Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

HFS-5, one or two nozzles?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2007, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HFS-5, one or two nozzles?

When I build a manifold in a couple of months for my new motor I plan on doing individual port injection, but in the meantime, assuming I'm going to place any and all nozzles right up by the throttle body, is there any advantage to 2 smaller nozzles vs. 1 bigger nozzle? I plan to run 50/50 water/meth, with about as much volume as I can push (around 1000cc/min I figure).

Thanks
Old Jul 31, 2007, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

two smaller nozzles will have the advantage of being able to better atomize the water/meth mixture. It is always advisable to run several smaller nozzles than a single large nozzle.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

.. and my understanding is that you want them closer to the IC... something about more time to vaporize.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Every location has its advantages and disadvantages.

You might not want a jet before the BOV as it will recirculat meth into the intake and turbo.

I put my jets as close to the BOV but still above it, and as close to the TB as possible.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dudical26
You might not want a jet before the BOV as it will recirculat meth into the intake and turbo.
did everyone ever come to a majority conclusion that misting a few CCs of meth vapor damages a 1000 degree metal wheel?

i mean its a sealed compartment of really hot metal, moving a lot of air volume through itself.. what could be damaged?
Old Jul 31, 2007, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

my understanding was that for water injection you want it close to the IC to give more time to remove heat, but for meth injection you wanted it close to the TB to minimize other problems (like blowing meth out the BOV, having meth come in to contact with more tubing (aluminum + meth = bad), etc...
Old Jul 31, 2007, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you mount it before the BOV when the BOV opens you have the possibility of water droplets hitting the compressor blades. Water hitting the blades will put excess wear on your thrust bearing and will erode the blades over time. I dont know how long a turbo will last with this setup but it is not ideal.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2JZfan
my understanding was that for water injection you want it close to the IC to give more time to remove heat, but for meth injection you wanted it close to the TB to minimize other problems (like blowing meth out the BOV, having meth come in to contact with more tubing (aluminum + meth = bad), etc...
water works best in the cylinder where all the action is going on.

the methanol comes in contact witht he aluminum tubing only when sprayed, so its not an issue at all. When the nozzle is far from the TB, methanol having very low viscosity will wet the inside of the intake tract - with the HFS-5 or the HFS-1, you spray what is needed and the HSV/solenoid valve cuts it off when injection event is over...unlike valveless system where the excess pressure of methanol has to be "bled off" causing excess hosing down of the intake piping.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cpoevo
If you mount it before the BOV when the BOV opens you have the possibility of water droplets hitting the compressor blades. Water hitting the blades will put excess wear on your thrust bearing and will erode the blades over time. I dont know how long a turbo will last with this setup but it is not ideal.
the wear from mist hitting the compressor blade will be very minimal compared to Pre Turbo Injection
Old Jul 31, 2007, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cpoevo
a mist hitting blades will put wear on a bearing?

whats your theory there?

the mist is so heavy it throws the assembly out of balance?

and a mist will erode the metal blades?

i can only think of "rain getting on your tires will wear out your hub bearings and eventually erode the tire."