Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Shurflo pumps of major WAI kit manufacturer

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2007 | 12:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by coolingmist
Richard, Quit nitpicking. I am talking about YOUR pump vs ours. How about that? On a progressive system take your pump and put ours and our pump has a much faster response time.

There you go. No ambiguity.

David,

I am just a bit puzzled by your claim, I will explained.

The mass of the 150W is 5.9lbs and the 60W pump is 4.6lbs.
According to my calculation, it weighs 28% heavier.

The 150W pump is 150% more powerful than the 60W pump.

Force = mass x acceleration. If this formula is right, the 150W pump should accelerate 122% (150%-28%) faster than the 60W pump.

Inertia of rotating mass= mass x R^2 (both motor has the same diameter) so Mass is the determine factor of the reaction speed.

Can someone chime in and verify this?

PS David, I am not trying to nick pick - I cannot let unproven statement go
unchallenged, nothing personal.

Last edited by Richard L; Apr 29, 2007 at 05:13 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2007 | 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Richard L

Isnt that what this is:

David,

Force = mass x acceleration. If this formula is right, the 150W pump should accelerate 122% (150%-28%) faster than the 60W pump.

Inertia of rotating mass= mass x R^2 (both motor has the same diameter) so Mass is the determine factor of the reaction speed.

Originally Posted by richard l
You probably have all kinds of fancy smancy equipment at hand and yet you want someone else to come on and verfify it. Why not take your own advice and run your own test.

I for one would be eternally greatful for that.

Last edited by coolingmist; Apr 4, 2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2007 | 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Also for the record our pump weighs in under 4 lbs.

Last edited by coolingmist; Apr 4, 2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2007 | 02:22 PM
Former Sponsor

You probably have all kinds of fancy smancy equipment at hand and yet you want someone else to come on and verfify it. Why not take your own advice and run your own test.

I for one would be eternally greatful for that.
I was referring to the inertia formula.
Old Apr 4, 2007 | 02:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Also for the record our pump weighs in under 4 lbs.
Even your pump weighs 3 lbs, the 150W motor will accelerate 50% faster.
Old Apr 4, 2007 | 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

All you have is theory. Until you test it and prove it, its a bunch of babble to me.
Old Apr 4, 2007 | 02:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Tell me how did you test the two pumps to arrive at the conclusion, it may save me time.
Old Apr 4, 2007 | 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Tell me how did you test the two pumps to arrive at the conclusion, it may save me time.
I have no interest in saving you time.

good luck
Old Apr 4, 2007 | 03:43 PM
Former Sponsor

If anyone would ever test a 150 W pump and a 60W pump side by side under high pressure for an extended period of time you would see in a methanol/water injection application the larger pump has absolutely zero advantage. Its over kill. You can run the 60 W pump at full dutycyle for 30 minutes straight and the cover will just begin to get warm. Some commented earlier that the 150 W pump is more quiet, I have tested both side by side and in my tests the 60W pump is alot more quiet, however neither pump is loud.

We chose the 60 W pump because in a progressive application will have a better response time than the the 100 or 150 W pump. We have every shurflo pump at our shop and have tested all of them.

The only way the 150 W pump would make more sense is if the pumps were running continously.

Perhaps those that have commented about how hot the 60W pump runs vs the 150 should produce data to back it up and then show how that will make a difference in an application such as methanol injection that has such low usage.
David, you still stand-by the statement above (in RED), you made earlier?
Old Apr 4, 2007 | 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

Richard,

Just say what ever you have to say. I dont have time to go back and forth with you, nor do I care to.
Old Apr 4, 2007 | 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

David,

Richard -- Your formulas are correct, but your base assumption is wrong....Watts are power, not Force....You need to convert the power of both pumps to Force and then determine the acceleration of the piston...150W is ~6638 ft lbs / min....60W is ~2655 ft lbs / min.....

Acceler. (60 W motor, weighing 4.6#) = 2655 ft lbs / min / 4.6 = 577 ft / min (which is really velocity so I must have forgotten something in 20+ years)

Acceler. (150W motor weighing 5.9#) = 6638 / 5.9 = 1125

I think the 150W motor should be able to accelerate and decelerate much quicker than than 60W motor, but there could be other issues such as resistance that impact the motors ability to respond....I still feel the unanswered question is :

What is the optimal PSI for atomization of water / meth / alk ? Then based upon this answer it should be clear which motor is optimal (IMHO).
Old Apr 5, 2007 | 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cij911
Richard -- Your formulas are correct, but your base assumption is wrong....Watts are power, not Force....You need to convert the power of both pumps to Force and then determine the acceleration of the piston...150W is ~6638 ft lbs / min....60W is ~2655 ft lbs / min.....

Acceler. (60 W motor, weighing 4.6#) = 2655 ft lbs / min / 4.6 = 577 ft / min (which is really velocity so I must have forgotten something in 20+ years)

I think the 150W motor should be able to accelerate and decelerate much quicker than than 60W motor, but there could be other issues such as resistance that impact the motors ability to respond....I still feel the unanswered question is :

What is the optimal PSI for atomization of water / meth / alk ? Then based upon this answer it should be clear which motor is optimal (IMHO).
Bump for a response from Aquamist, Snow, Coolingmist, others....
Old Apr 5, 2007 | 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cij911

Your formulas are off because the weights quoted should not be used in the equations. You would need the weight of the rotor assemblies . Thats the part that gets spun in an electric motor. But this whole arguement is pointless anyway. As I already stated the size of the motor on the pump has nothing to do with the reliabilty of these pumps. The power the motor has is not relevant , nor is the reaction speed of it. If the pumps were being used like fuel injectors then we would have something to argue about. But they way the current systems are designed the size of the electric motor is irrelevant. All the pump sizes offer sufficient pressure to atomize the water.
Old Apr 5, 2007 | 08:35 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
Your formulas are off because the weights quoted should not be used in the equations. You would need the weight of the rotor assemblies . Thats the part that gets spun in an electric motor. But this whole arguement is pointless anyway. As I already stated the size of the motor on the pump has nothing to do with the reliabilty of these pumps. The power the motor has is not relevant , nor is the reaction speed of it. If the pumps were being used like fuel injectors then we would have something to argue about. But they way the current systems are designed the size of the electric motor is irrelevant. All the pump sizes offer sufficient pressure to atomize the water.
+ 1 to that...
Old Apr 5, 2007 | 09:21 AM
Former Sponsor

The subject becomes relevent if we decide to use the 150W pump for a "pump-speed" system. This topic will be discussed again when this happens - there are a few more systems we are bring out very soon - without the HSV.

Quick Reply: Shurflo pumps of major WAI kit manufacturer