Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Aquamist 2D -> HFS-1 or HFS-5 ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2008, 09:01 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Aquamist 2D -> HFS-1 or HFS-5 ?

Does anyone know what parts are required to upgrade an older 2D kit to a HFS-1 or HFS-5?

I have a friend with an S4 with a 2D kit, and he is looking to move his tank from his front windshield washer reservoir to something trunk-mounted. He is looking to wire in some crazy priming pump that will run from the back to the front, and was advised by someone to use a standard windshield washer pump to do this.

I told him it it might make more sense to just upgrade to the newer pump and shut-off-valve style kits. He already has a junction box and DDS3, so I'm thinking all he needs is some wiring, the newer/bigger pump, and either the high-speed valve or the slower HFS-1 valve....and a tank of course.

Please help if you have any ideas!
Old Feb 15, 2008, 01:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
If his flow demand is met with the Aquamist race pump supplied in the 2D kit, then I think he'd be better off sticking with that since that's a superior pump design and he already has it.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 05:37 PM
EvoM Moderator

How is it better? Does it have the high-speed shut-off valves like the HFS kits have?
Old Feb 15, 2008, 08:29 PM
EvoM Guru

You can check out the specifics of the kits on Aquamist's website, but I believe that the 2D is similar to an HFS-5, except that it uses the Shurflow pump rather than the Aquamist race pump. Both use the high speed valve. The magnetic pump is a lot smaller, lighter and more elegant in design. It's what the rally cars run.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 03:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scheides
Does anyone know what parts are required to upgrade an older 2D kit to a HFS-1 or HFS-5?

I have a friend with an S4 with a 2D kit, and he is looking to move his tank from his front windshield washer reservoir to something trunk-mounted. He is looking to wire in some crazy priming pump that will run from the back to the front, and was advised by someone to use a standard windshield washer pump to do this.

I told him it it might make more sense to just upgrade to the newer pump and shut-off-valve style kits. He already has a junction box and DDS3, so I'm thinking all he needs is some wiring, the newer/bigger pump, and either the high-speed valve or the slower HFS-1 valve....and a tank of course.

I believe all you need is the following:

1. Shurflo pump with manifold and fittings:
2. A pump harness.
3. 22cc Accumulator
4. a set of restrictor.
5. 6mm to M5 adaptor for the HSV inlet port.
6. 18 feet of 6mm nylon hose.

The 2d comes with the HSV.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:34 PM
EvoM Moderator

So really the big upgrade would be to the new shurflow pump from the HFS-series kits, right? What is the difference between the pump from the 2D kit and this newer one? Keeping the line pressurized 100% of the time? Anything else I'm missing that might make this worth or not worth doing?

Since the 2D comes with the HSV, I am tempted to say that just leaving the kit as it is might be the best 'solution'.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:46 PM
Former Sponsor

So really the big upgrade would be to the new shurflow pump from the HFS-series kits, right? What is the difference between the pump from the 2D kit and this newer one? Keeping the line pressurized 100% of the time? Anything else I'm missing that might make this worth or not worth doing?

Since the 2D comes with the HSV, I am tempted to say that just leaving the kit as it is might be the best 'solution'.

The Shurflo pump upgrade is more appropriate for 100% meth injection. The 2d kit was designed for 100% WI originally so the maximum capacity is abouit 330cc/min, iwhtout accumulator or priming pump.

Since alcohol injection is becoming more popular these days, demand for higher flow from a WAI is increasing so we offered the HFS-xx system with the largest Shurflo pump available, in case next year users again want more flow next year.

Unlike the 2d system, the HFS-5 only actives the pump on demand. The accumulator is for keeping a small amount of pressurised water for the next injection event.

The 2d is still the system most popular system globally, the HFS-5 is more popular in the United States.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 01:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Is the guy's name Jim?
Old Feb 18, 2008, 01:40 PM
EvoM Moderator

Yes, Stage3 S4 with RS6/K04 Hybrids, he put down about 400whp on dyno dynamics last weekend with the 2d kit. He has RS4 SMIC's and everyone was swooning over his low intake temps. He runs either 50/50 methanol or 100% methanol, not sure which.

I think stepping up to the HFS-5 would be the way to go for his setup. Sounds cheap enough.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 02:16 PM
Former Sponsor

HFS-5 is definitely the way to go for him.

I will email him the list.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

HFS-5 seems the way to go with the new fail safe
Old Feb 22, 2008, 05:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Boosted EVO 9
HFS-5 seems the way to go with the new fail safe
The failsafe predates the HFS-5 kit actually.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
The failsafe predates the HFS-5 kit actually.
Yes you're right . I've been running the excellent Aquamist failsafe and the HSV for many years now.

Hey scheides, what size nozzles does your friend's Audi run with his current 2D set up?
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:00 PM
EvoM Moderator

2x .6mm nozzles, one in each pipe leading towards the throttle body.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Richard L
I believe all you need is the following:

1. Shurflo pump with manifold and fittings:
2. A pump harness.
3. 22cc Accumulator
4. a set of restrictor.
5. 6mm to M5 adaptor for the HSV inlet port.
6. 18 feet of 6mm nylon hose.

The 2d comes with the HSV.
Richard,
I want to upgrade my system 2d to HSF-5. I have a DDS3 v3, what do i need to make this work with the HSF-5 system? Just a v8 junction box? Is the gauge different?
Thanks.