Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Water Injection????

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2006, 09:25 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't see this till late, but as for a suggestion for a kit, I am slightly biased towards Snow Performance...
Old Apr 23, 2006, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

Am where do i get a tank, maybe a stylish one, and yeah i was talkin about dynoflash mail-in flash. Where normally will the tank go i was thinkin under the hood, but there might not be enough room, btw without a tune i will still be ok, right
Old Apr 23, 2006, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by richie11
Am where do i get a tank, maybe a stylish one, and yeah i was talkin about dynoflash mail-in flash. Where normally will the tank go i was thinkin under the hood, but there might not be enough room, btw without a tune i will still be ok, right
If you're running pure water, you'll actually lose power if you don't lean out your A/F ratio. Last time I dealt with Al he wasn't really keen on the idea of just water injection on it's own.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

got a link for snow performance ultimate cc
Old Apr 24, 2006, 05:28 AM
Account Disabled

www.snowperformance.net but if you have any questions drop me im/pm
Old Apr 24, 2006, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
Saab Tuner, you always have good info, a true guru.
is your sig warr as a newbie?
Old Apr 24, 2006, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chuntington101
water injection alone will not give you any power gains! but there are BIG advantages to using water injection. what the water actually does is slow the flame front in the combustion chamber down! what this means is you can run the engine hard on the same fuel and not get any det! effectively its like running on race gas but a lot cheaper!

the reason a lot of people are running alky is the alky helps reduce inlet temps and adds a little bit more octane to the mix aswell! these both help to reduce det even further letting you run the engine even harder!

the disadvantage to both water injection and alky injection is to get the most out of them you need to tune the car with them running! now this is fine while the tanks are full but when they are empty its another story! this, in my eyes is why water injection alone is better as you can carry a bottle of distiled water around in the car incase you do run out!

water injection alone is damn good stuff! take a look at what the WRC teams do and you can see! they run direct water injection into each cyclinder so they can modualte the water in each cylinder!

thanks Chris.

Also, do consider a failsafe system like the Aquamist DDS3. This little 52mm device when coupled with a fast acting solenoid valve will cut boost OR if you run it with a standalone ecu that can make used out a signal output from the device to change to a less aggressive map in case of :

1 - low level of injectant in the container

2 - too high a flow, a leak OR too low a flow, clogged jet or dying pump - settable "safe operating window" anywhere from the smallest jet to a humangous 15GPH / 945cc/min jet!

A true failsafe that is like none out there. Also the scalable visual indicator(a multi bar LED, not a el cheapo single LED green/red light) will show you when injection is in progress.

Do not run alky without it - run lots of methanol/water + a DDS3 + good optimized tune
Old May 3, 2006, 01:58 PM
Former Sponsor

water injection alone will not give you any power gains! but there are BIG advantages to using water injection. what the water actually does is slow the flame front in the combustion chamber down! what this means is you can run the engine hard on the same fuel and not get any det! effectively its like running on race gas but a lot cheaper!

the reason a lot of people are running alky is the alky helps reduce inlet temps and adds a little bit more octane to the mix aswell! these both help to reduce det even further letting you run the engine even harder!

the disadvantage to both water injection and alky injection is to get the most out of them you need to tune the car with them running! now this is fine while the tanks are full but when they are empty its another story! this, in my eyes is why water injection alone is better as you can carry a bottle of distiled water around in the car incase you do run out!

water injection alone is damn good stuff! take a look at what the WRC teams do and you can see! they run direct water injection into each cyclinder so they can modualte the water in each cylinder!

thanks Chris.
Here is a link that may change your mind on water power. It not an Evo but it runs on 100% water.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=994302

Richard

Last edited by Richard L; May 3, 2006 at 02:19 PM.
Old May 3, 2006, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SaabTuner
Here's an interesting read on WI courtesy of NASA and some old research they did into "internal coolants": http://naca.larc.nasa.gov/reports/1945/naca-report-812/
Man, good read, kinda old but interesting - if 32% monomethylamine outperforms 70% methyl alcohol I cant imagine what 50% would do.

Since monomethylamine isn't available (I think it's one of the pioneer precursers in the illicit manufacture of a controlled substance) and water requires more in depth tuning I will still use good old methanol.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

The Post

You hae to think really hard why you want to spend the money and the time on "water injection". It is true it is used in WRC, but not to the means at which everyone thinks. Besides if they blow a motor Mits gives them a new you, while your out BIG $$$. Play it safe, use the Methanol, Get some VP M1 mix it 50/50 and you will get allot of bang for your buck. Just using water?? its helpful, but the cost vs gain is not worth it. In my book. Make sure you have a tuner that is VERY WELL rehearsed in Water injection to do your tune. Its a VERY tricky tune to do on water alone. Be Cautious. The Meth mix gives you more of a cushion for mistakes by tuners. IMO.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
100% water is hard to do correctly to see big enough gains to justify the cost. To do it with out the following will cost you a motor in the long run.

HFS-6 -$936 + 4 hours labor
Direct port jets ect- $200 + 6 hours labor
COP -$550 +20 min labor
Proper in depth tuning -$$$ +/- 2-4 hours

Your close to $2,000 to do 100% h2o correctly and that doesn't insure a tuner who will push your car to that limit either.

Looking at a lot of time and money! I have done this and can say my car makes more power and tq on pump 87! Safer than a 100 octane with 50/50 injection.(Less knock and lower egts)

50/50 is the best in general use. Its best for weather and climate reasons and more! Its way more simple for a majority of these tuners to figure out how to extract power from too! lol

Evan Smith
Old Jul 14, 2010, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

water injection alone is damn good stuff! take a look at what the WRC teams do and you can see! they run direct water injection into each cyclinder so they can modualte the water in each cylinder!.
WRC technical regulations took water injection out since 2007 but YES Water Injection is damn good stuff ;-)
Old Jul 15, 2010, 01:53 AM
Evolved Member

^^^ Correct, also water injection was only used in WRC climate wise(hot and dry NOT in snow events). 50/50 will be best suited for a majority of all scenarios.

Evan Smith