Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Aquamist HFS-5 system: Official Q&A...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2007, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Rich,
I got a question for ya....where the hell are these things. My car has been tied up at Turbotrix for weeks waiting for one of these kits . I'm missing a bunch of meets/shows. I missed Hot Import nights in Boston, Import wars at New England Dragway etc etc. The summer is flying by me without my car
Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Who did you buy your kit from?
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by F.O.G.
Hey Rich,
I got a question for ya....where the hell are these things. My car has been tied up at Turbotrix for weeks waiting for one of these kits . I'm missing a bunch of meets/shows. I missed Hot Import nights in Boston, Import wars at New England Dragway etc etc. The summer is flying by me without my car
What exactly are you waiting on? I may be able to help, I'm in NJ and not too far from Turbotrix.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:59 AM
Former Sponsor

I believe Turbotrix managed to acquire a system from the latest shipment from UK. We are working 24/7 to keep up with demand of this system at present.

Last edited by Richard L; Jun 13, 2007 at 01:44 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Richard, I have a question that is on the previous page about grounding the FIA, when you have a chance please respond.

Thanks
Old Jun 12, 2007, 02:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dudical26
Richard -
The black wire on the FIA2, should the be grounded to the same ground source as the DDS3 or should I wire it into the "sensor earth" wire on my ECU?

Thanks
I missed that one!

If possible, run the FIA2 black ground wire separately to a chassis ground. That wire could have some noise during the HSV switching.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Richard

You posted a diagram of the HFS-5 system install using a single MAC valve for general boost control and to shut off boost in a failure, I have been searching for it and cannot find it, could you re-post it please.

Thanks
Duncan
Old Jun 12, 2007, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks everyone. I am waiting on the whole latest and greatest kit. I apologize to everyone. I didnt mean to be a dick when I wote that this morning. I just really would like to get my car. The guys at Ttrix are the greatest. I dont know where they are getting the kit from, but it is the last piece that we are waiting for. I guess they have 2 on backorder. One of which is mine. Thanks again for the offers.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 03:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kduncan01
Richard

You posted a diagram of the HFS-5 system install using a single MAC valve for general boost control and to shut off boost in a failure, I have been searching for it and cannot find it, could you re-post it please.

Thanks
Duncan

I can't quite rememeber which diagram, I have several with the Mac valve.

Could you tell me if the factory solenoid valve is still in use? How are you controlling the boost pressure at present?
Old Jun 13, 2007, 03:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks everyone. I am waiting on the whole latest and greatest kit. I apologize to everyone. I didnt mean to be a dick when I wote that this morning. I just really would like to get my car. The guys at Ttrix are the greatest. I dont know where they are getting the kit from, but it is the last piece that we are waiting for. I guess they have 2 on backorder. One of which is mine. Thanks again for the offers.

If you have further delay problems just pm me or post here.

Last edited by Richard L; Jun 19, 2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

OK. My turn for questions.

Kit came and it is NICE. Great parts... Very complete.

I am using the system with an AEM EMS. I will probably trigger on boost at about 12psi.

I will be running my normal pump gas map on the AEM and I will be hooking up ground outputs from the DDS3 to the AEM switch inputs to turn on a NOS map for less fuel and more timing, and the HI/LO boost switch for added boost.

Now... my question is concerning the on/off/failsafes. I was planning on hooking BOTH of my AEM triggers (HI boost and NOS map) to Pin 10 so that when there is flow, I am on HI boost and NOS map... and no flow = fallback to the default 91 map. (should work right?)

Well what concerned me was reading http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...57#post4525244

"the failsafe has a 2-second "grace period" before reporting a fault."

Which Pins are the 'failsafe'? 9/10.. 11/12.. or both?

If there is a flow fault... will it take 2 seconds to pull the ground from PIN 10?

Same question with 11/12.

Same question for the float sensor. (but i guess that wouldnt matter as much since you probably have 2 secs of flow in the lines.)

I have read the workaround of removing the resistor to bring it down to a 0.3 sec delay.. how will this affect my set-up?.. you mentioned something about fail safe kicking in during shifts.

Can you give us a little more detail on the subject?

Thanks!

also... does the pump work better mounted in any particular direction?.. up/down/sideways.. does it matter?

Last edited by ryan0; Jun 19, 2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 02:30 AM
Former Sponsor

First a brief background of the DDS3 system.

Up to the version8 junction board, all trigger/drop-out timing was controlled by the circuit board inside the gauge.

