Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

methanol mixtures

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2007, 03:12 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dudical26
If meth is corrosive to Al, do we have to worry about it corroding our head?
What Cosworth is doing is buying a stock Evo head. They run about 3 gallons of meth injection through them and all of the corrosion opens up the ports and increases airflow through intake and exhaust. Then they turn around and sell the heads for $3800.

Problem is after you reach about 10 gal of meth injection run through the head, all you're left with is a block and pistons, as the IC pipes, intake manifold, head all dissolve and melt like the T1000 Terminator once you reach 10 gallons of use.

Old Jun 20, 2007, 03:21 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by packrat
On 50/50 mixes- what is the purpose of the water? Only for cooling purposes, or to dilute the methanol a little to make it less corrosive?
Water also has heat absorbing properties that allow a leaner pumpgas mixture without detonation, adding power and raising the detonation threshold.

Many times the 50/50 mixture is a safety precaution for meth injection companies as 50/50 mixes are not flammable.

Other times meth injection kit companies want you to run a "thicker" 50/50 mix of water because their fittings, pumps and connectors will leak while using the "thinner" mix of 100% methanol.

I had a client using the snow performance safeinjection system leaking like a sieve. Their recommendation to the client was to use 50/50 to reduce the chance of leaks.

Furthermore most kits are Shurflo based and Shurflo has a warning against using flammable fluid through their pumps. These warning labels are removed by kit manufacturers before they slap on their own labels.

Last edited by TTP Engineering; Jun 20, 2007 at 03:24 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Water also has heat absorbing properties that allow a leaner pumpgas mixture without detonation, adding power and raising the detonation threshold.

Many times the 50/50 mixture is a safety precaution for meth injection companies as 50/50 mixes are not flammable.

Other times meth injection kit companies want you to run a "thicker" 50/50 mix of water because their fittings, pumps and connectors will leak while using the "thinner" mix of 100% methanol.

I had a client using the snow performance safeinjection system leaking like a sieve. Their recommendation to the client was to use 50/50 to reduce the chance of leaks.

Furthermore most kits are Shurflo based and Shurflo has a warning against using flammable fluid through their pumps. These warning labels are removed by kit manufacturers before they slap on their own labels.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

The first post in this thread has some good info that IMO anyone handling methanol should read.
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359912
Old Jun 20, 2007, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

i cant find any methanol around here, but i went to lowes and found denatured alcohol and methyl ethyl ketone.....how good will these perform?
Old Jun 20, 2007, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

You can not find the yellow bottles of HEET in an autoparts store or some place like Walmart (probably the cheapest source)? I do not have the info handy with me right now with regards to your denatured alcohol or methyl ethyl ketone question, but I usually point people straight to HEET when asked about methanol since its probably the easiest way to get methanol. Also, find a speed shop thats local to you, usually the speed shops have methanol in 5 gallon containers, if you do not see it ask.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

never put MEK in your WI system, it will destroy all polymers except the resilient few fluoropolymers, ptfe, pfa, fep

denatured alcohol is pretty pricey and it contains denaturing/fouling agents like acetone, MEK, methylene chloride - although in several %, these polar solvents have detrimental effects on polymer pump parts

call around...chemical supply house usually stock tech grade methanol for ~25 to 30 for a 5 gallon drum
Old Jun 20, 2007, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

If meth is corrosive to Al, do we have to worry about it corroding our head?
the reaction of methanol with aluminum is not a fast one. as long as Al is not "sitting submerged" in methanol and its an occasional wetting and drying its fine.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering

the low surface tension and viscosity of straight methanol makes it very hard to pour without making a mess...turkey pan helps a lot to catch the dripping mess
Old Jun 21, 2007, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aqmist
You can not find the yellow bottles of HEET in an autoparts store or some place like Walmart (probably the cheapest source)? I do not have the info handy with me right now with regards to your denatured alcohol or methyl ethyl ketone question, but I usually point people straight to HEET when asked about methanol since its probably the easiest way to get methanol. Also, find a speed shop thats local to you, usually the speed shops have methanol in 5 gallon containers, if you do not see it ask.
yes i can find the heet, but i heard it was bad for it, i dont know why, but it would also take about 16 of the bottles to equal a gallon and that would be quite pricy
Old Jun 21, 2007, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

what i wanna do is a 50/50 mix with meth and distilled water, but im not sure if i can find methanol in time for my tune this wknd....could i mix water with heet? or the washer fluid with heet? im just running down to the last minute and need to grab something
Old Jun 21, 2007, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

bvdawg - if you are looking to buy in bulk I know a place where you can get 54gallon drums in PA. Unfortunately it is on the other side of the state.

Amazing price too, $180 for a barrel.

PM me if you are interested.

Last edited by dudical26; Jun 21, 2007 at 07:38 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

bvdawg - if you are looking to buy in bulk I know a place where you can get 54gallon drums right near you in PA.

amazing price too, $180 for a barrel.

PM me if you are interested.
where at in PA is it, im on the western end of PA in pittsburgh
Old Jun 21, 2007, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

ok i finally found methanol! im doing the 50/50 meth/distilled water
Old Jun 21, 2007, 08:44 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by bvdawg13
what i wanna do is a 50/50 mix with meth and distilled water, but im not sure if i can find methanol in time for my tune this wknd....could i mix water with heet? or the washer fluid with heet? im just running down to the last minute and need to grab something
Let's play a little game called "pretend the new name for HEET is methanol".

You can go to walmart and buy "methanol" any time you want.

It only takes 6-8 bottles to fill up the rear washer tank.

IMO I think the HEET brand has given us better results than VP M1 methanol.

Quick Reply: methanol mixtures