Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Disconnected battery. Now won't idle.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2004, 04:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dyno4mance
Check your cam timing...it is possible that you have jumped a tooth or two on your belt... we have seen a vehicle run correctly for a time and then jump teeth if the tensioner is not adjusted correctly... the adjustment is very specific on the Evo tensioner...
The oil pump also needs timing when installing a new cam belt...check that they did this when installing the belt....this procedure requires the exhaust downpipe to be removed to access a plug in the front of the motor...a right PITA
When a CEL is thrown it is always a good idea to read the code and not just reset it as they are not always the codes we assume they are
My 2c
Andrew
Dyno4mance

FYI, if the oil pump was timed wrong ..the motor would vibrate at 3-4 rpms .. As he said it ran find until he disconnected the battery ..

Mark
Turbotrix
Old Jun 29, 2004, 04:53 PM

you should see if you jumped a tooth or 2..

do you have adjustable cam gears??? some time this move after working on that side of the motor??
Old Jun 29, 2004, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TurbotrixRacing
We are not new to timing motors. .. The tensioner pulley is not losened . I used a rod to push in the tensioner.. Thank you for the schooling on how to time a motor but i think i got it covered ..

Mark
turbotrix racing
If you replaced the belt you would of had to re- tension the new one as no two belts are exactly the same length....I am not trying to "re school" anyone..just trying to help..
Old Jun 29, 2004, 04:56 PM

If you replaced the belt you would of had to re- tension the new one as no two belts are exactly the same length....I am not trying to "re school" anyone..just trying to help..

you would find that out as soon as you stared the motor not after you drive home...
Old Jun 29, 2004, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

No....we have had an evo in our shop with exctly this problem it was driven for a period and then jumped teeth....
Oh well I guess we will know the outcome of this mystery soon enough...
I am not wanting to war with anyone

Last edited by Dyno4mance; Jun 29, 2004 at 05:06 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 05:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DFWSILVER

you would find that out as soon as you stared the motor not after you drive home...

The belt has 14k on it .. Do you think it stretched ????? Mitsubishi gives your a tollerance for the tensioner .. You rotate the motor then let the belt sit ..for a period of time then measure the tensioner. You dont measure the belts .. you measure the amount of rod sticking out of the tensioner .. School is open

Mark
Turbotrix
Old Jun 29, 2004, 05:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dyno4mance
No....we have had an evo in our shop with exctly this problem it was driven for a period and then jumped teeth....

This was because it was timed wrong ...

Mark
Turbotrix
Old Jun 29, 2004, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Ok
Old Jun 29, 2004, 05:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let the flame fest begin.

I think Andrew was just trying to help the guy and you take it to heart like he was questioning your timing skills. I guess Turbotrick is immune to making any mistakes like the rest of us mere mortals.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 05:26 PM

and you pulled off the head to check real TDC
Old Jun 29, 2004, 05:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DFWSILVER
and you pulled off the head to check real TDC

HUH ????
Old Jun 29, 2004, 05:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sr20det91
Let the flame fest begin.

I think Andrew was just trying to help the guy and you take it to heart like he was questioning your timing skills. I guess Turbotrick is immune to making any mistakes like the rest of us mere mortals.
Not at all ... but if re-read the thread..he was quick to post up that it could of been timed wrong. All the guy did was disconnect his battery .. and now its idling at 500 rpm's ..I could see andrew posting that if someone from ABC Auto did it. We've prob done about 300 + timing belts on evo's .. and into the thousands on 1g / 2g.. I really dont need to be reminded on how to time a motor. The timing is not a prob on the guys car... And if it did jump a tooth it wouldn't have the characteristics of what he is decribing..

Mark
Turbotrix
Old Jun 29, 2004, 05:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DEL TURBO
I had a new PE timing belt installed at Turbotrix. The car was running fine. It was about a 2 hour drive home in heavy traffic. At some point, it popped a CEL. When I got home, I removed the belt cover to check it out. I also unhooked the negative battery cable to see if it would clear the CEL. The CEL went away, but the idle is now dropping to 500 or lower when I let off the gas. The car keeps stalling. The car ran great until I disconnected the battery.

Why does the odometer and clock reset when you removed the negative connection, but it doesn't clear the radio settings? I think the radio will only reset when you remove the positive cable.

Whatever his CEL code is ..will be the source of his problem. A motor can be timed completely wrong and not trip a code ...

Mark
Turbotrix
Old Jun 29, 2004, 06:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reload your map into the XEDE and see if it still does it.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Ok everyone, settle down. I doubt that the belt has jumped a tooth. I would look for possible vacuum line that could have come off. Of course the SES code would of been helpful too.

Quick Reply: Disconnected battery. Now won't idle.