Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

My DIY alky kit experience

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My DIY alky kit experience

Well, today I finally got around to actually installing a DIY meth/alky kit in my evo8. Here is what I did:

Stock IC sprayer tank with brass 1/2" NPT to 3/8 barb fitting in stock pump hole.
3/8 fuel line to pump (pump has plastic 3/8 barb fitting that came with pump)
Shurflow 8000 pump with switch bypassed. Mounted under airbox.
-4 stainless line up to solonoid positioned in front of the fuse box
solonoid has 3/8 to 1/8 pipe thread bushings and 1/8pipe to -4 90* fittings all brass
1/8" NPT T for pressure gauge
-4 stainless line up to stock IC pipe
-4 to pipe thread fitting (anodized aluminum..need to get brass one)
brass F-F 1/8 pipe thread 90* elbow
M5 nossle threaded into ic pipe with oring.

I ran the two wires for the stock ic sprayer to activte the relay to test it out.
Tommorrow I plan on wiring up the hobbs switch I picked up today and set to 15psi.

On my innitial test in the shop, the stupid plastic Mcmaster Carr solenoid was split and sprayed alky all over. Great . I had a NOS brand fuel solonoid with 1/8 pipe in/outlets sitting around. So I put that in and retested...no leaks. Not sure how long that solonoid will last with 100% denatured alky. I don't want to even thing bout anohter plastic noid though. maybe only use a check valve?

Second test I notice the 100psi fuel pressure gauge I was using is messed up. needle is bent and it's stuck at bout 30psi. I put a 160psi air pressure gauge from the compressor in it's place. Test the system again and this one is stuck at 20psi with a bent needle too! Only the air pressure gauge's needle is bent tward 0. weird. Id like to find out what gauge the kits come with.

Driving down the street at 3000rpm I see 14.7AF steady...pushing the button AF goes down in to the mid 12's. If I hold it long enough, the engine will missfire.
Good, atleast it works.

Then I find out I have an issue with my AFC...I brain farted and wired the airflow signal wire incorrectly. With no airflow signal adjustment, I cn't tune the meth kit at all.

Will update tommorrow after fixing the issues.

Last edited by DSMotorsport; Jan 11, 2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good luck!! I think you have the same mind set as Slowcar. You guys are knowleadgeable and love to experiment on your own cars.

Let us know how it goes. You car is already screaming..
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Good luck!! I think you have the same mind set as Slowcar. You guys are knowleadgeable and love to experiment on your own cars.

Let us know how it goes. You car is already screaming..
It's not screaming anymore:
GT35R replaced with stock 03 turbo
BR race fmic/ic pipes/tial bov replaced with stock fmic, pipes, and bov
AEM EMS replaced with stock ecu/AFC2
850's replaced with stock 560's
Stock maf, airbox,filter, and intake pipe
boost down to 19psi (fuel cut limited)

With the addition of the alky kit, I should be able to get around the fuel cut and raise the boost alot more into the high 20's. I put the AFC and alky kit on over the last 2 days. have not tuned it yet.

My mod list is pretty simple now:
272's w/ gears -4,-1
3" TBE
MBC
AFC2 w/ Map mod
Walbro pump
act clutch
ARP headstuds.

Last edited by DSMotorsport; Jan 12, 2006 at 11:07 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for the write up.

why the switch back to stock??
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
thanks for the write up.

why the switch back to stock??
Sadly..$. Im having a hard time making ends meet with the business having a large amount of overhead, big building, big payroll. This fall/winter sales have slumped and Im netting a loss. Had to sell off the 35Rkit, EMS, FMIC, ect to cover business bills. Sucks. I actually had to stop advertizing here as well as cutting many other business expenses...notice, In not a Gold Vendor anymore.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMotorsport
On my innitial test in the shop, the stupid plastic Mcmaster Carr solenoid was split and sprayed alky all over. Great . .
At least they supply good clamps

Then I find out I have an issue with my AFC...I brain farted and wired the airflow signal wire incorrectly. With no airflow signal adjustment, I cn't tune the meth kit at all.
AFC2 w/ Map mod.
Besides AFC2, what are the other parameters you tuned for the alcohol?

Will update tommorrow after fixing the issues.
Good info

Hope you resolve your business's challenges. Look on the bright side, your Evo's closer to stock condition now will drop my car anytime.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

I really don't have many tuning variables other than:
alky turn on boost point via hobbs switch
Alky volume adjustable via different nozzle (have M5, M10, M15)
AFC will adjust pumpgas fuel and timing inversly.
adjustable boost pressure via MBC.

