Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

100% meth or water vs 50/50 mix

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2006, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, Ted has your position changed as far a power potential of 100% alky, 50/50, or WI since this post.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...6&postcount=16
Old Oct 25, 2006, 05:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard L
Extra fuel however, used as a cooling agent will impede burn due to the production of CO. . . . If you are running pig rich, the CO will take prescious oxgen molecules ouit of the combustion chamber happly, resulting in power loss.
This is almost purely academic, as those of us who run straight methanol run maps that remove enough gasoline to run appropriate AFRs with the injection activated. My engine wouldn't even run otherwise.

I am shocked to see prople tuning their car with alcohol with little or no failsafe implanted.
If you find that shocking, stick around this board awhile. . .

What failsafe would your recommend for street cars?
My hardware features a lean-run-protect algorithm - a wise investment.

. . . In order to take greater advange of WI properly, you need to run the EGT/coolant temperture beyond its safe limit and use however much water to bring it back to a safe level. . . . There is a recent example of such application on an diesel engine . . .
Practicality is an important element of what is a viable option for a street car, and I don't follow why removing the engine to dyno would be required. While your opinions in this matter may (or may not) be more viable than not, I'd have to have case studies with engine specifics, mapping data, and dyno data before I'd take such a leap of faith, and preferrably with gasoline, high-perf automotive engines (not diesel).

Originally Posted by nutrulz
So, Ted has your position changed as far a power potential of 100% alky, 50/50, or WI since this post.
My position on certain things evolves with experience, derived from both first and second-hand observations. As for my position in this instance, it's definitely changed in the past 1.5 years. If my opinions never changed, either I'd be an idiot, or I'd be so knowledgeable that participating in this forum would be a waste of my time. Obviously, neither is correct!
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:07 PM
Former Sponsor

It has been great to taking part in this discussion, just wish more would join in.

I can conclude WI and WA will both contribute to extending engine's power capability, just does it differently. One day, you will have materials that can work up to 5000C and fuel have an octane rating of 500 point or more. Even then, there will still be people injecting water/alcohol to extend the barrier - human nature.

I like to point out water, as a non-combustible and non-miscible, will not impede combustion. Put a few drops of gasoline on a pool of water, it will burn. It is a common mis-conception that water puts out fire - not true. Water will not put out a gas station fire. It will however lower the temperature of the core.

However, a non-combustible liquid that is miscible with gasoline will suppress combustion.

Last edited by Richard L; Oct 26, 2006 at 01:03 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 01:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ted B

If you find that shocking, stick around this board awhile. . .
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

My position on certain things evolves with experience, derived from both first and second-hand observations. As for my position in this instance, it's definitely changed in the past 1.5 years. If my opinions never changed, either I'd be an idiot, or I'd be so knowledgeable that participating in this forum would be a waste of my time. Obviously, neither is correct!
Just wondering, I came across that looking for other info so I had to ask.

Last edited by nutrulz; Nov 13, 2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 03:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gunzo

If I understand what you (RICHARD L) wrote correctly, if I go 100% water injection, I can correspondingly run higher boost and leaner fuelling. I would guess that timing advance determines when BMEP occurs so if I lower timing to allow pressure to build as much as possible I'd make more power??
Sorry I have missed your post. Better late than never.

If you lower timing, a large part of the cylinder pressure will go out of the exhaust port. This is one draw back of water inejction, it actually slow down the burnt rate (same effec as the race fuel). You need to advance timing to compensate.

There are chemicals such as propyleneoxide (PO), will accelerate the flame speed. I was told of this chemical some time ago - added too much may leave you sump pan at the start line. I believe it is a banned chemical on drag strips. Ideally, if the water and PO can be mixed together, it will be any ideal partnership. Unfortunatelt, PO dis not miscible in water, but will dissolve in alcohol. So if you want to experiment on retarded timing, run 50/50 plus PO(%?) may achieve your goal.

But increased boost also increases power correct??
what I want to know is .. with WI, do you recommend to run higher boost?? or higher timing ?? or both??
With WI, you just jame as much in as possibleand let water to control the cylinder temperature. This practice is a bit extyreme, but if you want massive toque, thisisone way to achieve - you also need a very powerful ignition system, magneto or a mini-welder.

Methanol = run more advance timing closer to knock threshold
Water = run higher boost with lower timing to generate higher pressure safely
Pure Methanol: timing and in-cyclinder temperature is the limitation for pure methanol It will go a long way before reaching this limit. But if you injection pure methanol to a gasoline fuel engimne, it is a good compromised.

Water: more boost and advance timing and powerful spark.