offers a power advantage over a reflash due to its ability to tune in 1/10th of a degree increments instead of 1 degree increments. For a car that only runs single digit amounts of advance under boost most of the time, being able to sneak a bit more advance in there helps power significantly. It also means that I don't have to detune the snot out of it when bumping against the knock threshold.

Regards,
Shiv
Yep instead of taking a whole degree away you can take 10ths at a time until it stops knocking. That's why Xede can make more power then the any reflashing serivce offered today for the EVO.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Eric Lyublinsky

No cat I think. 272/264 I think gears -2. Very nice guy!

Joe's car was catless, DNP mainfold, 272/273 660cc inj. IC Buschur with hard pipe kit and 1g bov.
Eric is correct a mod list of both cars were posted in the thread titled 'NJ Dyno Day' I think.

Shiv, sent you a pm
Old Mar 31, 2004, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by weightless

Eric is correct a mod list of both cars were posted in the thread titled 'NJ Dyno Day' I think.

Shiv, sent you a pm
Ya I almost positive. Eric
Old Mar 31, 2004, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 954DRGSR
Whats a Meredith?
She cute?
Old Apr 1, 2004, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

I had to make a few changes to the posts in this thread guys.

All facts remain the same. But the names of the innocent have been altered to protect their identities.

SC~
Old Apr 1, 2004, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

hehe thanks SC....for those wondering what happened I asked SC to remove my last name from the thread since I know mitsu tracks these forums and I don't want my full name and list of mods out there, SC took it one step further tho LOL
Old Apr 1, 2004, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Arghh... he beat me to it. Shiv asked me to do the same thing. Sorry for being late Henry

brian
Old Apr 1, 2004, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

hey no problem bro
Old Apr 2, 2004, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

F my warranty, my name's Joe and I'm a torque-a-holic.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Well my name's Henry and I'm a torque-a-holic too but not ready to kiss my whole warranty goodbye yet. Only got about 5.5k miles on the odometer. Already used the warranty 3 times and the problems had nothing to do w/ any modifications to the car, YMMV.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

FWIW, here's the dyno sheet of Kip's Stage 1 STi (Turbo-back and XEDE):
Attached Thumbnails Nj Dyno Day Graphs-kipbedell001.jpg  
Old Apr 4, 2004, 10:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Nice thread, for the guys running 272/272 cams and/or Shiv, what cam timming if any are you using?

It looks like it was pretty cool day, if you turn on the SAE correction how badly does it ding these numbers?

That STI low end torque is really nice, for driving around town I'll bet it feel great. It's like the entire TQ/HP curve is just shifted down about 600-800 RPM compared to the EVO. I guess a smaller turbo on the EVO would have a similiar effect, but would you want too?