Since the introduction of the v8 JB, the timing is now shared between the circuits.
With the exception of pin 9/10 still controlled by the Guage circuitry.

In order to modify the delay of the map switch (pin11/12), you have to first disable the gauge circuitry (top diagram, at SRT forum) and then modify the junction board components. The timing modification on the current v8 more progressive. You can trim the delay timing from ~60ms to 4 seconds. I do not recommend the delay to be less than 60ms.

Answers to your questions (in Green):

Originally Posted by ryan0
OK. My turn for questions.

Kit came and it is NICE. Great parts... Very complete.

I am using the system with an AEM EMS. I will probably trigger on boost at about 12psi.

I will be running my normal pump gas map on the AEM and I will be hooking up ground outputs from the DDS3 to the AEM switch inputs to turn on a NOS map for less fuel and more timing, and the HI/LO boost switch for added boost.

You have two options on this to active your NOS map:
1) Pin 9/10: Just pin 10 will do. It switches to ground when the DDS3 system is triggered (pin17). After trigger, if the water flow is not inside the preset flow window, pin9 will loose the ground switch (floating). There are virtually no delay after the DDS3 gauge circuitry is modified (component removed).

2) Pin 11/12: This set of voltage free contacts is held closed when the DDS3 is switched on and with the correct water flow during and after trigger (pin17). It drops out when the DDS3 is switched off or when in-correct water flow is detected.

The delay you are about to modifiy only affects the "fault" detection drop-out sequence. Follow the bottom diagram (SRT forum) and modify.

Now... my question is concerning the on/off/failsafes. I was planning on hooking BOTH of my AEM triggers (HI boost and NOS map) to Pin 10 so that when there is flow, I am on HI boost and NOS map... and no flow = fallback to the default 91 map. (should work right?)

Yes, you can hook up both of the HI-boost and Nos map switch to pin10. One warning, if you are in the wet, the moment the DDS3 switches, you will get a instant change of power, due to boost and advance timing and fuel trimm, the torque increase is pretty abrupt.

I suggest using pin11/12 (manually ground pin12). As this connection is "always" grounded until a fault is detected or DDS3 switched off. This method is much more predictable.

Pin9/10 has caused some problem on turbo bikes, you can image the rest.

Well what concerned me was reading http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...57#post4525244

"the failsafe has a 2-second "grace period" before reporting a fault."

Which Pins are the 'failsafe'? 9/10.. 11/12.. or both?

BOTH - I have covered this above

If there is a flow fault... will it take 2 seconds to pull the ground from PIN 10?

After trigger, 2 sec grace applies. During the triggered period, the timing is variable depending on the differential between the flow signal and the two limits (WL and WH). it can vary between 0.5s - 2 second. Removing the component, it defaults to about 60ms

Same question with 11/12.

Same as above but you need to modified the gauge as well as the JB. (bottom diagram)

Same question for the float sensor. (but i guess that wouldn't matter as much since you probably have 2 secs of flow in the lines.)

The float sensor is instant.

I have read the work around of removing the resistor to bring it down to a 0.3 sec delay.. how will this affect my set-up?.. you mentioned something about fail safe kicking in during shifts.

I suggest using pin11/12 as your failsafe - you have more control on the timing. The failsafe drop out is a pain if you use modify pin10 to zero-delay.
During gear shifts, the trigger input (pin17) will be boucing as you boost goes up/down during shift. Same applies to PWM mode, the FIDC will be going up/down. Yiou can minimise this by increasing the the onset of WI at a higher boost or IDC.

Now you have control o fthe delay, it will be completely up to you how much delay you can afford against false triggering.

... also... does the pump work better mounted in any particular direction?.. up/down/sideways.. does it matter?

As long as the pumphead is below the water level it doesn't matter too much. In practice, pump mounted virtically and head underneath.

Last edited by Richard L; Jun 20, 2007 at 06:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old Jun 20, 2007, 02:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Did you get you kit and installed?
Old Jun 20, 2007, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Does there seem to be a general consencious that 2 second delay is too long? Has anyone succesfully lowered their delay and not experianced accidental failsafe triggering?
Old Jun 20, 2007, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

I talked to Turbotrix on Monday ( two days ago ) They told me they expected the kits in on Tues or Weds ( today ). So, I'll call them tomorrow and see if its in which should get me my car back next week. That would be great !!! Also, thank you for your concern for me. I would have thought that with everything you have going, you would not have remembered me. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Aquamist HFS-5 system: Official Q&A...