Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Who here has blown a motor from running meth...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2007, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was JUST about to post up a thread with the same question and make a polll of which kits were failing. I searched the alky section and couldn't find anyone posting up their meth kit failures.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

I have seen several component failures at our shop and one customer who lost a motor after we tuned him.

One point I would like to make here is that I think many of the component failures were a result of the customer not realizing the kits they were using were not rated for 100% meth.

That being said, I have seen some of snows components fail (pump and shutoff valve) both failed because the customer was running 100% meth on components that were rated for 50%.

Other case was a customer we tuned on an smc kit that had a pump failure under wot. This one resulted in a rod through the block if I'm not mistaken.

The above is the main reason I started researching the various kits and failsafe options that are available.

A couple weeks ago I had a guy come in with a snow kit that was not installed properly (the guy with the component failures). Whomever did the boost solenoid bypass install did it backwards, so when the kit fail-safed boost went through the roof (had the solenoid on the line that feeds the lower port on a TiAl wastegate rather than the line that feeds the top port.) Add to that the fact that seals were gone in the shutoff valve so when the meth kicked in it hosed down the engine bay with pure VP M1.

Scared the @#it out of me to say the least......

I guess I say all this to just say that you cannot always blame the kit, I'm sure many failures are a result of end users not reading the included literature and installers not installing things properly....

BTW, I use Aquamist. I have also spoken with LaBontte recently and I think they also offer a great kit with plenty of options.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mad_VIII
I have seen several component failures at our shop and one customer who lost a motor after we tuned him.

One point I would like to make here is that I think many of the component failures were a result of the customer not realizing the kits they were using were not rated for 100% meth.

That being said, I have seen some of snows components fail (pump and shutoff valve) both failed because the customer was running 100% meth on components that were rated for 50%.

Other case was a customer we tuned on an smc kit that had a pump failure under wot. This one resulted in a rod through the block if I'm not mistaken.

The above is the main reason I started researching the various kits and failsafe options that are available.

A couple weeks ago I had a guy come in with a snow kit that was not installed properly (the guy with the component failures). Whomever did the boost solenoid bypass install did it backwards, so when the kit fail-safed boost went through the roof (had the solenoid on the line that feeds the lower port on a TiAl wastegate rather than the line that feeds the top port.) Add to that the fact that seals were gone in the shutoff valve so when the meth kicked in it hosed down the engine bay with pure VP M1.

Scared the @#it out of me to say the least......

I guess I say all this to just say that you cannot always blame the kit, I'm sure many failures are a result of end users not reading the included literature and installers not installing things properly....

BTW, I use Aquamist. I have also spoken with LaBontte recently and I think they also offer a great kit with plenty of options.
How is your HFS-5 kit holding up?
Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

How about smc kit? how many failed
Old Dec 28, 2007, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

I was running app 700 cc/min into my suby motor, when I had a leak at my in-line filter (could have been caused by road debris, it is accessible from in front of the rad).

I was tuned for 50/50. (AFRs app 11.8-11.9)

I put in WWF cause that is all I had available. I tried to compensate by adding some 100% meth. I don't think I added enough, cause AFRs went to 12.8 !!!

Ring-land number 2 went.

Verdict: my fault for adding improper ratio of alky
Old Dec 28, 2007, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

blew mine
Old Dec 28, 2007, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evolved83
How is your HFS-5 kit holding up?
It's holding up just fine so far, I'm still running 50/50 at the moment with a 1.0mm nozzle. I should be retuning this weekend with 2x .8mm nozzles and 75% VPM1 / 25% distilled water.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by saiyanzzrage
blew mine

Any more info??? what setup were you using, what was the mode of failure?
Old Dec 29, 2007, 06:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mad_VIII;
It's holding up just fine so far, I'm still running 50/50 at the moment with a 1.0mm nozzle. I should be retuning this weekend with 2x .8mm nozzles and 75% VPM1 / 25% distilled water.
You are going to love this new set up.

Have you managed to integrate the flow sensor output to trim fuel and modify timing yet?
Old Dec 29, 2007, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my buddy in vegas (SiCKlEyWiKeD) did with his ix and him and a buddy rebuilt his motor
Old Dec 31, 2007, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Richard L
You are going to love this new set up.

Have you managed to integrate the flow sensor output to trim fuel and modify timing yet?
Hey Richard, happy new year

No,
I have not done that yet. I'm about to update my post on the Waterinjection form with details from this weekends retune..... I got it up to 350whp on our dynodynamics with 1 x 1.0 and 1x .8 nozzle running 75/25. I had a lot more room up top, zero knock from 5K and up, but it was very unhappy down low.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 08:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Happy new year

What was happening down low?
Old Jan 1, 2008, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Richard L
Happy new year

What was happening down low?
It was carrying knock counts from about 3500 - 4500. I'll have to look at the plots again, but it seems like it was starting when the spray kicked in. I was mainly focused on learning to run the dyno myself rather than the tuning and we had some paying customers waiting so I kept the session short. Today I will be hooking up one of the extra digital inputs on the haltech for logging the actual timing (as you know, tuning with an interceptor you cannot rely on ecu reported timing numbers unless you are just modifying fuel). Once I have the timing and flow sensor output logged int eh haltech, I'll go back and try again
Old Jan 1, 2008, 06:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Knock count could be caused by misfiring or abnormal combustion.

Did you put the supplied restrictor inline?

A logged file will help.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 08:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Not a lot of detail in this thread, but the owner believes that the motor went due to a failure of his kit:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=320344

Quick Reply: Who here has blown a motor from running meth...