Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Water/Alcohol on a Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2007, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
Water/Alcohol on a Daily Driver?

I'm sure there is some thread out there and on some page this question is answered. I just dont have a ton of time to read though everything being I'm in the Military and work an insane amount of hours (mostly in the field) getting ready for deployment.

Current mods:
Built engine consisting of:
crower rods
arias pistons

dual vale springs and retainers
arp head studs

Modifications:
GSC 264/272 cams
hks Downpipe
Cat Delete
RMR cat back
hallman MBC
HKS intake
ACT Street Clutch (30k miles on it normal driving)
FP- Green turbo
HKS DLI 2 Ignition
Precision 880cc Injectors
AMS IC and Piping

Is it possiable to tune a car so it can run on water/alco spray and run with out it? This car is a daily driver as you know, but I plan to do some AutoX and Track days. (sometime in the future if I get time off) Is there a way to put this system in the car and only run it when I need like when I race with out having to change the tune? Let me know your ideas on this.

Thanks!

Last edited by Evo11V; Oct 28, 2007 at 10:08 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 08:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you need to have 2 maps and the tactrix cable to switch tunes...

Or what i use to do...

pump gas map with 14 pounds and have the kit turn at at 16 pounds....

ebc with 2 settings for 14 and 30. worked very well and i liked being able to run both pump gas and meth....

Sure the pump gas weak wasnt the most powerful, but im not racing when im on pump, thats just for cruising around so i dont waste the meth.

Cheers!
Old Oct 27, 2007, 08:18 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
you need to have 2 maps and the tactrix cable to switch tunes...

Or what i use to do...

ebc with 2 settings for 14 and 30. worked very well and i liked being able to run both pump gas and meth....

Sure the pump gas weak wasnt the most powerful, but im not racing when im on pump, thats just for cruising around so i dont waste the meth.

Cheers!
+1 to that...
Old Oct 27, 2007, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

I have the Green turbo with the 18PSI actuator... I forgot to mention that
Old Oct 27, 2007, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

I have been running meth on a dd for 3 years now, I think I had one of the first kits rb sold and tuned. I have had no problems, all you need to do is run a failsafe and check th system regularly. I like to keep the tune conservative so if you do lose meth the engine stands a chance. I also keep my boost to about 26psi max and run the smallest snow nozzle.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 08:35 AM
Account Disabled

or get the cobb accessport and get your tuner to tune a map for alcky and a map for 93 oct. or watever and then you can jus switch the maps on the go when you want
Old Oct 27, 2007, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Since you already have the 18 PSI actuator, you'd want to tune your WI to come on after the actuator pressure. When you don't want to run the WI, or when your low level indicator trips, it'll trip your MAC valve or EBC, and you'll run wastegate pressure. This is how I have my system set up (though with the stocker and 12 PSI), and when I run road courses, I simply turn off the WI.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

With my kit, I run meth daily. Mine comes in at about 10psi on the stock turbo. I don't boost that high in normal driving so it just doens't spray.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 10:52 AM
Account Disabled

^^I don't daily drive but, when I do Im blasting meth all the time. lol
Old Oct 27, 2007, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
you need to have 2 maps and the tactrix cable to switch tunes.
Or what i use to do...
Cheers!
Originally Posted by Ultimate CC
+1 to that...
Originally Posted by 4ringturncoat
I have been running meth on a dd for 3 years now, I think I had one of the first kits rb sold and tuned. I have had no problems, all you need to do is run a failsafe and check th system regularly. I like to keep the tune conservative so if you do lose meth the engine stands a chance. I also keep my boost to about 26psi max and run the smallest snow nozzle.

Just have to see now what I'm going to do....

Last edited by Evo11V; Oct 27, 2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

you can do it on the same tune/map, if you know what you're doing or get someone to tune it that does. Basically, you tune up to 18#'s for regular pump gas. Then, when you raise boost on water/meth, you will be accessing new/higher load cells that you tune for the water/meth. Most likely you'll want to start spraying before 18#'s, so when the water/meth is flowing below 18#'s, you're tune won't be ideal (too rich, less timing) since it's basically for pump gas only. Yes, it's a compromise, but it can be done. Jestr can do this for you.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

With the Aquamist DDS3 you can have it setup so that with your system activated you raise boost. Its simple and does not involve fuel tuning for optimal results while using methanol it does but it does fit in nicely and so + results.

For optimal results you want to tune for methanol and with that comes a danger if methanol injection system has a failure. For this you can tune so as to not be so greedy and have it so that the tune is still strong and safe on its own but shines more so with methanol system activation. With that comes the responsibility that the right foot does not get heavy and very aggressive during daily driving without leaning over and pushing the button on the gauge to activate first.

Theres a couple of different ways to approach activation and failure......but they can depend on whats already installed and what will be installed OTHER then the methanol injection kit. All kits can add methanol but they do not alter the tune for methanol and some kits have an output so that when theres a failure it can inform another device or component to do something......like dump boost.

If I did not want to have or could not afford to have a setup that consisted of the ability to switch EMS or PCM maps, I would look at 1) raise boost on methanol injection system activation 2) tweak the existing tune without the methanol injection system being activated and then when it is activated take the results I get AND have the failsafe setup to dump boost on failure 3) go with 1 or 2 right now and start planing on getting a system that allows me to switch maps as simply as possible.

Last edited by aqmist; Oct 28, 2007 at 10:38 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

the two options I've considered:

1. two tunes: One for Alcohol injection, one with out. Switch between tunes on laptop; This is exactly what I want to do just the only drawback is on the fly activation (for those super cars)

2. Get the car tuned with Alcohol injection. When I don't want to use the spray just run failsafe mode.

I'm not sure which I will choose. Once I talk to my tuner (Iveytune) he will discuss with me his idea or help me choose. I may just wait until spring for the Aquamist system anyway. It defiantly has come a long way from the first systems, and I'm impressed, and will be happy for sure.

I'll keep everyone informed to what I do so others can use this to aid them if they have a similar question to be answered when they decide to go Alcohol inj
Old Oct 28, 2007, 01:13 PM
Former Sponsor

If you have one map that consist of the following conditions:

Boost up to 20psi: rich afr and standard ignition.
Boost above 20psi: leaner afr and more advance ignition.

Use the Aquamist's BCV control output to lift boost via a MAC valve. When the system is turned off, you will be driving with a safe map up to 20psi.

No need to use lap top to switch MAP.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Richard L
If you have one map that consist of the following conditions:

Boost up to 20psi: rich afr and standard ignition.
Boost above 20psi: leaner afr and more advance ignition.

Use the Aquamist's BCV control output to lift boost via a MAC valve. When the system is turned off, you will be driving with a safe map up to 20psi.

No need to use lap top to switch MAP.
Is there any downside to this in respect to having the math come on during spool up? Or is it such a small time frame on a stock turbo that the difference is negligible?

Quick Reply: Water/Alcohol on a Daily Driver?