I haven't gotten into the car today to fix the misswired AFC, so no tuning yet. Will see how it goes tonight.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Excuse my lack of knowledge on this but does this mean that when I install my alcohol system, it is possible to tune it myself if I get an afc, or what else is required? Would I be better off finding a tuner?

I didn't know afc had access to timing.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
Excuse my lack of knowledge on this but does this mean that when I install my alcohol system, it is possible to tune it myself if I get an afc, or what else is required? Would I be better off finding a tuner?

I didn't know afc had access to timing.
I have a wideband o2 sensor (innovate LM1) that I put in the muffler.
Have a pocketlogger to watch airflow/ign timing/rpm/stocko2

I would suggest taking your car to a tuner. I personally want to figure this stuff out more than I want to see the result. Not doing it just to make the car faster, it's more like research with a fun side effect.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

On a bad note: Im getting aggrivated about the solonoid.

I was wiring up the hobbs switch and testing it out. Seems the NOS fuel solonoid is not opening consistently. First time it will open, anytime after that it will not. I did not have any trouble with it on the car, it seemed to open every time. If I dissassemble the noid, it will work again the first time. The plunger doesn't seem to be binding, nothing looks abnormal. My theory is that after the lines are primed up to pressure the first time, the solonoid does not have enough magnet strenght to open against 150psi (guestimate since gauges are all broken) of alky pump pressure. The NOS solonoid plunger has slots that allow the input pressure to act on the top of the plunger to keep it sealed (anti leak). I wonder if that is basicly locking it shut after the first time it opens.

Either way, Im scared to trust it now. I read on some of the DIY sites that people are running the shurflo pumps without a solonoid or checkvalve, and that the Shurflo pump has an internal check valve that is pretty reliable. Im thinking now I might just bypass the whole solonoid and run Pump -> -4 SS line -> Nozzle. Nothing inbetween. Obviously the vacuum in the ic pipe would empty the 3' line every time it shuts off, but that's no worse than now with a solonoid.

Anyone have any advise for me in this situation?

I see the SMC kits don't appear to have a solonoid. Do they have a check valve external to the pump?
Old Jan 12, 2006, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

I see the SMC kits don't appear to have a solonoid. Do they have a check valve external to the pump?
Yep SMC uses a check valve only, with this and the nozzle being infront of the thorttle plate it doesn't see very much actual vaccum.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

I took the car out this morning to test/tune. Was able to get boost up to 25psi falling to 21psi with no fuel cut. I have the AFC set at -10% at 3000-4000 -15 at 4500 and -19 from 5000rpm up. Running .94-.96 on stock o2. Need to fine tune with wideband tonight.

timing looks pretty good to me for unflashed 03 ecu:
3000 4*
4000 4*
4500 6*
5000 7*
5500 8*
6000 11*
6500 15*
7000 19*
7500 20*

running M5 nozzle with shurflow pump pressure switch bypassed. no idea on actual pressure..as it keeps breaking gauges. no solonoid or check valves. Just pump, -4 ss line, nozzle. Hobb switch turning it on at 17psi...Im going to lower it to about 10psi to hopefully richen up the 3500-4000rpm range, lean it out a bit more there and get some more timing on the low end.

It's definatly an improvement so far. Need to regap plugs to run more boost..Im seeing missfires at 25psi.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I took the car out this morning to test/tune. Was able to get boost up to 25psi falling to 21psi with no fuel cut. I have the AFC set at -10% at 3000-4000 -15 at 4500 and -19 from 5000rpm up. Running .94-.96 on stock o2. Need to fine tune with wideband tonight.

timing looks pretty good to me for unflashed 03 ecu:
3000 4*
4000 4*
4500 6*
5000 7*
5500 8*
6000 11*
6500 15*
7000 19*
7500 20*

running M5 nozzle with shurflow pump pressure switch bypassed. no idea on actual pressure..as it keeps breaking gauges. no solonoid or check valves. Just pump, -4 ss line, nozzle. Hobb switch turning it on at 17psi...Im going to lower it to about 10psi to hopefully richen up the 3500-4000rpm range, lean it out a bit more there and get some more timing on the low end.

It's definatly an improvement so far. Need to regap plugs to run more boost..Im seeing missfires at 25psi.

timing from 4000 to around 6500 can be increased a bit. probally loosing a bit of low end torque there.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 03:20 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Be careful man, That is a tiny meth jet. It does not sound like you are using a map sensor with the SAFCII. You need to use a exhaust stream mounted wideband. Tailpipe clamps give ****ty inaccurace readings.

Oh and try 10psi switch.

I just don't want to see you pop the thing, that will definately not help with the finances.

Best Regards and Good Luck .

Last edited by TTP Engineering; Jan 30, 2006 at 03:23 PM.