Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

how does it all work

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2006, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how does it all work

did a search with no good results. but just wondering how meth injection works and what it does.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

i dont know if you have seen this thread or not but it is explained really well IMO

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...=120030&page=1
Old Apr 17, 2006, 09:23 AM

thanks alot i will check it out
Old Apr 20, 2006, 09:31 AM

Water-methanol injection serves 2 major purposes on a gasoline forced induction engine.
It cools (and therefore condenses) the intake charge by 60-100 degrees F. This is a huge temperature drop with no pressure loss due to larger intercooler volume or plumbing, etc.
It also bumps the effective octane of 91 pump gas to about 116, or C16 race gas. This makes for huge detonation suppression which means a lot more room for timing advance and more power.

That is the thumbnail version - more questions feel free to ask.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
^ yes.

Water/alcohol/methanol injection all serve the same purpose. It doesn't act as a fuel, it acts to change how the fuel is burned into a smoother and more controlled "burn" like race gas.

Some are very wary of it however, and rightfully so. If it's tuned (for maximum results) and you run out of fluid, it's like dropping your fuel's octane rating like it's your job. you'll find yourself with loads of detonation. Some systems have checks and balances and sensors so there's a constant monitoring of clogged nozzles or low reservoirs, so you're notified immediately if something isn't working right. Some even go farther than that by connecting to the ECU and monitoring EGT's (or AFR's or something similar) so if something DOES go wrong and it detects the mixture is lacking, it corrects the ECU immediately to save your engine if you're not paying attention.

I think with a good injection kit, keeping it filled, and doing preventive maintenance every 6mo, you should be just fine without the expensive ECU-linked systems.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:28 AM

ok very helpful guys

thanks again.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Wheelhaus
Some are very wary of it however, and rightfully so. If it's tuned (for maximum results) and you run out of fluid, it's like dropping your fuel's octane rating like it's your job. you'll find yourself with loads of detonation. Some systems have checks and balances and sensors so there's a constant monitoring of clogged nozzles or low reservoirs, so you're notified immediately if something isn't working right. Some even go farther than that by connecting to the ECU and monitoring EGT's (or AFR's or something similar) so if something DOES go wrong and it detects the mixture is lacking, it corrects the ECU immediately to save your engine if you're not paying attention.

Yep, if you take advantage of the potential to tune for water/alcohol and the flow quits, you do stand a danger of detonation - UNLESS -

You use our Safe Injection. This is a fail-safe option we offer for any of our Boost Cooler injection kits. It actually measures fluid flow (through the Safe Injection unit) and if it ever drops below a preset level, due to some sort of clog or running out of fluid, etc. it triggers an output that can be used to immediately bleed off boost, retard timing, have a standalone do something else, etc. Not really trying to product plug as much as I am to inform people about the option, as it is relatively new. It is a really valid concern that we have tried to completely eliminate.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

I think this thread sums the answers to your question pretty well. Methanol injection works great on all turbo/supercharged vehicles. The EVOs tend to do exceptional with meth/water injection. Our latest system the Vari-Cool Controller units have software ability to allow you to configure all params of the system. It can run in single or 2d mode and has many advanced features that you will only find on our unit. Inn-Tune, Import Image, Precision Dyno Tune are vendors on this forum that have our kits in stock.

Last edited by coolingmist; Apr 22, 2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is it ok to use in the winter with very cold weather?

i'm considering installing a system just need a little more info, thanks guys

Last edited by bbyevo8u; Jul 24, 2009 at 05:24 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Old Aug 31, 2009, 07:57 AM

How often does the meth tank run out with spirited daily driving? Wondering if a meth system would pose issues on cross country roadtrips etc.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gt3921
how often does the meth tank run out with spirited daily driving? Wondering if a meth system would pose issues on cross country roadtrips etc.
+1
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:14 AM

I have a 5 qt tank and drive my car enjoyably. Fill up probably every week and a half to 2. Of course I don't floor it everywhere I drive, but for say, At the track where you're running the car 100% the whole time, you obviously go through it a lot quicker
Old Dec 15, 2009, 02:23 PM

We find that 3Qts will get you through a tank of gas at least in normal driving. But there are a lot of factors. On my 93 Laser, I would get 2 tanks of fuel from one old 2Qt tank that I used, but that was also with a lot of driving in traffic. If you do a lot of hard driving, the useage is higher. The general rule of thumb I see is that you will use about 3Qts of fluid for every 16 gallons of gasoline.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 05:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Here is link to water-meth 101 paper

http://www.labontemotorsports.com/ontrack/WM101.pdf

this is also posted here on Evom somewhere, also lots of good info in stickies above this forum section.

Quick Reply: how does it all work