Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Who here has blown a motor from running meth...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2007, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how long have you been running meth?
Old Dec 15, 2007, 05:38 AM
Account Disabled

3+ years once again any links abner?
Old Dec 15, 2007, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

search my friend
Old Dec 15, 2007, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Same thing on the Srt-4 forum.........search for those threads. Thing is trying to find the relevent info in the SRT-4 W/A via searching is going to take awhile.

Another thing is that not that many people post up how they tuned lean and then blew up there motor when the methanol injection system failed them......they usually keep quite and go about rebuilding because they are embarrassed about the failure. I only remember one SRT-4 owner who was 100% completely honest and openly discussed things about the conditions in which he lost his motor.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 08:37 AM
Former Sponsor

I blew up my motor while racing at Summit Point in 2006. Lost the ring land on piston #1 due to detonation. Was testing one of snows flow control solenoids and it failed close due to not being compatible with methanol. Should have been using my own Fail Safe, but we sold them as fast as we could build them, so my bad. No doubt I will be using the IFS-10 next time after the rebuild.

Snow now sells a different solenoid which I have never used. I highly recommend that anyone using their old black square shape solenoid throw it out and get a replacement if you are running anything other then water.

Best regards,

Dan
Old Dec 15, 2007, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

I wanna hear what Dan will say?......

Originally Posted by Labonte MotorSports
I blew up my motor while racing at Summit Point in 2006. Lost the ring land on piston #1 due to detonation. Was testing one of snows flow control solenoids and it failed close due to not being compatible with methanol. Should have been using my own Fail Safe, but we sold them as fast as we could build them, so my bad. No doubt I will be using the IFS-10 next time after the rebuild.

Snow now sells a different solenoid which I have never used. I highly recommend that anyone using their old black square shape solenoid throw it out and get a replacement if you are running anything other then water.

Best regards,

Dan
Old Dec 15, 2007, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Best regards,

Dan
what exactly failed in the solenoid? Oring swelling?
Old Dec 15, 2007, 09:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
My kit malfunctioned at Summit Point during a time attack this year and my Aquamist DDS3 failsafe worked perfectly and cut boost to wastegate pressure. I didn't get out of it either since I was running against the clock. My mind said GO GO GO and just ignored the fact that I kept cutting to wastegate. It was only when my session was over that I realized what was happening. This is why a failsafe is so important. When you are in competition you can't expect to be watching a wideband or looking for a spray light -- you need something automatic to save the day.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

which kit malfunctioned?
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
My kit malfunctioned at Summit Point during a time attack this year and my Aquamist DDS3 failsafe worked perfectly and cut boost to wastegate pressure. I didn't get out of it either since I was running against the clock. My mind said GO GO GO and just ignored the fact that I kept cutting to wastegate. It was only when my session was over that I realized what was happening. This is why a failsafe is so important. When you are in competition you can't expect to be watching a wideband or looking for a spray light -- you need something automatic to save the day.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 11:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by evovin
which kit malfunctioned?
HFS-5. My on-track failure was case #1 in Richard's recent thread.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I have blown three engines from lack of flow. Two were from pump failures, one from running tank low.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Do you mind if you share which alky kit's pump failed?
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I have blown three engines from lack of flow. Two were from pump failures, one from running tank low.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 06:25 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
Were these on your dsm? Or was this on your evo? BTW hows your evo doing now a days...you play anymore with nitromethane?
Old Dec 16, 2007, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

I was also wondering if anyone had the "whitewashing" the block walls? I have been contemplating for a while now whether to get meth or not
Old Dec 16, 2007, 07:07 PM
Account Disabled

I know for certain that ct9agsr has blown his motor 3x! 2twice on SMC pump failure and 1nce on a selftune. Also I know ive seen on evom many SMC costumers have blown motors.

Quick Reply: Who here has blown a motor from running meth...