Seeking advice from CoolingMist users

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2007, 05:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking advice from CoolingMist users

I am thinking of purchasing this setup from a friend

http://www.coolingmist.com/detailmai...trunkstainless

and was wondering if anyone here is using this without a failsafe. This system has an LED warning that comes up if the startup diagnostic fails, but otherwise does not appear to have any warning if a nozzle gets clogged.

As I have not dabbled in alky/water mix before, I'm not sure if this is a good and safe setup. I'm looking to use this for track days, and need to understand if the engine is going to blow up the moment something goes wrong.

I'm not the sort who would forget to refill the mix tank, but as we know it, **** happens in life, and I need to know if the engine will be damaged if I see a warning light from the system and immediately pull into the pits.

Or is engine death instantaneous?
Old Dec 3, 2007, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ghoonk
I am thinking of purchasing this setup from a friend

http://www.coolingmist.com/detailmai...trunkstainless

and was wondering if anyone here is using this without a failsafe. This system has an LED warning that comes up if the startup diagnostic fails, but otherwise does not appear to have any warning if a nozzle gets clogged.

As I have not dabbled in alky/water mix before, I'm not sure if this is a good and safe setup. I'm looking to use this for track days, and need to understand if the engine is going to blow up the moment something goes wrong.

I'm not the sort who would forget to refill the mix tank, but as we know it, **** happens in life, and I need to know if the engine will be damaged if I see a warning light from the system and immediately pull into the pits.

Or is engine death instantaneous?
If you are not tuning for your water injection a failsafe is not as critical. If you plan to push your engine beyond its limits, raise boost, tune the engine...then a failsafe is more important.

The kit you are referencing has the best hose in the indusry. Stainless steel with teflon. Chances of a hose rupture/melting is almost 0.

The nozzles are removable and can be cleaned. I recommend that every 3-5 months you clean them to prevent a clog.

If you want a failsafe, we have this one.

http://coolingmist.com/detailmain.aspx?pid=1099

SMART INJECTION DOCUMENTATION

This is a fantastic failsafe as well as a device activation system and a 7 channel datalogger. You can even program a FREQUENCY based EVO MAF signal and send to Vari-Cool to run on a 2 D with MAF and Boost.

[Regards,

David
Old Dec 3, 2007, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks, David -- you're quick and informative as usual

Quick questions:

1. What's the point of not tuning for water/methanol? Or are there people here who leave the tune alone and run this? If so, what kind of gains can be found? I'm not looking only for peak gains, and frankly could care less if my peak power and torque remains unchanged, but i get more power and torque across the entire powerband

2. Also, assume that I clean the nozzles and they don't clog (if they do, I wouldn't know, or would the LED blink and warn me?), and that the lines don't rupture, what else could go wrong in an alky/water system? I'm assuming that the diagnostic would be able to detect a failing pump and warn me via the LED, right?

Cheers

Kenneth
Old Dec 3, 2007, 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ghoonk
Thanks, David -- you're quick and informative as usual

Quick questions:

1. What's the point of not tuning for water/methanol? Or are there people here who leave the tune alone and run this? If so, what kind of gains can be found? I'm not looking only for peak gains, and frankly could care less if my peak power and torque remains unchanged, but i get more power and torque across the entire powerband

I wasnt trying to impress my opinion of tuning vs non tuning. in the entire water injection world that we know probably only 1/2 tune. My guess is that in the EVO world 90% tune. Many customers are simply looking for a safety buffer rather than just extra power. Without tuning gains can certaily be found. Typically engine timing advance due to colder temps and just from being more efficient gains as much as 10% can be made. But for big numbers tuning is essential. Its a matter of perspective.

2. Also, assume that I clean the nozzles and they don't clog (if they do, I wouldn't know, or would the LED blink and warn me?), and that the lines don't rupture, what else could go wrong in an alky/water system? I'm assuming that the diagnostic would be able to detect a failing pump and warn me via the LED, right?

Cheers

Kenneth
The smart injection failsafe can do many things.

Detect failing hardware (pump, checkvalve, solenoid)
Detect clog nozzle, detect hose pop off
Open wastegate solenoid
disable boost controller
Activate or de-activate any device based on engine sensors or custom sensors.

If your just looking for an LED to light up, you can save your money and just buy this:

http://coolingmist.com/detailmain.aspx?pid=05

I would ask you though to download the 30 page PDF, because we did many, many screen prints and setup alot of examples to show you what it can do.

Smart Injection PDF

Atleast once you down load it, you know if that is what your looking for.